British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Heat details 1986 British Open Pairs

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It definitely helps if you watch a rider regularly. Nothing will ever convince me that Ray Wilson was better than Martin Ashby!

:D Yep, there's definitely a frequency bias.

I saw a lot more of Shawn Moran race than I saw of Kelly Moran and I always find it a little surprising that plenty rate Kelly higher of the two.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, falcace said:

I saw a lot more of Shawn Moran race than I saw of Kelly Moran and I always find it a little surprising that plenty rate Kelly higher of the two.

Ditto. Tbf, Shawn's record is significantly better than Kelly's, I guess those rating Kelly higher base it on natural ability rather than achievement. But Shawn was imo one of the top half dozen riders of the 80s, Kelly was probably top 20.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Ditto. Tbf, Shawn's record is significantly better than Kelly's, I guess those rating Kelly higher base it on natural ability rather than achievement. But Shawn was imo one of the top half dozen riders of the 80s, Kelly was probably top 20.

Kelly had a gift, But he didn't always use it well, but when he wanted it he was among the very best. Shawn worked at his craft a little harder & got better results in the big meetings but for Kelly it was always about having fun with the boys

On 9/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, Technik said:

Kelly had a gift, But he didn't always use it well, but when he wanted it he was among the very best. Shawn worked at his craft a little harder & got better results in the big meetings but for Kelly it was always about having fun with the boys

I was once stood near Kelly at Sheffield and heard him telling someone win or lose always booze  .along with Shawn could ride a speedway bike definitely  

6 hours ago, r8gdp said:

I was once stood near Kelly at Sheffield and heard him telling someone win or lose always booze  .along with Shawn could ride a speedway bike definitely  

Terrific rider but could have achieved so much more if had contained his off track addictions which eventually caught up with him...but that was Kelly!

• Like 1