British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Brummies v Bears take 3 08/08

Just now, Steve Hewitt said:

Jeez…….are we still banging on about this. My dads bigger than yours etc. Grow up. 

To be fair Steve, I know your Dad and my dad was bigger!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Laurence Rogers sums it it up for me,he says there was little wrong with the track,a few bumps and bits but nothing the experienced riders should find troublesome.REALLY ,tell that to Stewart,Neilsen and Grobulaur and the fans standing around while the are carted off to hospital.No wonder the sport if failing in Birmingham.

Rogers is a buffoon as Sandking says it’s hard to believe clubs continue to give him a prime role!    

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Laurence Rogers sums it it up for me,he says there was little wrong with the track,a few bumps and bits but nothing the experienced riders should find troublesome.REALLY ,tell that to Stewart,Neilsen and Grobulaur and the fans standing around while the are carted off to hospital.No wonder the sport if failing in Birmingham.

He's not the one having to ride it ! He should "Go Fund himself "  Going on what some people say does this mean going forward they should be no such thing as rain offs as the riders should ride regardless of the track conditions and risks involved ?  

I was at Birmingham last night and it's obvious what's wrong, they are tenants on a dog track and the promotion has negotiated a ridiculous deal.  My son bought 2  pints of lager and a packet of  crisps (I know, I know) and it cost £10.50 with all of the proceeds going to the track the food prices are also ridiculous £5,50 for pie and mash or balti and rice with all the proceeds going to the track and they don't  even sell  chips.  The speedway promotion is losing out massively on income streams that clubs like Redcar and Scunthorpe  enjoy and as such they start each and every season with a financial disadvantage compared to their competitors.  I know Redcar were the perpetual holders of the wooden spoon but since Ben and Co took the reigns the clubs fortunes have been turned around and I honestly believe every Bears fan owes them a debt of gratitude.  The  club now enjoys multiple revinue streams with sponsors galore and have just launched Bears TV to add another and none of these benefits can be enjoyed by tenants held to ransome by stadium owners who fail to understand that speedway is a working  class sport and fans at successful clubs can get admission, parking a programme a 50/50 ticket  curry and  chips and a  can of pop for £25 and the clubs take all the profits 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Deano said:

Interesting. Let’s hope a Just Giving page doesn’t appear with Redcars name on it at some point. With no local derby where’s your cash cow coming from

ive said it before, anyone who supports last night Shenanigans really needs a hard look at how not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Redcars ‘ cash cow ‘ is the fact that the club is run correctly and puts its track top of its priorities, hence a large crowd every week.

Perhaps someone at Birmingham might like to take note.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Your reply is what's wrong with British speedway. It's all about self interest. So what if Eastbourne, Birmingham and Newcastle close, as long as Redcar are all right. In the end you won't have hardly any opponents left to race against. The sport is in a perilous position, all clubs and fans need to stick together and put their petty rivalries aside.

and ignore dangerous tracks ? as that is all this boils down too……lack of proper track preparation .

8 hours ago, Deano said:

Fair comment, but it’s a very short term view. Redcar have come close to folding under previous promotion/s.

I’ve been around this sport for a good 40 years and seen speedway on many different circuits. Many far worse than last night, many where riders can’t turn or even slide too well. But they’ve got on with it.

Only time Redcar came close was under Taylor as he didn’t pay the bills, still had a crowd and a good track. Havelock may have seen the team as regular wooden spoonists but it was never close to closing as he ran it within its budget, unlike many these days it seems. Redcar have thrived since he left with new management and a more positive attitude since 2017.

5 hours ago, Historian said:

Dont know why folks are wittering on about the track ? It was perfectly raceable no different to last week  or the week before, the real  issue was the win at all cost attitude of the Bears manager who no doubt will be finacially advantaged as they are confirmed for the play offs. Both Kerr and Wright were on track ready to go for ht5 until their manager pulled the plug, I do not believe the Bears riders refused to ride  (Why were they on track ready to go) I do not blame the Bears riders who were just doing as told by their manager.  Bears were losing and looked unlikly to win, in desperation their manager complained about the track. and got it graded to suit his riders. Does anyone really think they would have complained had they been in the lead.  The action of the Bears management showed a total disregard for the paying public and inflicted  for the 2nd time enormous damage on B'ham speedway but far worse they did huge damage to the image of British speedway  and should be brought before a tribunal and charged with bringing British Speedway into disrepute, fined and points deducted.                                   

I should like to point out that riders are free to choose what risks they are prepared to take or otherwise, the answer is in their right hand (no jokes please) its called a Throttle and as Eric Boocock once said it works in both directions

Also, riders are always complaining about track conditions,  when dont they??? especially after a poor performance.

So the referee ( s) stopped the meeting on the say so of one team manager ?…..really ? and then the ref (s) told the track curator exactly how to prepare the track to Redcars advantage ?

Next you will be saying man didn’t land on the moon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deano said:

We’re you there tonight?

Redcar wanted it dusty, not damp and grippy.

Yes and have been to Redcar too. I also noted that on each occasion Redcars track was deep and well watered, never seen dust there so I believe you are quite wrong.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So the referee ( s) stopped the meeting on the say so of one team manager ?…..really ? and then the ref (s) told the track curator exactly how to prepare the track to Redcars advantage ?

It was all done in the Desert :nono::D

3 hours ago, Barry The Cat said:

Rogers is a buffoon as Sandking says it’s hard to believe clubs continue to give him a prime role!    

He can brown nose his way into any club that's gullible enough, good luck to him

52 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Don't forget your man Grobauer ended Jordan Stewarts season because he was out of  control due an inadequate track prepared by a man who was not licensed to prepare  it the riders had every reason to refuse to ride a dangerous track because past experience showed them the Birmingham promotion gave scant regaurd for their safety 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Absolute disgrace for a promoter to come out with a statement like that it shows scant regard for riders. When racing you can't always choose the line you want to take when racing close, if the rider hits one of 'bumps and bits' it could be carnage.

If this was the only match where the track was in poor condition, then some of the comments would be fair, however, almost every team that's visited B'ham has complained about the dusty track and poor track prep. 

Edited by redlead
  • Like 1

I attended as a neutral as I have done for all but one of the meetings at Perry Barr this season. 

As expected there is much debate over where the blame lies for the events last night but one thing for sure is that as ever the fans always suffer on these occasions and the sport seems incapable of preventing such self inflicted damage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1