British Speedway Forum
lbw

CARDIFF to be or not to be?

5 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Exactly, what is all the banging on about a roof for? 

Obviously it can save a meeting being from rained off but if BSI & now Discovery went everywhere demanding a roof then they wouldn't get very far in staging a GP in a posh stadium.

Could always stage a GP on centre court at Wimbledon I guess?! :rofl:

And no it wasn't my brainy idea to have the SON at Belle Vue in October, but you know something there will still be a full house there including me! :t:

A full house of 4000 is hardly impressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Just hope it's not gonna be like the Belgian F1 GP all standing/sitting in the wet and cold  October evening in Manchester :blink: But I will be one of them ;)

. Ps not many standard speedway stadiums would have a capacity of more than 4000,that will take on water !! and fairly central for most speedway fans

3 hours ago, Noodles said:

It's usually far better having a FULL stadium even if the capacity is far lower as it will be for the SON in terms of creating an atmosphere. 

The atmosphere will be as good if not better than holding a meeting at a stadium that isn't half full!!!!! 

If the circa 40,000 at Cardiff was held in a stadium with a capacity of 40,000 then the atmosphere would far surpass Cardiff. Don't get me wrong the atmosphere at Cardiff is amazing but just imagine how much better it would be if the attendance met capacity. 

Smaller capacity for SON who cares? Atmosphere is more important! :t:

On 8/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, Neila said:

Plus the owner of Tottenham will want some money back to cover stadium build costs, and to showcase the stadium moving forward for more events. Fingers crossed for speedway in a new stadium, plus hotels in London won't rip people off as much as in Cardiff

Is that a fact, or just what you might imagine will happen.  Are you saying hotel prices in London, Manchester, Sheffield, Glasgow, Newcastle etc do not go up when there is a “big act” in town. Of course they do, it happens every where all the time, and not just in the UK.

I understand the Welsh government pays BSI handsomely to take the GP to Cardiff. If that would be the same in any new agreement, and the offer as a whole is better then anywhere else I would think Cardiff is the place.

Having said that, put the temporary stand up on bend 3/4 at NSS and get 9000 in, stream the event at £20 and get 30000-40000 round the world paying to watch and it’s made money.

A 2 day GP at the NSS would easily sell out and the atmosphere would be Bonkers. 

2 day events could be the future, can't see that working at Cardiff as I believe the attendance would drop dramatically. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

A 2 day GP at the NSS would easily sell out and the atmosphere would be Bonkers. 

2 day events could be the future, can't see that working at Cardiff as I believe the attendance would drop dramatically. 

So 8,000 fans in a stadium open to the elements over two nights is more appealing than 40,000 on one night? I don't think so.

• Like 5

As much as I prefer the track at Belle vue , the facilities and limited attendance available would be a non starter, yes although the Hotels at Cardiff can be expensive (!) and the journey down from darkest Cumbria is not ideal wether driving or via train , I still prefer Cardiff.

• Like 1

Cardiff has all you could want, city centre location with all the bars and restaurants, hotels if you want one, and a roof to guarantee no rain off

I don't know anywhere else that has these facilities 

If a GP in Britain is on the schedule, then i would imagine it will go back to 1 GP per weekend and not two

• Like 2

Will the Welsh government put money into the GP again, how instrumental was that at keeping the GP in Cardiff? Did they get Cardiff for free or was it through a grant? Who knows?

It annoys me greatly that Poland get so many GPs (even before Covid) and we get 1. They would easily sell out a Manchester GP in either May/Sep while still getting good numbers for Cardiff in July.

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RPNY said:

It annoys me greatly that Poland get so many GPs (even before Covid) and we get 1. They would easily sell out a Manchester GP in either May/Sep while still getting good numbers for Cardiff in July.

Whats the capacity of Belle Vue?

I beleive in 2016 for SWC it was close to 7000 with temp stands on the bends.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I beleive in 2016 for SWC it was close to 7000 with temp stands on the bends.

4000 this year without

I dont know if they are putting temp stands in or not but Id imagine for a GP they would

3 minutes ago, RPNY said:

I dont know if they are putting temp stands in or not but Id imagine for a GP they would

The ticket sales plan did not show stands on the 3/4 bend.

SON is usually earlier in the year, sort of June. I think this year with the uncertainty over Covid and green, amber, red, they put it at the end of the year.

If Covid allows, next year 2022 hopefully if will be a full GP series year and only one GP per track.

• Like 1