British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Glasgow 3rd September 2021 Championship.

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Brennan going to be a top rider but not ready to expect second heat leader position that ulle was posting. Another season ending with a whimper unfortunately. Personally I'd have replaced wells and guests for ulle

Brennan is a long term signing, well for a season anyway at Glasgow. He along with Jensen and Bailey will form the basis of the team next year. After that who knows.

• Sad 1

We couldn't win the league with a right on top of his game in Craig Cook , a flying Rasmus Jensen and a seriously decent rider in Claus Vissing so spot on re this team no chance

Well Pirates certainly put Glasgow to the sword tonight. Middle decided not to make any changes and gave full quota to Cook and Ruml, who perhaps didn’t deserve their 4th ride. But such was the dominance it mattered little and didn’t even bother put our two unbeaten riders out in heat 15.

To be honest I can’t see this Glasgow side challenging in the playoffs. Yes, they have Nowak to come in, but Poles often don’t travel well and certainly need to time settle in. This late in the season he is going to look at all the different shaped tracks and be expected to bang in big scores. Not likely.

It was reported that Stefan is hopefully out of hospital tomorrow. Cracked collarbone, 6 broken ribs and a pain turned lung. Time to recuperate.

As for the meeting. Track was very good. Smooth and no issues. Danny King said post meeting it was awesome.

Rory Schlein. Much improved from Wednesday.

Basso. Getting there. Lost position in heat 1 and went to back.Looks the part. Best meeting yet. Loads of improvement to come.

Steve Worrall. 12 point max. Great performance.

Ben Cook. Did well in his first but then struggled. Lucky to get 4 rides.

Danny King. Third max at home in a row. Great form. Lovely pass of Wells.

Ruml battled every race.

Danyon Hume paid 8 deserved an extra ride.

For Glasgow, Cook was not his usual self but battled hard.

Nicol was the best rider. Likes the Poole track and was very unlucky in heat 15 when leading but his bike dropped a chain or seized, throwing him violently into the fence. Lucky to walk away.

Brennan battled but should be at reserve.

Jensen was woeful in his first 2 rides, then popped out and held out, before heat 14 which gave him another paid win when Poole didn’t make a change.

Crang was crap. Sorry no other way to put it.

Bailey battled and was rewarded a win in heat 14.

But only one team in it. Pirates go marching on, with a slightly depleted team. Next week Plymouth and  the return of Bjarne, hopefully, and Crump, both probably making their last every visits.

Better meeting than the score suggests.

What has happened to Cookie? Hugely disappointing. Never looked like winning a race. Didnt understand him getting the TS, when at that point Nicol was far better.

I said previously that I was impressed with Nicol when he guested here earlier. Same again tonight. Always in the thick of things. Unlucky to get excluded for tapes, when 2 others moved as well, including Cook. Winning Ht15 by a good 30 meters or so, when he shed a chain or similar going into bend 3 last lap and crashed heavily. Hope he is ok?

Thank you to the Tigers fans who stopped us by the start after the meeting. They congratulated us on our victory and wished us well in the play offs. Safe journey to Leicester and then home to all of them. Gracious in defeat.

Edited by BobC
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I have always thought he was shoehorned into the role after Stewarts departure.

Michael Max in my opinion should have been appointed team manager at the time and still do.

Turns out Michael was in charge tonight. Surprised by some of his decisions

• Like 1

This Glasgow team has had the guts ripped out of it with Oystercard crashing out for the season and Cook being nowhere near his usual standard for whatever reason. Add to that no new Pole or Sedgmen and they look a very ordinary team which is a great shame as they would have been in the thick of the Play Offs. Ulrich arguably the signing of the season before his smash.

Can't see it being anything other than a two horse race for the title really but you never know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This Glasgow team has had the guts ripped out of it with Oystercard crashing out for the season and Cook being nowhere near his usual standard for whatever reason. Add to that no new Pole or Sedgmen and they look a very ordinary team which is a great shame as they would have been in the thick of the Play Offs. Ulrich arguably the signing of the season before his smash.

Can't see it being anything other than a two horse race for the title really but you never know.

Winner going to come from Poole, Leicester or Redcar I think. Wouldn’t rule out Glasgow just yet but perhaps dark horses now.

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Two heat wins and nine last places tells its own story , you can only beat what is in front off you and Poole certainly put us to the sword tonight well done to them.

The only thing I would find surprising now is if Poole don't win the league. Leicester or Redcar may run them close but those two apart they should win it. 

