British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Island Masters Shale Track Championship

Just looking at Isle of Wight Masters Championship.

www.dirthub.co.uk/island-masters-shale-track-championship-schedule-entry-list/

You have to applaud the promoters for taking on meetings of this format. There's no reason why stadium racing of this type can't be run with both speedway and grasstrack bikes dependent on the size and condition of the track. I think individuals on this forum are too quick to dismiss this type of event ultimately who cares at least it gives UK riders an opportunity to race instead of applauding Wolverhampton with their plethora of imports.

• Like 7

Has anybody been to these events and any comments would be in so useful. If speedway is going to move on Barry and his colleagues need the support of everyone. I wish I could join in with this movement but unfortunately I've been very poorly.

19 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Has anybody been to these events and any comments would be in so useful. If speedway is going to move on Barry and his colleagues need the support of everyone. I wish I could join in with this movement but unfortunately I've been very poorly.

I went to the first three team tournament over there, but that was a standard speedway meeting with added veterans and youth races.

Let's face it 15 heats interspersed with watching a tractor or two and a bowser if you're lucky ain't cutting the mustard.

Maybe variety is the spice of life.

I know at the Flat Track meetings I attended at Oxford there were various classes racing and had a few Speedway races too. They also had Grass bikes racing too if I remember correctly. 

Considering they were getting 15-20 riders off and on track for each race very little in the way of delays either

Got to see Les Collins racing again too, which is always worth watching 

• Like 1

My mate went and said it was well supported with lots of families attending. He said the presentation was very good, refreshments great and minimal delays and he got about 25 heats for £12. He also saw ex Glasgow promoter Gordon Pairman  taking a close interest in what was going on. Well done Isle of White by all accounts.

• Like 6

Saw flat track races as part of kevin doolans testimonial. They did nothing for me. Same with grasstrack racing on shale. For me it's team racing. I follow a team. Even individual meetings i can take or leave.

19 hours ago, topsoil said:

Saw flat track races as part of kevin doolans testimonial. They did nothing for me. Same with grasstrack racing on shale. For me it's team racing. I follow a team. Even individual meetings i can take or leave.

Speedway as you know it is finished and we have to move on. It's like Brexit living in a world that passed us by tears ago. It's getting a bit lonely on the terraces and it's so sad as we had some fantastic times following British League Speedway. British Speedway has lost it's way as I said about Kings Lynn looking like a builders yard. Flat Track Racing, Grasstrack and Oval Racing will hopefully complement team racing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Speedway as you know it is finished and we have to move on. It's like Brexit living in a world that passed us by tears ago. It's getting a bit lonely on the terraces and it's so sad as we had some fantastic times following British League Speedway. British Speedway has lost it's way as I said about Kings Lynn looking like a builders yard. Flat Track Racing, Grasstrack and Oval Racing will hopefully complement team racing?

Speak for yourself, i've enjoyed the season following my team. Each week there has been a championship match followed by either a national league or northern junior league meeting. Never lonely on the terraces because I have a group of friends I meet there every week. If the league structure got replaced by these sideshows that would certainly lose a lot of support up here. 

• Thanks 1

They are not sideshows to replace team racing more of an addition to what we've already got. Speedway has become very Anoraky and I like the variety that these events offer drawing in more of a motorcycle enthusiast. Lets face it watching exactly the same 500cc bikes going round in 4 circles is stale. My brain needs a bit more stimulation.

3 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

They are not sideshows to replace team racing more of an addition to what we've already got. Speedway has become very Anoraky and I like the variety that these events offer drawing in more of a motorcycle enthusiast. Lets face it watching exactly the same 500cc bikes going round in 4 circles is stale. My brain needs a bit more stimulation.

We've got very different views I guess. Speedway definitely hasn't got stale for me, I still look forward to my Saturday nights out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, topsoil said:

We've got very different views I guess. Speedway definitely hasn't got stale for me, I still look forward to my Saturday nights out. 

I totally understand but there isn't a track operating on a Saturday night and the ones that did have closed.

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

I totally understand but there isn't a track operating on a Saturday night and the ones that did have closed.

Oh yes there is

• Haha 1

No wonder speedway's in such a mess. Still Berwick  and Leicester can ride each other on a Saturday night !!