British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -V- Sheffield (Eurosport) Monday 06/09

3 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Good result for aces….BUT where have all the fans gone? Huge gaps on the stands. A big local derby, fair amount at stake, best stadium and race track in uk…good weather and hardly anyone there! The place should be packed! As usual zero promotion by BV. This is why the sport is on its knees and going bust. Lemo doesn’t impress and the BV management are lazy and clueless at getting fans on the terraces. Oh and don’t use it’s on telly excuse! 

It was on the telly.... :D

Looking at the pictures, if the grandstand holds just under 1800 I bet there wasnt 400 sat in there.... 

And many of those who were would have been season ticket holders.. 

Maybe 250 to 300 max on the back straight...?

That's the play off trade off for you though...

They have qualified so no point going until the play offs start as any match is now a dead rubber..

I presume the hope is that the "bumper play off crowd" off sets any losses in the meetings leading up to it..?

Not sure it does to he honest, but I am sure they know what they are doing..

Although given they knew it was on TV and that the school hols had finished, maybe some promoting of the event at the last couple of home meetings may have helped? 

And even possibly they could have sold you a half price ticket for tonight if you paid in full to watch the Colts last Friday? 

Certainly no FOMO for anyone watching.... 

3 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

If that is the case why have some of your fans been slating it recently. I don’t doubt what your saying as it’s your local track and you watch racing there regular not like some fans who just like to spout off and not attend meetings. You get the same on football forums !! 

The fans have been saying it's been too grippy this season...

The two matches I have been to were not as good tonight as the tracks were heavier.. 

The best meetings this year I have seen were two Colts meetings ran on much slicker drier tracks ..

Tonight was more like the NSS racing that it's become well known for..

Excellent meeting once again from the NSS, what a track that is. Love it.

And of course better when slicker! 

• Like 1

Best performance of the year at home that. 

Great to see stevie have a great night. Superb from Bewley and brennan. 

Regarding the track. The NSS as a very short window in track prep. To grippy and you might aswell fill out the programme from before bend 1. Slick and it's a great track  

1000000% the track as to be slick at NSS and I've been to every home match since the start. So I should know what I'm talking about even though I'm no track man 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They have qualified so no point going until the play offs start as any match is now a dead rubber..

Such a comment never fails to mystify me.  Dead rubber?   It’s a speedway meeting - Monday night is speedway night.  There’s a meeting on, two good teams, some class riders, a great track (so most people seem to say).

So why the hell does it matter.  There’s no lack of effort from the riders, they’ll give it their all, put a show on for you.

I just don’t understand….  turn up and enjoy the racing - at least you’ve got a team and a track.  I haven’t.  Never missed a Saturday night at Brandon - or Fridays or Thursdays as it became - because it was speedway night.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It was on the telly.... :D

Looking at the pictures, if the grandstand holds just under 1800 I bet there wasnt 400 sat in there.... 

And many of those who were would have been season ticket holders.. 

Maybe 250 to 300 max on the back straight...?

Well Under estimated. The grandstand holds 1850, at 6pm there had been 597 pre sold in grandstand (last week against Wolves there was 1000 pre sold) plus some people buying on the night probably around 650 in grandstand. south stand holds 1200, I was stood in that, it was full at 2nd bend end but spread out at 3rd bend end, I’d say about half full altogether so that’s 600. 

• Like 1

Belle Vue have beaten every team over 2 legs each time this season apart from Wolves. 
If we could just get all 7 riders firing on the same night especially with Richie Worrall back in the team…

32 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Well Under estimated. The grandstand holds 1850, at 6pm there had been 597 pre sold in grandstand (last week against Wolves there was 1000 pre sold) plus some people buying on the night probably around 650 in grandstand. south stand holds 1200, I was stood in that, it was full at 2nd bend end but spread out at 3rd bend end, I’d say about half full altogether so that’s 600. 

Maybe they should sit everyone together then Rob and not make certain sections available until certain parts have been sold..

Like football clubs do when they only use the lower tiers rather than open up the whole stadium when they dont expect a large crowd (who just said that's every week at City?):D

Dont doubt your figures but the crowd didnt look like one that would make too many sit up and think "isnt Speedway popular"..

Great racing though so maybe that will get a few more through the doors..

And  to be fair1200 or so isnt too shabby for a Speedway match on a live programme, with both teams having pretty much qualified for the play offs already.. 

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Assume what you like. Fact is the 3 tracks I’ve quoted were slick tracks and are no more. 

The fact is all 3 teams closed as the owners wanted to develop the sites, nothing to do with them being slick tracks. 

At the point Wimbledon closed the promoters wanted to take them up a division - nothing to do with crowd size and quality of racing and all to do with the owners wanting to knock down the stadium and build housing

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Belle Vue have beaten every team over 2 legs each time this season apart from Wolves. 
If we could just get all 7 riders firing on the same night especially with Richie Worrall back in the team…

The Wolves have doubled the Aces twice, which of course is very pleasing for Wolves fans. However it means nothing in the play -offs, past results have no relevance whatsoever. We all start from scratch and I take nothing for granted.

I couldn’t go tonight but just watched it back on TV..crowd did look a bit sparse and certainly a lot fewer than the meetings I have been to…some good racing though and the slicker track creates more racing lines rather than one fast line….the big difference tonight is that Sheffield didn’t have a Hans Andersen or Ryan Douglas at reserve and when your reserves aren’t scoring then you are on the back foot ..I still think reserve strength will win the league in the play offs

and one thing about the Eurosport coverage..in one way it’s good they have invested in multi cameras but I do wish they wouldn’t keep cutting away to a different camera during the race as they miss some good action ..sometimes I wish they just used the one camera and just watched the whole race from that camera as you can get a much better view of the race

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bruiser said:

and one thing about the Eurosport coverage..in one way it’s good they have invested in multi cameras but I do wish they wouldn’t keep cutting away to a different camera during the race as they miss some good action ..sometimes I wish they just used the one camera and just watched the whole race from that camera as you can get a much better view of the race

Yes, you only need a couple cameras at most  

It's a unique sport where you can see every bit of the race. You don't need lots of cameras 

1 at the start line, onenon top of grandstand that follows all the race. It would save on production costs to

8 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Best performance of the year at home that. 

Great to see stevie have a great night. Superb from Bewley and brennan. 

Regarding the track. The NSS as a very short window in track prep. To grippy and you might aswell fill out the programme from before bend 1. Slick and it's a great track  

1000000% the track as to be slick at NSS and I've been to every home match since the start. So I should know what I'm talking about even though I'm no track man 

If that’s your opinion mate no problem as you go every week to belle vue so don’t doubt what you say but several of your fans have been moaning about the track over recent weeks so it looks like it’s not for everyone!!! Heat 14 josh Pickering tried every line inside and outside but couldn’t pass what would you put that down to slick track skill set up ? Don’t know but earlier he stuck it out wide and blew everyone away   Awesome effort for little reward 

7 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

The fact is all 3 teams closed as the owners wanted to develop the sites, nothing to do with them being slick tracks. 

At the point Wimbledon closed the promoters wanted to take them up a division - nothing to do with crowd size and quality of racing and all to do with the owners wanting to knock down the stadium and build housing

Yes fair point and there will be more to follow unfortunately. But they were slick tracks and boring to watch racing at was the point I was trying to make not that the slick track caused the closure. Crowds are down because of boring racing / stupid rules and rain offs when not necessary as our meeting at kings Lynn was the other week after extensive track work. The riders are not helping themselves and will moan when there’s less tracks and less income !!!