British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

On 10/1/2021 at 5:13 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

There you go. All very easy. 

Just tried this but no joy, seems that LG and Samsung smart TVs no longer have Google support so can't download the Google store app:angry:

13 hours ago, kevin bass said:

Is it correct that Eurosport will be showing the GPs obviously not live but highlights or something

It is my understanding that some of the GPs will be shown live on Eurosport in the UK along with highlights and other features on Quest.

This is being done for two reasons firstly they know it is very unlikely that significant numbers would sign up to watch online using Discovery Player that is confirmed by the amount of subscribers that Premier Sport get for their Polish & Swedish league coverage.

Secondly from a technical perspective Eurosport that is broadcast on Sky is on a satellite transponder that is on a tight UK footprint so  is very difficult to receive outside of UK ,where as the Polish and most European versions can be viewed pretty much anywhere in Europe.

There will of course people that will do screen Scraping to re-broadcast on the internet and I fully expect the BSN Championship coverage will done as well

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kevin bass said:

Is it correct that Eurosport will be showing the GPs obviously not live but highlights or something

Speedway GPs will be shown live.

It will have cost them fair bit of money to take it away from BT, so they need to recoup by showing live, not bits here and there on some channel.

If people would actually subscribe then the business will make money and tend to invest more for other meetings.  It was on offer at £29.99 for 12 months viewing of all Discovery+ programmes other than speedway. Normal rate is £59.99 for 12 months.  There is a monthly fee too. Forget what it is but would mean the 7 month speedway GP season would be just under the 12 month fee or there abouts.  If not enough pay for the service the likelihood is that they will withdraw and maybe no one takes their place.  We all like something for nothing, but sometimes if we dont put anything in you get nothing out.

Edited by OveFundinFan

On 3/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, crumpiefan said:

Just been having another look at my current TV set up, seems both HDMI ports are being used, also have a splitter which is similarly being fully used, this is in conjunction with the PS4 I think?

So in effect I'll not only have to buy a Chromecast dongle but in all probability have to buy either an adaptor or another splitter to try to get it to work, not withstanding the myriad of wires and connections to mess with at a later point.

Sometimes - and I honestly don't mean this to anybody here but the powers that be whose ingenuity has made something simple into something anything but - you just think no sorry I can't be a*sed with all this just to watch a GP.

I was mouching around  big Tesco yesterday, they had a number of TVs on sale. 32" and 40" from 195 to 220 pounds with 3 HDMI connections.  Sharp, Technika, TCL.  You will know Sharp brand, Technika is Tescos own, and TCL is a massive Chineese copany now in the UK and getting good reviews. 

12 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

It will have cost them fair bit of money to take it away from BT, so they need to recoup by showing live, not bits here and there on some channel.

If people would actually subscribe then the business will make money and tend to invest more for other meetings.  It was on offer at £29.99 for 12 months viewing of all Discovery+ programmes other than speedway. Normal rate is £59.99 for 12 months.  There is a monthly fee too. Forget what it is but would mean the 7 month speedway GP season would be just under the 12 month fee or there abouts.  If not enough pay for the service the likelihood is that they will withdraw and maybe no one takes their place.  We all like something for nothing, but sometimes if we dont put anything in you get nothing out.

I don't mind paying the 59.99 if i have to but when Discovery+ first went live and having Sky Q as i do i obviously signed up to it coz the first 12 months was free, but it was a bit miss leading really coz meself and a lot of other people didn't realize that you only actually got the basic Discovery+ free which didn't include sports.

You can only be mislead if they said something that was not true or printed similar.  You have not lost out because you were on SkyQ anyway, you didnt pay any extra for Discovery+ plus did you?   Discovery+, even without sports, is not "basic".  If you want to watch Speedway GP live, you know what you need to do.  Like I said previously, we all like something for nothing, but sometimes we end up with nothing. Actually you got something something for nothing,  access to Discovery+.

46 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

There is no way that all the GP’s will be live on Eurosport- possibly Cardiff on a Discovery free to air channel but that will be it !!

10 hours ago, racers and royals said:

There is no way that all the GP’s will be live on Eurosport- possibly Cardiff on a Discovery free to air channel but that will be it !!

How are you so sure

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

How are you so sure

Because right at the outset in the Torun press conference they said so- and why do you think the UK is any more important to them than Poland ?. To be fair apart from when Eurosport had the GP contract for a couple of years when SKY pulled out and BSI were struggling to find a buyer for the UK it has always been on subscription with SKY and BT. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Because right at the outset in the Torun press conference they said so- and why do you think the UK is any more important to them than Poland ?. To be fair apart from when Eurosport had the GP contract for a couple of years when SKY pulled out and BSI were struggling to find a buyer for the UK it has always been on subscription with SKY and BT. 

Indeed,

There was an interview in the Speedway Star a while back where the CEO said that they had a strategy to grow the sport in countries that are not the major Speedway nations, but do have a following, (no jokes about the UK please anyone)...

This included where to (initially), give "free to air" coverage, (I seem to remember Germany was used as an example), as he feels that you can grow the demand in these countries to deliver PPV there later..

Someone will have to pay though as that is just the way it is..

Edited by mikebv

Slightly off topic but has Holder pulled out of the series? He is still listed on the SGP website but the press pictures that have started to come out don't seem to have him in them but do have Miskowiak? 

Can you record Discovery+?    The reason I ask is because I play league cricket on a Saturday.  I have had to record the GPs in the past as the cricket doesn't finish in time and then I watch as if live when I get home.  If this is a streamed service, then I think I'm stuffed?

5 hours ago, Shockster said:

Can you record Discovery+?    The reason I ask is because I play league cricket on a Saturday.  I have had to record the GPs in the past as the cricket doesn't finish in time and then I watch as if live when I get home.  If this is a streamed service, then I think I'm stuffed?

I can view last years Premiership final rounds, so maybe GPs will be available for later viewing.

Govonthe Discover+ website and ask a question, straight from the horses mouth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shockster said:

Think Holder and Fricke were riding at Belle Vue on Monday so missed the press day in Gorzow 

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/speedway/speedway-grand-prix-2022-what-it-is-how-to-watch-race-calendar-who-is-taking-part_sto8867362/story.shtml

Eurosport2 then....

HOW TO WATCH?

Discovery+ will provide live, ad-free coverage of every race as well as interactive services. Race action will also be live on Eurosport 2, with highlights and reaction on the Eurosport website.
Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1