British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

07/09/21 1830 Kent v Scunthorpe (Champ)

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Nonsense -- it is a sporting contest, and there should be one rule for all.

Tac subs for home or away teams.

I'm sorry but no. The home team should be able to ride their own track, they should not be helped along. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Get rid altogether then. 

If you completely get rid of it then you will have to go back to old school BPs then.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I'm sorry but no. The home team should be able to ride their own track, they should not be helped along. 

So we insist that Man United have to give visiting teams a goal of a start at Old Trafford, because they have home advantage?       Pish!

• Haha 1

Tbh my biggest issue is TS being implemented at 6 points down. If for example get a 5-1 in heat 13 to go 6 up, TS brought in to heat 14 gives impetus to losing team going into heat 15. I think should either be 10 points or between heats 5 and 12 like it used to be

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waco said:

Brilliant meeting,,Scunny doing most of the gating early on with Nichol outstanding ,,i do not consider he was rolling most of the time just lightning reactions  ,,the track got dry and dusty and the grading and watering was left to long,,but after it was done Kents racers came into their own and dominated heats 12, 13 and 15 ,,Heeps and Mulford getting a usefull 3 all in heat 14 ..Scunny put on a battling performance,, the best visiting performance since Kent signed Troy,,,, but when the track was improved so did the Kent riders ,,few can live with Batch and , Nicholls  around here when the track is right ,,, ,,A great 5/1 from Gilks and Morley in heat 8 was vital in the eventual result ,,,, Starke was solid as usual..And, those present witnessed one of the best meetings of the season ,,,..Who ever you support ......

I don't remember seeing any dust and the track is very rarely touched until after heat 10 that I can recall. I presume that is because a result can be

called after 10 races and with the curfew in mind they get on with things to make sure of a result.  Fully agree.  A great meeting with super racing.

The result was immaterial for me, but pleased most of the people in the grandstand, that is for sure.

11 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I don't remember seeing any dust and the track is very rarely touched until after heat 10 that I can recall. I presume that is because a result can be

called after 10 races and with the curfew in mind they get on with things to make sure of a result.  Fully agree.  A great meeting with super racing.

The result was immaterial for me, but pleased most of the people in the grandstand, that is for sure.

I totally agree on taking an interval after heat 10. Getting a result has to be the priority over tractor breaks.

57 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

So we insist that Man United have to give visiting teams a goal of a start at Old Trafford, because they have home advantage?       Pish!

Speedway and football are hardly comparable! I have always thought if you are at home then you shouldn't be able to use a TS. It's your home track (you ride it every week), if you struggle on it then hard luck. 

However if you wish to compare it to football, it would be like Southampton winning at Old Trafford 3-0 (hard to imagine I know!) and then Man Utd are allowed a penalty for being 3 goals down. Yes, absolutely ridiculous isn't it! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

What was his problem regarding borrowing engine,he was going really well at Belle Vue on Monday night.Can he not just use his own equipment or was he “testing”.?

It’s not that simple I’m afraid, having something that works on big fast tracks doesn’t always mean you have something that will work on the smaller slicker tracks. Adam has struggled to get power to ground on a few of the championship tracks including Scunny. Unfortunately sometimes in speedway it’s a real head scratcher and frustrating for all involved.  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:10 AM, Fozzie4388 said:

Riding his 1st season at 2nd tier and seeing a lot of tracks for the first time and only 17 years old? What's Pijper and Aarnios's etc excuse they've been round years

I didn't say he was disappointing or not racing to his potential, just that he was the weakest!

19 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Speedway and football are hardly comparable! I have always thought if you are at home then you shouldn't be able to use a TS. It's your home track (you ride it every week), if you struggle on it then hard luck. 

However if you wish to compare it to football, it would be like Southampton winning at Old Trafford 3-0 (hard to imagine I know!) and then Man Utd are allowed a penalty for being 3 goals down. Yes, absolutely ridiculous isn't it! 

It would be more accurate to say it's like the losing team getting an extra substitute or playing 12 vs 11! An extra penalty would be like the tactical joker rule!

20 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

It is a sporting contest.  Make up all the rules you want -- but they have to be on a level playing field.     A penalty when three goals down?   Certainly -- but it has to apply to home and away teams equally.

This isn't a defence of tactical subs one way or another -- all I want to emphasise is that home or away doesn't matter in a sporting contest -- the same rules have to apply to each side.

14 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

It is a sporting contest.  Make up all the rules you want -- but they have to be on a level playing field.     A penalty when three goals down?   Certainly -- but it has to apply to home and away teams equally.

This isn't a defence of tactical subs one way or another -- all I want to emphasise is that home or away doesn't matter in a sporting contest -- the same rules have to apply to each side.

I get what your saying and that is fair enough. From my POV the home team already has an advantage so I don't think they should be given any more. 

But purely based on the TS and nothing else then yes I guess so. Although doesn't always work for the home team anyway. Poole vs Edinburgh, they used one in both meetings and didn't win either. 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:35 AM, old bob at herne bay said:

Scunny  nearly got away with that … gusts and R/R strengthening their team considerably. Nicol got found out,  jumped every start - and could have been excluded in anyone of his rides. For Kent ….. Heeps either cannot ride his home track or he is still  troubled by injury, Morley needs a decent mechanic to look after his machinery which is a heap of junk IMO. 

Thanks for that Ben will be please to hear that all the money he sent on his bike was worth it. (to get told that they are a heap of junk)

P.S

If you think you can do better as a mechanic give it a go.

3 hours ago, markm said:

Thanks for that Ben will be please to hear that all the money he sent on his bike was worth it. (to get told that they are a heap of junk)

P.S

If you think you can do better as a mechanic give it a go.

You must remember that Od Bob of Herne Bay is one of the wisest heads on this forum, sometimes referred to as a "know-All" LOL

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2021 at 10:19 PM, Onthespanners said:

It’s not that simple I’m afraid, having something that works on big fast tracks doesn’t always mean you have something that will work on the smaller slicker tracks. Adam has struggled to get power to ground on a few of the championship tracks including Scunny. Unfortunately sometimes in speedway it’s a real head scratcher and frustrating for all involved.  

But Adam has been about a few years now so how does “ he have to borrow an engine” he raced on all sort of tracks throughout Europe,surely he knows what’s required.! and has an idea what engine to use.Hence why I was asking was he “testing”

Edited by Fromafar