British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -V- Sheffield (Eurosport) Monday 06/09

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Yes fair point and there will be more to follow unfortunately. But they were slick tracks and boring to watch racing at was the point I was trying to make not that the slick track caused the closure. Crowds are down because of boring racing / stupid rules and rain offs when not necessary as our meeting at kings Lynn was the other week after extensive track work. The riders are not helping themselves and will moan when there’s less tracks and less income !!! 

As this is a Belle Vue thread I don't want to take it over with other comments, but I cannot agree with you that the racing at Wimbledon was boring. Like everywhere else it had good and bad meetings. 

I do agree with your other points. British speedway does need to take a hard look at its self in readiness for next season

You've only got to watch a match filmed by the any of the semi-pro video companies to realise that easily the most effective way of filming a race is to use a single camera. It's easy to get disorientated when cameras are switching around all over the place.

9 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Such a comment never fails to mystify me.  Dead rubber?   It’s a speedway meeting - Monday night is speedway night.  There’s a meeting on, two good teams, some class riders, a great track (so most people seem to say).

So why the hell does it matter.  There’s no lack of effort from the riders, they’ll give it their all, put a show on for you.

I just don’t understand….  turn up and enjoy the racing - at least you’ve got a team and a track.  I haven’t.  Never missed a Saturday night at Brandon - or Fridays or Thursdays as it became - because it was speedway night.

Exactly. Back in the day when I used to watch Halifax, it didn't matter if the league was already lost or won, Saturday night was speedway night and we all went to cheer the team no matter what. It's entertainment as well as sport.

• Like 2

Such incessant nonsense from Pearson & Tatum throughout the meeting. They do have an inflated opinion of each other, thinking their the 'Morecambe & Wise' comedy act of the speedway world.

The amount of times they got riders incorrect bordered on the farcical. 

All I really want is clear and precise commentary.

Edited by tyke
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

If that’s your opinion mate no problem as you go every week to belle vue so don’t doubt what you say but several of your fans have been moaning about the track over recent weeks so it looks like it’s not for everyone!!! Heat 14 josh Pickering tried every line inside and outside but couldn’t pass what would you put that down to slick track skill set up ? Don’t know but earlier he stuck it out wide and blew everyone away   Awesome effort for little reward 

We all moaned. Me included. .. moaned it was to grippy. And thst we wanted less dirt. Recently we have got thst and racing as been the best it's been this year 

Regarding heat 14, I'd say it was just brilliant team riding and Kyle getting in his way a little. 

Edited by Phil The Ace

I think they were trying too hard with the cameras to make sure they didn't miss anything, sometimes there was a race at the back as well as the front and the camera would switch to the rear only to miss something at the front. As others have said perhaps one camera or maybe two (one at each end) would be fine.

2 hours ago, tyke said:

Such incessant nonsense from Pearson & Tatum throughout the meeting. They do have an inflated opinion of each other, thinking their the 'Morecambe & Wise' comedy act of the speedway world.

Thought it was me. They clearly didn’t have a clue which race they were looking at indeed there was a comment about looking at the wrong race in the programme. Never been a fan of Pearson probably because I’m bought up during Dave Lannings era but last night was embarrassing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, westhamboy66 said:

Thought it was me. They clearly didn’t have a clue which race they were looking at indeed there was a comment about looking at the wrong race in the programme. Never been a fan of Pearson probably because I’m bought up during Dave Lannings era but last night was embarrassing

The whole show and presentation was embarrassing. I guess Eurosport and British speedway are the perfect fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, westhamboy66 said:

Pearson especially thinks it's all laugh and is such a narcissist I honestly think , he think's that people turn on to the speedway just to hear his insane drivel. Ive always been fairly ambivient of him but last night he was down right embarrassing as you say. Tatum unfortunately,  who can talk some sense on the matter of speedway is dragging himself to the level of the fool his co-commentator has become

It's a pity the commentary team can't be as professional as Steve Brandon, who journalistic tendencies seem to be able to ask the right questions.

Edited by tyke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tyke said:

In previous years I used to think they did a good job even though some people on here made it clear that they disagreed with that view. However last night they really were awful. They seem to have forgotten what their job is, made mistakes, interrupted each other and appeared to have not undertaken any basic research. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They do like a beer, wonder if they had to many before hand. 

Either way yesterday was very unprofessional again. 

The whole TV production needs a fresh look and directors thst know what they are doing with camera works. 

Speedway is nothing more than a parody of what it used to be at this point and too many matches do not have anything meaningful about them.

Back in the 80s my league had 17 or 18 teams in it, bar a small handful, you would only see certain opposing teams and riders once a season, no two matches were the same in any shape or form.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

Edited by PirateShip

6 hours ago, tyke said:

Such incessant nonsense from Pearson & Tatum throughout the meeting. 

Tatum spent almost all of heat 8 referring to one of the Belle Vue riders as Pickering.

2 hours ago, tyke said:

Pearson especially thinks it's all laugh and is such a narcissist I honestly think , he think's that people turn on to the speedway just to hear his insane drivel. Ive always been fairly ambivient of him but last night he was down right embarrassing as you say. Tatum unfortunately,  who can't talk some sense on the matter of speedway is dragging himself to the level of the fool his co-commentator has become

It's a pity the commentary team can't be as professional as Steve Brandon, who journalistic tendencies seem to be able to ask the right questions.

Like when Brandon asked Tatum for his views on Sheffield's early use of their tac sub. The silent response was embarrassing. I really felt for Steve.

Brandon, Rowe, Goddard are 'Top Drawer'  :D and I know another place where Tatum could shove his dirt ometer and it will go all the way in :o!!! :rofl:

Edited by PirateShip
  • Like 2