British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow 3rd September 2021 Championship.

Big meeting tomorrow at Wimborne Road with depleted Pirates taking on title challengers Glasgow. Poole are weakened by the loss of Stefan Neilsen with broken ribs, collarbone and punctured lung. Probably season ending for the rider who has had a very good season with us. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

As the averages changed Stefan went to reserve where he would probably have cleaned up. It couldn’t have happened at a worse time as we cannot bring in a replacement for him for the rest of the season, meaning guests all the way from now on.

Yesterday 60 tons of fresh shale were delivered to the stadium from Edinburgh. This is being mixed with clay. You cannot buy ready mixed shale and clay anymore. The top surface of the track is being removed and the new surface put down. It is hoped that the job will be finished today. Fingers crossed it binds with the current surface. Expect a very different track tomorrow night. Hopefully the riders will be able to practice on it tomorrow afternoon.

Awaiting news of reserve guest.

• Like 1

Coming down from Glasgow for my first ever visit to Poole, leaving very early on Friday morning, have no idea who will be guesting at reserve for us until Marcin gets all the necessary papework completed. Hopefully we can be competitive as the Pirates have a very strong team, especially the top 3, we only have Craig riding as a heat leader, the rest as second strings. Are there generally seats available in the grandstand or is it possible to use a camping chair as my friend and I currently have dodgy knees?

Would not advise bringing a camping chair in unless you arrive early to get front row on the bends. Better to go in the grandstand if you are there when gates open. Better view as well. It should be a very good meeting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Would not advise bringing a camping chair in unless you arrive early to get front row on the bends. Better to go in the grandstand if you are there when gates open. Better view as well. It should be a very good meeting.

Thanks, Hopefully we can get there early, as I am vertically challenged at 4ft 11, I always need to be at the front if not sitting in the stands, what time do the gates open?

Shame to hear about Stefan, top rider & a top gentleman. Here's to a speedy recovery :t:

Sadly I can't make it to Wimborne Road tomorrow due to costs of accommodation. Being on a Friday most places want you booking at least 2 nights as well. 

But come the play offs I'll be down there & maybe for the 2nd leg of the Cup Semi Final against Leicester. Plus the cup final of course......well we are the Pirates! :party:

.....wish the Towngate guest house was still a guest house on Wimborne Road, was a home from home for me with lovely people that ran it. Of everywhere I've stayed nothing else beats it, was off the charts :t:

Edited by PirateShip

24 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Shame to hear about Stefan, top rider & a top gentleman. Here's to a speedy recovery :t:

Sadly I can't make it to Wimborne Road tomorrow due to costs of accommodation. Being on a Friday most places want you booking at least 2 nights as well. 

But come the play offs I'll be down there & maybe for the 2nd leg of the Cup Semi Final against Leicester. Plus the cup final of course......well we are the Pirates! :party:

.....wish the Towngate guest house was still a guest house on Wimborne Road, was a home from home for me with lovely people that ran it. Of everywhere I've stayed nothing else beats it, was off the charts :t:

Doesnt help accomodation wise with the Bournemouth Airshow being on over this weekend, but its a great free Airshow to see, have you tried Air Bnb ?, i noticed yesterday there was accomodation available up in Creekmoor not to far from the Track.

Edited by heathen52
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Thanks, Hopefully we can get there early, as I am vertically challenged at 4ft 11, I always need to be at the front if not sitting in the stands, what time do the gates open?

Normally half 6. Lots of spaces in Grandstand vs Birmingham so should be okay. I know Glasgow is a bigger draw but still riding on an off night.

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Doesnt help accomodation wise with the Bournemouth Airshow being on over this weekend, but its a great free Airshow to see, have you tried Air Bnb ?, i noticed yesterday there was accomodation available up in Creekmoor not to far from the Track.

Glad we not riding Sunday this week as I live other side of spur Road, would be a nightmare getting home! 

Just now, heathen52 said:

Appreciate your suggestion :t:

But the Play Offs now take priority with the Pirates all but secured a top 2 place. 

I've been to many of the away meetings including the Northern Tour so lookin forward to the business end :party:

Don't fancy the stripes to take anything from this. Cookie guested for Plymouth earlier in season didn't do too well, broc did pretty well guesting for Scunthorpe but Sam and Connor won't have seen place before and don't expect Ricky to beat any or pirates top 3. If it's a 3.75 guest could be in for a spanking

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Big meeting tomorrow at Wimborne Road with depleted Pirates taking on title challengers Glasgow. Poole are weakened by the loss of Stefan Neilsen with broken ribs, collarbone and punctured lung. Probably season ending for the rider who has had a very good season with us. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

As the averages changed Stefan went to reserve where he would probably have cleaned up. It couldn’t have happened at a worse time as we cannot bring in a replacement for him for the rest of the season, meaning guests all the way from now on.

Yesterday 60 tons of fresh shale were delivered to the stadium from Edinburgh. This is being mixed with clay. You cannot buy ready mixed shale and clay anymore. The top surface of the track is being removed and the new surface put down. It is hoped that the job will be finished today. Fingers crossed it binds with the current surface. Expect a very different track tomorrow night. Hopefully the riders will be able to practice on it tomorrow afternoon.

Awaiting news of reserve guest.

I believe you can sign a replacement for a 'season-ending' injury!!  However thats not to say there is anyone suitable that is available?!

I reckon guests on a meeting per meeting basis and would be surprised if its not Zach Cook v Glasgow?!

57 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

I went to the Birmingham meeting on Sunday and there were lots of empty seats in the stand. 

I don't think you need to worry too much about being at the front either because the seats aren't the conventional plastic chairs, they are benches on top of quite steep terracing. We took our 10 year old grandson and there were much smaller children next to us sat at the back and they had a perfect view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alfie Bowtell guests for Stefan Neilsen  at reserve v Glasgow.

• Like 1

Shows how much weaker it makes us. Gives other clubs a sniff at the title now.

• Sad 1

Big loss is Stefan such an unlucky rider with injuries....was quite surprised he dropped to reserve but going to make him an even bigger miss for Poole and Sheffield ,gutted for him 

• Like 1