British Speedway Forum
lbw

CARDIFF to be or not to be?

Cardiff was (and hopefully will be again) a jewel on the SGP calendar.  Poor track conditions are now a decade ago. The British SGP should remain at Cardiff.  No discussion.

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 3

Mad to think its been over 8 years since I attended a GP in Cardiff but would be mad to move it. Bang in the middle of the city , brilliant day out and usually pretty good event as a whole. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Kelvin Tatum was given a guided tour by the head groundsman and yep he is a speedway fan. The video is on YouTube. Thank you for reminding me. 

Of course we know it takes a lot more than the head groundsman being a speedway fan to getting a GP there, but a foot in the door is better than having it shut in your face. 

The stadium can easily be converted for any event as the pitch is stored in an underground car park behind the stands. 

Now that would be an amazing stadium to have a GP in,  yes the show would truly be a spectacular event. 

Bring it on! :t:

Plus the owner of Tottenham will want some money back to cover stadium build costs, and to showcase the stadium moving forward for more events. Fingers crossed for speedway in a new stadium, plus hotels in London won't rip people off as much as in Cardiff

50 minutes ago, Neila said:

Plus the owner of Tottenham will want some money back to cover stadium build costs, and to showcase the stadium moving forward for more events. Fingers crossed for speedway in a new stadium, plus hotels in London won't rip people off as much as in Cardiff

If it was to happen it would be just as easy and cheaper to stay on the outskirts of London then get public transport, bus, tube, train etc into the capital. 

2 hours ago, Neila said:

Yes because hotels in London are notoriously cheap aren't they? 

Does the spurs stadium have a roof? 

Edited by Noodles

It amazes me that Cardiff has averaged around 40,000 from 2001 to 2019 and yet its popularity is being questioned. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Kelvin Tatum was given a guided tour by the head groundsman and yep he is a speedway fan. The video is on YouTube. Thank you for reminding me. 

Of course we know it takes a lot more than the head groundsman being a speedway fan to getting a GP there, but a foot in the door is better than having it shut in your face. 

The stadium can easily be converted for any event as the pitch is stored in an underground car park behind the stands. 

Now that would be an amazing stadium to have a GP in,  yes the show would truly be a spectacular event. 

Bring it on! :t:

Maybe my Tottenham season ticket holder son would take me as a 75th. Birthday present.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

It amazes me that Cardiff has averaged around 40,000 from 2001 to 2019 and yet its popularity is being questioned. 

Sometimes despite something's popularity it's still worth looking at other options to move it forward. 

Speedway itself was popular at one time but other options have not been explored to keep it that way. 

40000 at Cardiff,? I inderstand officially it to be nearer 30,000 - 35,000 , but anyways why not go for 60000 by relocating??? 

I enjoy Cardiff but I'm sure a lot more people will be attracted by the sights and sounds of London when attending. 

That's where speedway promoter's fail, they are happy to get a break even figure instead of aiming for double or more. 

Edited by PirateShip
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the BSPA fail on many fronts however as a total package I struggle to see how  they can upgrade from Cardiff. Wembley? Too big. Spurs, not a great area, nothing to do round the stadium. And of course neither of those have a roof. Olympic stadium possibly. I believe the roof would cover the track and  at least theres the mall, bars n restaurants  near. On the whole Cardiff ticks most boxes tho

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPNY said:

I think the BSPA fail on many fronts however as a total package I struggle to see how  they can upgrade from Cardiff. Wembley? Too big. Spurs, not a great area, nothing to do round the stadium. And of course neither of those have a roof. Olympic stadium possibly. I believe the roof would cover the track and  at least theres the mall, bars n restaurants  near. On the whole Cardiff ticks most boxes tho

Bspa have nothing to do with the GP it's now discovery who own Eurosport and other channels who now run the GP's, previously it was bsi part of a big sports promotion group

11 hours ago, Noodles said:

Yes because hotels in London are notoriously cheap aren't they? 

Does the spurs stadium have a roof? 

Would think of all the hotels in and around London will be lots cheaper than the few hotels in Cardiff,. Only 2 GP stadiums have a full roof. Cardiff and Warsaw so what does it matter !!

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Would think of all the hotels in and around London will be lots cheaper than the few hotels in Cardiff,. Only 2 GP stadiums have a full roof. Cardiff and Warsaw so what does it matter !!

Exactly, what is all the banging on about a roof for? 

Obviously it can save a meeting being from rained off but if BSI & now Discovery went everywhere demanding a roof then they wouldn't get very far in staging a GP in a posh stadium.

Could always stage a GP on centre court at Wimbledon I guess?! :rofl:

And no it wasn't my brainy idea to have the SON at Belle Vue in October, but you know something there will still be a full house there including me! :t:

Edited by PirateShip

7 hours ago, Neila said:

So hiring and installing a track in London costs the same as hiring the likes of Mallila, Vojens etc.?  I think the costs involved matters to the organisers, who would want some assurances that the event will go ahead whatever the weather. 

It also gives assurances to travelling fans, particularly those travelling from abroad. 

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1