As for Glasgow where now I know the Pole is still to come in but he will need to start banging in double figure scores immediately to cover for Wells who has consistently not banged in double figure scores all season. 

Thanks Gazc.

When Ulrich Ostergaard got injured at Armadale, he was indeed riding well for the Tigers and also the Panthers.

Glasgow started the season on fire and were good  home and away.

The reshuffle bringing in Tom Brennan and Marcin Nowak is a big gamble at this late hour and I think its already been said that Tom Brennan's signing is with next season in mind.

Glasgow still have matches in hand so it's all still to play for.

Thanks for being gracious in defeat.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Shaleshifter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Two heat wins and nine last places tells its own story , you can only beat what is in front off you and Poole certainly put us to the sword tonight well done to them.

The only thing I would find surprising now is if Poole don't win the league. Leicester or Redcar may run them close but those two apart they should win it. 

As for Glasgow where now I know the Pole is still to come in but he will need to start banging in double figure scores immediately to cover for Wells who has consistently not banged in double figure scores all season. 

A lot of close racing tonight though, so they didn't let their heads drop, which is a good sign to turning their form around again. 

Also I noticed in H15 Broc kept looking behind him on the 4th bend on every lap to see where Rory was. Not sure what that was about!

He was down for  while after his crash in the rerun, glad to see he was okay. 

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

A lot of close racing tonight though, so they didn't let their heads drop, which is a good sign to turning their form around again. 

Also I noticed in H15 Broc kept looking behind him on the 4th bend on every lap to see where Rory was. Not sure what that was about!

He was down for  while after his crash in the rerun, glad to see he was okay. 

Same story every year key rider gets injured. 2018 lewi Kerr, 2019 Starkey, 2021 ulle. Due some fortune

• Like 1

I picked a home win but I'm shocked at the performance of the Glasgow side, Only offering any defence at the very end with a 5-1 in Ht14. I'm sure the Ford family will be happy to pay the extra wages after a massive win & hope it brings more in the gate next week

20 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Same story every year key rider gets injured. 2018 lewi Kerr, 2019 Starkey, 2021 ulle. Due some fortune

Part and parcel of the sport I’m afraid , all teams are affected by injuries during a season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Technik said:

I picked a home win but I'm shocked at the performance of the Glasgow side, Only offering any defence at the very end with a 5-1 in Ht14. I'm sure the Ford family will be happy to pay the extra wages after a massive win & hope it brings more in the gate next week

We start off well then go downhill as a season progresses.

Always there or thereabouts but always seem to come up short , it’s like groundhog day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well Pirates certainly put Glasgow to the sword tonight. Middle decided not to make any changes and gave full quota to Cook and Ruml, who perhaps didn’t deserve their 4th ride. But such was the dominance it mattered little and didn’t even bother put our two unbeaten riders out in heat 15.

To be honest I can’t see this Glasgow side challenging in the playoffs. Yes, they have Nowak to come in, but Poles often don’t travel well and certainly need to time settle in. This late in the season he is going to look at all the different shaped tracks and be expected to bang in big scores. Not likely.

It was reported that Stefan is hopefully out of hospital tomorrow. Cracked collarbone, 6 broken ribs and a pain turned lung. Time to recuperate.

As for the meeting. Track was very good. Smooth and no issues. Danny King said post meeting it was awesome.

Rory Schlein. Much improved from Wednesday.

Basso. Getting there. Lost position in heat 1 and went to back.Looks the part. Best meeting yet. Loads of improvement to come.

Steve Worrall. 12 point max. Great performance.

Ben Cook. Did well in his first but then struggled. Lucky to get 4 rides.

Danny King. Third max at home in a row. Great form. Lovely pass of Wells.

Ruml battled every race.

Danyon Hume paid 8 deserved an extra ride.

For Glasgow, Cook was not his usual self but battled hard.

Nicol was the best rider. Likes the Poole track and was very unlucky in heat 15 when leading but his bike dropped a chain or seized, throwing him violently into the fence. Lucky to walk away.

Brennan battled but should be at reserve.

Jensen was woeful in his first 2 rides, then popped out and held out, before heat 14 which gave him another paid win when Poole didn’t make a change.

Crang was crap. Sorry no other way to put it.

Bailey battled and was rewarded a win in heat 14.

But only one team in it. Pirates go marching on, with a slightly depleted team. Next week Plymouth and  the return of Bjarne, hopefully, and Crump, both probably making their last every visits.

Brennan at reserve.??