British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

No change next year?

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Do the BSPL really care what the punters think. I know it's old hat, but why don't they send out a questionnaire to find out why people have stopped going. What about us that still go. I know I'm losing more interest on a weekly basis, and I'm  finding more reasons not to go.

How does BSPL send out a questionnaire if they don’t know where people who used to attend live?

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

How does BSPL send out a questionnaire if they don’t know where people who used to attend live?

A digital one, via their website and media outlets?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

No chance of a Questionaire as they won’t get the replies they want to here.Majority of fans have been questioning the league structure for the last 10-15 years.Many know just don’t bother attending anymore,I’m in the same boat as you regarding attending.

Last Tuesday i was glad Kent was off, i went non league football instead. That would have been unthinkable pre Covid.

• Like 1

Something I think would be good for league meetings would be to have a guy to help with the running of a meeting out on track.

Along the lines of what Phil Morris does at GP level

Working with the ref, he would be responsible for the fast and smooth running of the meeting.

Getting riders up to tapes in time, when a re run is needed stopping too much time from riders fiddling around and getting them back to tapes in quick time for the re start.

Making sure that too much track doctoring is not going on from the home side between 4 heat breaks etc..

Just directing the meeting at track level to support the ref and making sure the meeting runs smoothly and quickly for the fans

Edited by M.D

24 minutes ago, M.D said:

Something I think would be good for league meetings would be to have a guy to help with the running of a meeting out on track.

Working with the ref, he would be responsible for the fast and smooth running of the meeting.

Getting riders up to tapes in time, when a re run is needed stopping too much time from riders fiddling around and getting them back to tapes in quick time for the re start.

Making sure that too much track doctoring is not going on from the home side between 4 heat breaks etc..

Just directing the meeting at track level to support the ref and making sure the meeting runs smoothly and quickly for the fans

That's pretty much the job description of every Clerk of the Course, present at every meeting.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

That's pretty much the job of every Clerk of the Course ..

Yeah but it's not working and the Clerk of the course is not independent.

• Haha 1

And Phil Morris is independent ??? 

Sorry, I ment impartial 

Just now, M.D said:

Sorry, I ment impartial 

And so is the Clerk of the Course. 
It is his 'Clerk of the Course' qualification that he has that enables PM to do his job.

30 minutes ago, M.D said:

You don't need any extra staff for that, Just a 2 minute clock, Make the riders be ready when it gets to zero & most importantly a Referee strong enough to exclude a rider when their not ready at zero

• Like 1

And so is the Clerk of the Course. 
It is his 'Clerk of the Course' qualification that he has that enables PM to do his job.

And the clerk of the course is supplied from the home club

To find out why so many fans of the sport don't go to UK Speedway anymore, the Promoters would first have had to notice that their crowd levels had dropped...

And I can only presume they haven't quite noticed this yet as otherwise they would have stopped doing what has driven so many away and started doing something that would entice them back....

Although there could also be a sneaking suspicion of course (given their penchant for doing the 'same old, same old, ad infinitum) that they don't see anything wrong at all with the way the sport is ran..

And it's the many missing fans (who still closely follow the sport), who are just delusional...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

To find out why so many fans of the sport don't go to UK Speedway anymore, the Promoters would first have had to notice that their crowd levels had dropped...

And I can only presume they haven't quite noticed this yet as otherwise they would have stopped doing what has driven so many away and started doing something that would entice them back....

Although there could also be a sneaking suspicion of course (given their penchant for doing the 'same old, same old, ad infinitum) that they don't see anything wrong at all with the way the sport is ran..

And it's the many missing fans (who still closely follow the sport), who are just delusional...

They always try to attract new fans while alienating old ones, when, going on history, it's the old ones who introduce the new ones.

Speedway is now like football matches at school, when teams were never constant as long as you had two sides. I can imagine wartime meetings were like they are now - make do with whoever wants to ride, let all tracks choose whoever is available.

And they expect fans to build up a bond with a team of make-do riders that won't be there next year and... at this rate, nor will the track.

It is a team sport first and foremost. Why does it feel like it's set up merely for the individuals? 

I don't trust the folks who run it here, either. For years they went on about losing so many thousands of pounds a match, but admitted they funded the losses from their own resources. And then we ask why the sport is in its worst state... ever. Even the 50s weren't like this. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

I must disagree with this.  Look at football, it's never off the telly and still gets good support.  Even lower leagues get much better support than Speedway.  Also other sports look at the Hundred in cricket etc etc.  If TV coverage were handled properly then it would entice people to support a team and go to a live meeting.

Yeah cos most fans have season tickets .....

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, moxey63 said:

They always try to attract new fans while alienating old ones, when, going on history, it's the old ones who introduce the new ones.

Speedway is now like football matches at school, when teams were never constant as long as you had two sides. I can imagine wartime meetings were like they are now - make do with whoever wants to ride, let all tracks choose whoever is available.

And they expect fans to build up a bond with a team of make-do riders that won't be there next year and... at this rate, nor will the track.

It is a team sport first and foremost. Why does it feel like it's set up merely for the individuals? 

I don't trust the folks who run it here, either. For years they went on about losing so many thousands of pounds a match, but admitted they funded the losses from their own resources. And then we ask why the sport is in its worst state... ever. Even the 50s weren't like this. 

Here we bloody go again, there are loads of riders who have ridden for the same club for years.  SOME Lynn fans complained this year cos the promoter was "too" loyal, calling it jobs for the boys!

• Haha 1