British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

07/09/21 1830 Kent v Scunthorpe (Champ)

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I can't believe what I have just witnessed, well , read but this is shocking & an absolute shambles thinking the job was done. We do have decent heat leaders when they turn up but other teams have better & more consistent at the business end of meetings(heats 11 - 15 as shown on Friday) & we have not learnt. Riders & management are to blame & it will be interesting to hear Dave Peets take on precedings!

Ok, prior to meeting I would have been happy with 1 point but again, we throw it away. The last thing I want to see/hear is "after the interval we didn't adapt & they(Kent) adapted to the change". 

I just don’t get Adam Ellis so hit and miss at Scunny and in away meetings for the scorpions!  Wins one, last the next heat looks dynamite for Sheffield something fishy in my opinion 

21 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Not sure I like that rule. Ruined heat 15 as a spectacle surely broc being excluded for what is a minor offence. 

Nicol had been jumping the starts all night long and was on a warning.  So when he did it so blatantly in heat 15, it was a 

no brainer that the would be out.  No one to blame but himself. Still a great last race to secure the win, but unbelievable racing

all evening.  Getting to be the norm at Central Park this year. 

• Like 1

Scunny making a habit of caving in towards end of meetings, with riders we have it simply shouldn't happen

Looking through Kent's updates, they sometimes have the interval & grade(it might happen regularly but not mentioned on site) but they have never come back like this. Is this because we do not grade at the end of meetings & adapt? Frustrated and f*$k!^" fuming at the moment. Going for a :drink:

2 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Nicol had been jumping the starts all night long and was on a warning.  So when he did it so blatantly in heat 15, it was a 

no brainer that the would be out.  No one to blame but himself. Still a great last race to secure the win, but unbelievable racing

all evening.  Getting to be the norm at Central Park this year. 

Don't like it as a rule is all I'm saying. Heat 15 is the pinnacle of the meeting best riders of the night, for that then to end in a reserve replacing a teams top scorer I don't like. Look at belle Vue last night, one heat called back and warning given when was just a perfect start

Just now, Jaizer said:

Don't like it as a rule is all I'm saying. Heat 15 is the pinnacle of the meeting best riders of the night, for that then to end in a reserve replacing a teams top scorer I don't like. Look at belle Vue last night, one heat called back and warning given when was just a perfect start

Maybe it should just be the same heat rather than the same meeting. Also Broc needs to ask Cookie how he gets away with so many! ;);)

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Looking through Kent's updates, they sometimes have the interval & grade(it might happen regularly but not mentioned on site) but they have never come back like this. Is this because we do not grade at the end of meetings & adapt? Frustrated and f*$k!^" fuming at the moment. Going for a :drink:

And this is why I am glad we went to Kent the week before they signed Batch! Understand how you feel though, Poole have thrown away a fair few leads in away meetings in last few heats. If meetings finished after H12, we would have a few more away wins on the board.

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Maybe it should just be the same heat rather than the same meeting. Also Broc needs to ask Cookie how he gets away with so many! ;);)

That's what the rule used to be. Changed couple years ago I see no reason why it needed to change. End of day it's the entertainment industry, what's entertaining about the best rider on the night being replaced by a reserve in the biggest heat of the night. I've watched broc all season for Glasgow and haven't seen him jump or roll at all. Again with cookie, I've not seen him rolling but then I did in his Edinburgh days. Maybe my red and white tinted specs there though. They've all got a long way to go before catch the sarj on that one though

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan555 said:

I just don’t get Adam Ellis so hit and miss at Scunny and in away meetings for the scorpions!  Wins one, last the next heat looks dynamite for Sheffield something fishy in my opinion 

Must be on a guarantee as was brought in as a top rider to improve our away form as well ( still need the others to perform though) but he should be doing better on current British form. Whether he is on a guarantee to score 9 but he should be scoring similar to Masters or thereabouts as he rides the technical tracks(Edinburgh & Wolves) whereas Scunthorpe is more open, Ellis has done well on the technical ones in the past. We need the 10/11 from 4 or 13/14 from 5 & not the 6-8 that we are seeing. But others do need to step up also & when racing, look around for their partner. Pijper is missing Aarnio in this area of riding at 3 & 4. On Friday, even though Macdonald was making some gates, he was racing with & holding up his faster team leaders with them showing their frustrations later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

That's what the rule used to be. Changed couple years ago I see no reason why it needed to change. End of day it's the entertainment industry, what's entertaining about the best rider on the night being replaced by a reserve in the biggest heat of the night. I've watched broc all season for Glasgow and haven't seen him jump or roll at all. Again with cookie, I've not seen him rolling but then I did in his Edinburgh days. Maybe my red and white tinted specs there though. They've all got a long way to go before catch the sarj on that one though

Watch some YouTube clips of Cookie then or even from your own website. Been doing it for years.

3 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Watch some YouTube clips of Cookie then or even from your own website. Been doing it for years.

Greivesy was good for a roller in his day but the greatest exponent I seen was Peter Carr. Tbh I don't have issue with rolling, don't hit the tapes don't see what the problem is

A few things that are a must for Scunthorpe in 2022

A) Sign riders that can actually ride away tracks none of this Pijper, Aarnio rubbish.

B) Make Ryan Douglas an offer he can't refuse I believe he's still a Scunthorpe asset. Build the team with Douglas, Jorgensen and Palin then go from there

C) Change team manager. Not had a decent one since Richard Hollingsworth. Peet was hopeless at Hull as a TM, He was hopeless at Berwick and 3rd time lucky at Scunthorpe really hasn't worked.

I know Godfrey likes to do things on the cheap but it's 10 years since the league title at Scunny next season and even though there's people that don't see eye to eye with me and probably never will most Scunthorpe fans are loyal and deserve a team that's going to battle for a league title something they haven't had since 2012.

Edited by Fozzie4388
  • Like 5

An excellent meeting for the neutral tonight. Scunny's use of Macdonald in heat 13 instead of 14 was pivotal in the outcome of the match. Kent got out of jail for sure.

33 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Maybe Cook is more subtle with it. Brady Kurtz has jumping at least once a meeting when he was at Poole, I saw that! But then so did the refs! I haven't seen him exc for it this season for BV though, so the rule must have worked on him! 

With Sarj, the fans could almost do a drinking game. Do a shot every time he jumps! Don't think he is bad as he used to be though? He used to get a load of stick for it when he was riding for Coventry especially from Poole fans!