British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

07/09/21 1830 Kent v Scunthorpe (Champ)

This column is full of complaints about the Scorpions team and the manager.  In fact, the only reason that there was a last heat decider was that 

the guest for the night, Broc Nicol, scored an outstanding number of points, some think with dubious starting technique that caught him out in the last race.

The Scorpions have actually done very well this year on the whole and  you would have thought that their fans would appreciate that.  I feel sorry for

Rob Godfrey..  Kent are not in the Play-Offs, but I do not hear big moans from those alongside me in the grandstand.  Quite the opposite.

• Like 2

I just want to clarify that it is not my intention to sound like I am complaining, just simply speaking my mind. I love this club and admire the work that goes on behind the scenes by Rob and his management team. I appreciate the fact we are lucky in the fact that we almost always get quality racing at home and I will never take that for granted. The fact I do actually have a team to support is not lost on me. 

The frustration comes from the close calls, the ifs, the buts, the maybes. I don't think it is fair to compare one club with another in terms of fan satisfaction. Kent are still relatively new to the league and had a difficult start to the season but are now coming good. Scunthorpe are an established side in this league who have been in the play-off places from pretty much the start of the season and still are as it stands, yet are now in a position when they may lose out on that 6th spot. 

Make no mistake about it I will support the team whatever, however it is still a results business and the fans want results. 

Edited by stumper
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Must be on a guarantee as was brought in as a top rider to improve our away form as well ( still need the others to perform though) but he should be doing better on current British form. Whether he is on a guarantee to score 9 but he should be scoring similar to Masters or thereabouts as he rides the technical tracks(Edinburgh & Wolves) whereas Scunthorpe is more open, Ellis has done well on the technical ones in the past. We need the 10/11 from 4 or 13/14 from 5 & not the 6-8 that we are seeing. But others do need to step up also & when racing, look around for their partner. Pijper is missing Aarnio in this area of riding at 3 & 4. On Friday, even though Macdonald was making some gates, he was racing with & holding up his faster team leaders with them showing their frustrations later.

Sign an 8 point man then expect him to be scoring more 

5 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Unfortunately Adam was on borrowed engine last night which was thought to be just right for the Kent track ( which he hasn’t raced at for years). Even with changes in jetting, ignition and gearing it was just getting slower and slower as the night went on. To see the team in the pits was an eye opener, everyone diving in to help everyone else when problems arose. Believe me, he was pi$$ed off with not winning the meeting, he rode his nuts off. 

What was his problem regarding borrowing engine,he was going really well at Belle Vue on Monday night.Can he not just use his own equipment or was he “testing”.?

48 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

By jumping every start, I assume you mean trapping - because Broc Nicol wasn't rolling (with the exception of Heat 3).  It's not an offence to make good starts.

As for the final race, yes he did move, but that was triggered by Batchelor moving inside him first.  Batchelor didn't get a warning.  Mind you, this came from a ref who also penalised Gilkes in Heat 11 for touching the tapes, when I'm not sure if he did, to be honest!

Disappointing way for the evening to end from a Scunthorpe perspective and a shame because it was a great night of speedway until then. Would have been interesting to see if Nicol could have got the better of Batchelor and Nicholls in Heat 15, but thanks to the ref, we never got to find out!  

I appreciate your Scunthorpe links but, being present as a 100% neutral , agree fully with your assessments. I really don't get races being called back when someone who has remained stationary is immediately assumed to have cheated because they have fast reflexes. To be discluded  too rubbed more salt in the wounds. We had the scenario at Cardiff where riders were penalised by being called back only to have replays showing no movement. Bach clearly was first to move in heat 15 and amazingly got away with the same in the rerun. Overall it was probably the best racing I have seen at Central Park so, as a neutral it was a good evenings entertainment but Scunthorpe have every right to feel aggrieved.   Lots of roadside posters advertising the grass-track at Swingfield Minnis this weekend.  Still won't be going. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Only issue that arises for me again is should a home side be able to use a Tactical Sub?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Only issue that arises for me again is should a home side be able to use a Tactical Sub?

Absolutely not, if you are six or more behind at home then tough breast. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely not, if you are six or more behind at home then tough breast. 

Nonsense -- it is a sporting contest, and there should be one rule for all.

Tac subs for home or away teams.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Scunny  nearly got away with that … gusts and R/R strengthening their team considerably. Nicol got found out,  jumped every start - and could have been excluded in anyone of his rides. For Kent ….. Heeps either cannot ride his home track or he is still  troubled by injury, Morley needs a decent mechanic to look after his machinery which is a heap of junk IMO. 

Absolutely Nicol did but I'm struggling to imagine Pailin and particularly Jorgensen not matching what their facilities scored.

1 minute ago, crescent girl said:

Get rid altogether then. 

• Like 2

Brilliant meeting,,Scunny doing most of the gating early on with Nichol outstanding ,,i do not consider he was rolling most of the time just lightning reactions  ,,the track got dry and dusty and the grading and watering was left to long,,but after it was done Kents racers came into their own and dominated heats 12, 13 and 15 ,,Heeps and Mulford getting a usefull 3 all in heat 14 ..Scunny put on a battling performance,, the best visiting performance since Kent signed Troy,,,, but when the track was improved so did the Kent riders ,,few can live with Batch and , Nicholls  around here when the track is right ,,, ,,A great 5/1 from Gilks and Morley in heat 8 was vital in the eventual result ,,,, Starke was solid as usual..And, those present witnessed one of the best meetings of the season ,,,..Who ever you support ......

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Get rid altogether then. 

I thought the rule was intended to assist away teams keep it a closer contest. It clearly suits Kent and indeed any side with a very strong 1&5. I can see many teams being built that way next year (if the rules remain) as teams can allow an visiting team to build a lead, claw it back with a tactical then dominate in the final few heats. Great for drama but is it sending away teams off without points they perhaps deserve / earned if it wasn't for the tactical switches?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, waco said:

Brilliant meeting,,Scunny doing most of the gating early on with Nichol outstanding ,,i do not consider he was rolling most of the time just lightning reactions  ,,the track got dry and dusty and the grading and watering was left to long,,but after it was done Kents racers came into their own and dominated heats 12, 13 and 15 ,,Heeps and Mulford getting a usefull 3 all in heat 14 ..Scunny put on a battling performance,, the best visiting performance since Kent signed Troy,,,, but when the track was improved so did the Kent riders ,,few can live with Batch and , Nicholls  around here when the track is right ,,, ,,A great 5/1 from Gilks and Morley in heat 8 was vital in the eventual result ,,,, Starke was solid as usual..And, those present witnessed one of the best meetings of the season ,,,..Who ever you support ......

Not quite as good as the Poole match racing wise, but still an excellent meeting.

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Agree