British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

No change next year?

26 minutes ago, Trees said:

Let's have some serious suggestions, forget "fun" speedway ala IOW, we can't have leagues of fun speedway.

People say do what  Poland do, they do nothing different to us but their towns' folk absolutely adore their clubs and the riders that race for them and they absolutely hate other clubs. Their supporters absolutely make it known with shouting, clapping and drumming what their riders mean to them!  

Hands up who shouts and claps their team on parade and after each race and between!! In my experience many British fans continue to chat amongst themselves when the parade is happening ffs!!

Polish promoters don't have to try very hard to "promote", fans, riders and sponsors queue up to support the clubs, they don't even have to pay any rent as the stadiums are state owned!!

For Polish promoters speedway is a piece of cake!!

I've been to a Polish league meeting, I know what happens.

Yes of course our promoters can do more, they can offer fans to do the track walk, to do the coin toss, to watch from the centre, kids to walk out as mascots, to have press conferences after their meetings, allow fans access to the pits before and after meetings, offer VIP packages, meals in their restaurants if they're lucky enough to have them, to entertain the kids with club mascots, to let the kids ride bikes and/or have running races round the track, to have a junior meeting after the main meeting, to have the mic man commentate on the meeting, to have the mic man engage with the fans etc etc!

Are we using young people's social media outlets enough, tick tock, Instagram etc? 

My son thinks that the fact that motorbikes are taboo to parents these days they actively keep their children away from the sport, which is a problem football, cricket, tennis etc etc doesn't have!

All we can hope is that councils might help our clubs survive by way of cheap hoarding advertising maybe, advertising in town centres, in schools etc.   Of course we need more youngsters interested in racing in the sport but we 100% need more people supporting our teams :(

The social media thing is almost dead the amount of comments on Twitter sometimes is 0 comments a few more on Facebook but generally it’s because of the ageing support a lot isn’t on Facebook or Twitter . I to have been to Polish league meetings the biggest asset they have isn’t much of what you say above it’s because it’s weekend racing rather than here Monday Wednesday Thursday with school the next day when I was a kid my parents would have taken me it was only because it was Saturday racing I got to attend . The Isle of Wight have put the fun back into speedway and that’s what all clubs need to do 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Whats the need for change - its been a highly succesful season, the p.offs got record crowds , and after the challenges of operating with limited crowds due to COVID restrictions, every club has enjoyed a wonderful season. ......

In the  fantastic Championship League ......sadly Eastbourne closed, Birmingham suffered financial problems, Newcastle  are looking for new owners, Poole are in discussions over the continued use of their stadium, but other than that it has been a wonderful season with entertainment from the top drawer.

The stand out "Premiership" tier  has once again delivered first class entertainment, and goes from strength to strength, with the BSPL once again struggling to decide who to admit to this "elite" division of racing.

This season we had 6 clubs fighting tooth and nail for the coveted 4 play off spots. The qualifiers for the 4 spots were in doubt until early May and this made for some top quality racing of the highest standard that England can offer.

Of particular note in 2021 has been the huge success of the rising star programme which has developed so many new potential world champions for English speedway. None of the rising stars were known in the sport at the beginning of the season, and all are truly the product of the rising star programme.  Next season will see twice as many rising stars in teams , and England will once again have top calibre riders to challenge the worlds top  Speedway Grand Prix stars.   

Frightening thing is that this is exactly the sort of statement that the BSPL would likely put out...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Haza said:

The social media thing is almost dead the amount of comments on Twitter sometimes is 0 comments a few more on Facebook but generally it’s because of the ageing support a lot isn’t on Facebook or Twitter .

And when ever you do make a comment, asking a legitimate question like what the weather is like, you'll get no reply

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

And when ever you do make a comment, asking a legitimate question like what the weather is like, you'll get no reply

You can find out a weather forecast by the time you've typed your question out... 

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

You can find out a weather forecast by the time you've typed your question out... 

I don't want a weather forecast, they're totally unreliable! I want a report from the track, which is the easiest thing in the world to do these days

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't want a weather forecast, they're totally unreliable! I want a report from the track, which is the easiest thing in the world to do these days

Although such reports are not always 100% reliable or impartial! I find rainfall radar a useful tool, but ultimately there is an element of judgement and an element of luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arnieg said:

Although such reports are not always 100% reliable or impartial! I find rainfall radar a useful tool, but ultimately there is an element of judgement and an element of luck.

Agreed... but a club replying to a question on Twitter is as easy as me or you replying on here... and they don't

I'm sure your clubs promotor has better things to do on race day than count the clouds in the sky, but put your idea to them, they might put a weather update on the website leading up to the start of the meeting. Let's hope there's no downpour at 7.25pm tho.... 

16 hours ago, Trees said:

Let's have some serious suggestions, forget "fun" speedway ala IOW, we can't have leagues of fun speedway.

Denigrating the IOW again. What have you got against them?

You completely miss the point of how they operate and why they are operating that way this year. Remember, they would have raced in the National League this year had not changes been imposed without consultation, and with no guarantee that the same wouldn't happen in the future.

I am a neutral supporter- I don't have a team to follow and so no axe to grind. I want to see British speedway flourish. 

IOW are putting on serious speedway. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fun speedway. However, they wrap that up in first class customer service and extra fan engagement.  Every other club could do the same. 

There must be tens of thousands of people like me who used to go, but have lost their track. IOW through its social media content attracted me to go, impress me when I attend, and keep me posted. I feel a part of their club. Kings Lynn , or any other club, could do the same, but they don't.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

I'm sure your clubs promotor has better things to do on race day than count the clouds in the sky, but put your idea to them, they might put a weather update on the website leading up to the start of the meeting. Let's hope there's no downpour at 7.25pm tho.... 

Yes I'm sure the promoter of my club has better things to do on race day than look after the fans... even though they find time to continually tweet race results etc.

I've put my ideas to them... they didn't even have the courtesy to even acknowledge them with a reply of any sort

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

He puts that many ideas on here, then rambles on about them, that if he put them to his own promoter, his promoter would not have time to do his own jobs.

51 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

I am fortunate enough to have attended many meetings in Poland.................

Barry.
There is much that you describe that will resonant with those of us that lived through the "golden speedway years". It's hard to accept that those days have gone but the closures and threats of closure can no longer be ignored.

It occurs to me that the small number of clubs who's future is assured, in the short term at least, are increasingly the problem. They have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, despite the many clubs who are clearly clinging on by the skin of their teeth, financially. Maybe we need a two pronged approach. Let us continue with a traditional league structure among those clubs that can support it and at the same time create a grass roots rebuilding programme along the lines you describe. Some might say that this is what we have already. Well, in a way we do with the National Development League and the British Youth Championship. But, the thing that is missing is an approach to the high level management and development of the sport that is fully integrated. A plan that brings together all levels of the sport from the purely amateur (including grasstrack racing) right through to the international. Idealistic? Well maybe. But two things are clear. Firstly, if we don't do something the whole house of cards will collapse. Secondly, and more importantly there is the talent out there to solve this problem. The thing that's really missing is the forward looking mindset of those currently in control.

The patient isn't dead yet but I guess it's in intensive care.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

He puts that many ideas on here, then rambles on about them, that if he put them to his own promoter, his promoter would not have time to do his own jobs.

What jobs are they then?