British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -V- Sheffield (Eurosport) Monday 06/09

32 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

ae.png.6dae37a142a07897dda84f7f91dc12f2.pngBorn in Marmande, France, to British parents who run two pubs in Bordeaux.

I know

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, OveFundinFan said:

Question, what problem did Jack Holder seem to have with Brady Kurtz. One of the later heats he seemed to refuse hand shake (or fist bump) with Brady. Was their an incident on track or is Jack growing into a whinged.            

If you watch the Polish league, Jack Holder doesn't fist bump or hand shake when he looses. Only when he wins will he then offer his hand to an opponent. Never have liked his attitude.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LesR said:

If you watch the Polish league, Jack Holder doesn't fist bump or hand shake when he looses. Only when he wins will he then offer his hand to an opponent. Never have liked his attitude.

To be fair to him, in Poland not many acknowledge each other...

It's mainly the GP riders from opposite teams who will offer a handshake/fist pump to each other, and that is by no means across the board..

It's the same with team riding.

Some have criticised Dan Bewley when racing over here, however, in Poland given the way teams are set up, you are usually up against a similar level of rider, so beating your opposite number is the plan. If you get in front then you go, as this means you cant lose points to the opposition in that race..

With the team managers expectation then being your team mate will do his job and you can get a 4-2..

Woffy is one of the few that seems to team ride, but even he will clear off if he feels the rider in third could beat him and his team mate if he hung back to support his colleague..

Jack Holder sounds like he could be a bad loser, however, for me, that is not a bad thing..

Especially in what is in essence, an adreneline fuelled individual sport, where performance means £'s....

As long as "bad losers" are safe to others on track then, as fans, you can appreciate how much it means to them..

Even boxers shake hands (touch gloves) after an event, and that’s after they tried to damage each other’s brain (that’s what a knock out means). I hate that “sport”, how they are allowed to do it.  It is now claimed that in football heading a ball can cause health problems. Look how Cassius Clay ended up, and as far as I know he didn’t head a football regularly, but did take a lot of punches on the head.

Mikebv, re " To be fair to him, in Poland not many acknowledge each other."  I have watched the vast majority of Polish Extralega and 1st division matches this season, on Polish tv N Sport and Eleven Sports, and in those leagues the majority of riders do congratulate each other. I have found it noticable how much Jack and his brother don't. Just my observation of course.

One thing that I feel is very good in poland is that all riders have to watch the tv replays in the pits, directly after their race, to see the racing lines developing and where their opponents are gaining an advantage. Tai could be seen telling one of his under 21 team mates to do exactly that after the youngester had won a race. Shame we didn't have that years ago or today in most meetings.

6 hours ago, LesR said:

Mikebv, re " To be fair to him, in Poland not many acknowledge each other."  I have watched the vast majority of Polish Extralega and 1st division matches this season, on Polish tv N Sport and Eleven Sports, and in those leagues the majority of riders do congratulate each other. I have found it noticable how much Jack and his brother don't. Just my observation of course.

One thing that I feel is very good in poland is that all riders have to watch the tv replays in the pits, directly after their race, to see the racing lines developing and where their opponents are gaining an advantage. Tai could be seen telling one of his under 21 team mates to do exactly that after the youngester had won a race. Shame we didn't have that years ago or today in most meetings.

Watched pretty much every match in Poland too, Les...

And to be honest one of the things that I have (or maybe just thought? I have seen is the lack of acknowledgement, and no "bonhomie" either in the pits with riders of opposite teams standing together, "having a laugh" which you often see over here...

Maybe more do it than I have given them credit for, so I will look out for it a bit more..

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

And to be honest one of the things that I have (or maybe just thought? I have seen is the lack of acknowledgement, and no "bonhomie" either in the pits with riders of opposite teams standing together, "having a laugh" which you often see over here...

Maybe more do it than I have given them credit for, so I will look out for it a bit more..

I hate it when riders are fawning over each other after a race (even a crap one), only seems to be a relatively recent thing, probably since the Morans. I always remember Crump and Hancock being particularly tactile. Looking at videos from the 70's and early 80's riders barely even acknowledged each other after a race

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

I hate it when riders are fawning over each other after a race (even a crap one), only seems to be a relatively recent thing, probably since the Morans. I always remember Crump and Hancock being particularly tactile. Looking at videos from the 70's and early 80's riders barely even acknowledged each other after a race

Cant wait to see a Newcastle player run up to Ronaldo tomorrow, shake his hand and say "well done", after he opens the scoring...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

Craig Boyce did a reasonable amount of acknowledging after some races I seem to remember. :rolleyes:

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, iainb said:

Probably due to them not sharing a pit bay the next night riding for the same team, and will do this week in week out..

The mind boggles as to how many teams actually have their riders represented at every meeting...  :D

Not only that but Poland take this sport a lot more seriously so in the eyes of the fans, they probably would not want to see their riders being pally with the opposition. 

On 9/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, mikebv said:

They are all “happy clappy” in Poland today though.

• Haha 1