British Speedway Forum
lbw

CARDIFF to be or not to be?

I have enjoyed going to Cardiff over the years & I've been at least a dozen times staying over on both Friday and Saturday nights. 

I'm not sure how many years there is left on the contract but with new right's holders coming in isn't it time to look to move away from there? 

I say this because I believe staging a GP in London will give the sport as a whole a massive boost. 

Take the London Stadium where West Ham play that could 'easily' be converted to speedway with the shape of wot was the athletics track. 

Plus the capacity is lower so it won't look so empty. 

There are many other stadia that could be used especially if it's goin to end up as the double GPs, NSS, Bradford & stadia in London etc..... 

I can't see that a double GP in Cardiff would work financially as it already appears that even in Poland that less attend on the first day. 

And it still seems odd that there is a GP in a country, Wales, that doesn't even have any league speedway. 

So as much as I've enjoyed Cardiff maybe it's time to move on????

Edited by PirateShip

Problem is Cardiff attracts about 35 to 40 thousand and no other stadium holds that many so there would be a lot of disappointed fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PirateShip said:

I have enjoyed going to Cardiff over the years & I've been at least a dozen times staying over on both Friday and Saturday nights. 

I'm not sure how many years there is left on the contract but with new right's holders coming in isn't it time to look to move away from there? 

I say this because I believe staging a GP in London will give the sport as a whole a massive boost. 

Take the London Stadium where West Ham play that could 'easily' be converted to speedway with the shape of wot was the athletics track. 

Plus the capacity is lower so it won't look so empty. 

There are many other stadia that could be used especially if it's goin to end up as the double GPs, NSS, Bradford & stadia in London etc..... 

I can't see that a double GP in Cardiff would work financially as it already appears that even in Poland that less attend on the first day. 

And it still seems odd that there is a GP in a country, Wales, that doesn't even Have any league speedway. 

So as much as I've enjoyed Cardiff it's time to move on. 

How can there be any GP contracts going beyond 2021 when BSI lose the contract ?

Eurosport Events have one new contract in place with Warsaw and the PZM for 2022.

29 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

How can there be any GP contracts going beyond 2021 when BSI lose the contract ?

Eurosport Events have one new contract in place with Warsaw and the PZM for 2022.

Good point, but would also like to know your thoughts on staying at Cardiff or not :t:

Edited by PirateShip

10 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Good point, but would also like to know your thoughts on staying at Cardiff or not :t:

BSI had one flagship it was Cardiff. I can`t see any reason whatsoever for Eurosport  events not to want to sign another long term contract.

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

BSI had one flagship it was Cardiff. I can`t see any reason whatsoever for Eurosport  events not to want to sign another long term contract.

True with BSI the flagship was/is Cardiff but now that Warsaw as come along with a sell out 50.000 maybe other UK stadia could be looked at.

If it stays at Cardiff I will still enjoy going there just.......the lure of using a London stadium raises the bar again for me. More people would travel there than to Cardiff.

Long while since I went to speedway at West Ham :) but if it were to be logistically possible the London Stadium gets my vote over Cardiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Britain will get a SGP, EuroSport would be crazy to look at any other venue rather than Cardiff. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, screm said:

Britain will get a SGP, EuroSport would be crazy to look at any other venue rather than Cardiff. 

I’m not sure given the state of British speedway you would get 40000 today. Ive seen some awful tracks at Cardiff. Shame the NSS couldn’t hold a few more.

1 hour ago, bill94d said:

I’m not sure given the state of British speedway you would get 40000 today. Ive seen some awful tracks at Cardiff. Shame the NSS couldn’t hold a few more.

i think they will because its a weekend away .40.000 how many actually go to speedway on a regular basis i wonder ?

Negative people on here moan about the track but the fact is that there wasnt one bad event a cardiff. As a live spectacle it was brilliant. I went every year except 2017 was always a great atmosphere and Id be suprised if there was a single person at the stadium who went home dissapointed. Loads of people who arent Speedway regulars go to Cardiff. Madness if they dont have a Staduim in the UK. Yes Belle Vue is a great track and I wish it was also in the GPs. But the Stadium events are something else.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

Negative people on here moan about the track but the fact is that there wasnt one bad event a cardiff.

Judging by most of the comments on here, you could have fooled me...

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

Id be suprised if there was a single person at the stadium who went home dissapointed. 

Loads of 'em, apparently - mostly from the BSF...

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

But the Stadium events are something else.

British speedway fans clearly prefer standing on mud and broken concrete, covered by corrugated iron and a tarpaulin...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPNY said:

Negative people on here moan about the track but the fact is that there wasnt one bad event a cardiff. As a live spectacle it was brilliant. I went every year except 2017 was always a great atmosphere and Id be suprised if there was a single person at the stadium who went home dissapointed. Loads of people who arent Speedway regulars go to Cardiff. Madness if they dont have a Staduim in the UK. Yes Belle Vue is a great track and I wish it was also in the GPs. But the Stadium events are something else.

I distinctly remember a bad one at Cardiff that I attended when they had to relay the track overnight after practice. 

Wasn't much better for the GP as it rutted up badly and Craig Cook, who was meeting reserve, gave up when he had a outing coz it was that bad. 

The shale had been stored open to the elements and it got slightly wet! But u live and learn. 

Edited by PirateShip

Was a rumour a while ago that the new Tottenham stadium was being looked at, and I think the head groundsman is a speedway fan

53 minutes ago, Neila said:

Was a rumour a while ago that the new Tottenham stadium was being looked at, and I think the head groundsman is a speedway fan

Kelvin Tatum was given a guided tour by the head groundsman and yep he is a speedway fan. The video is on YouTube. Thank you for reminding me. 

Of course we know it takes a lot more than the head groundsman being a speedway fan to getting a GP there, but a foot in the door is better than having it shut in your face. 

The stadium can easily be converted for any event as the pitch is stored in an underground car park behind the stands. 

Now that would be an amazing stadium to have a GP in,  yes the show would truly be a spectacular event. 

Bring it on! :t:

Edited by PirateShip