British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Ian Hoskins RIP

Heard from my brother that Ian Hoskins has died. A true icon and legend.

May he RIP

• Sad 1

Yes, Ian was 97, and was in a retirement home in NZ. Joe Hicks and Dave Gifford passed this on to Reg Fearman who in turn passed it on. Dave and Joe kept an eye on him, as did a number of the "speedway family" members in the rickety-racket islands(haven't heard that term used for years!!). Whenever Reg was down under he would always visit with Ian. I well remember Ian as the flamboyant promoter of Edinburgh in 1964-65-he would have been about 40 then!! How time flies. After he retired from speedway he ran a movie theatre in Rhodesia- when  the "barbarians" took over he left and returned  to NZ- sensible decision. He was a real character. I also think he may have been the first promoter that Bernt Persson and Bengt Jansson rode for. Another real piece of speedway history has left us.     R.I.P. Ian .

• Like 3

Ian managed Glasgow White City when they came to Bristol in 1949, very young.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:37 PM, BOBBATH said:

I also think he may have been the first promoter that Bernt Persson and Bengt Jansson rode for. Another real piece of speedway history has left us.     R.I.P. Ian .

Bengt Jansson previously rode for West Ham in the National League in 1964. He was with Monarchs in 1966.

I had totally forgotten about Bengt Jansson in the last year of the old NL in 1964. How did he do with the Hammers that year?

On 10/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, BOBBATH said:

I had totally forgotten about Bengt Jansson in the last year of the old NL in 1964. How did he do with the Hammers that year?

He averaged 7.15. To be quite honest, I wasn't very impressed with him....shows you what I know!