British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

4 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

I'd already done that, there are only 10 apps on there and Google Play isn't on there unfortunately, neither is there a search facility nor the '?' on the Home screen.

If you have a Sony Smart TV they have to be on there.  Google Play Store is the only way apps can be downloaded.  It's similar to the App Store on iPhones.

And you have to have a help of some description if there is no 'old fashioned' manual.

Edited by chris4gillian

2 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

If you have a Sony Smart TV they have to be on there.  Google Play Store is the only way apps can be downloaded.  It's similar to the App Store on iPhones.

As I've linked Youtube to the TV through my wifi just now I'm guessing its a smart tv, but maybe not, as when I press Home button I get 6 options

All apps (those 10 with no other facility)

Digital programme list

Digital EPG

Recordings

Media

Settings

There doesn't seem to be any other avenue into seeing a list of other apps, or a way of searching for further apps. Youtube just happened to be in that list of 10 and as I watch that on my PS4 I tried to access it through the 'smart' app, got that working fine. But no sign of Google Play.

10 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

As I've linked Youtube to the TV through my wifi just now I'm guessing its a smart tv, but maybe not, as when I press Home button I get 6 options

All apps (those 10 with no other facility)

Digital programme list

Digital EPG

Recordings

Media

Settings

There doesn't seem to be any other avenue into seeing a list of other apps, or a way of searching for further apps. Youtube just happened to be in that list of 10 and as I watch that on my PS4 I tried to access it through the 'smart' app, got that working fine. But no sign of Google Play.

Fair enough.  How old is your telly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArthurRudge said:

What model is it?

I've looked it up (did find the model no but can't recall it off the top of my head) and its not modern enough to carry the necessary apps, checked on various techy help sites and I'm not the first to find this, the 10 there are the only ones available with no search facility.

Its nothing horrendous, I have a choice of buying add ons, watching it on a tablet or hoping highlights/later showings get played on Eurosport, or this BT deal that's been mused comes to fruition. I'd have been more irritated if this had happened 10-15 years ago when I was massively into the GP's.

Without sounding like a caveman (which I undoubtedly am) I don't feel making it complicated (imo) to watch a sport is necessarily a good thing, you're not going to attract new fans that way. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

I've looked it up (did find the model no but can't recall it off the top of my head) and its not modern enough to carry the necessary apps, checked on various techy help sites and I'm not the first to find this, the 10 there are the only ones available with no search facility.

Its nothing horrendous, I have a choice of buying add ons, watching it on a tablet or hoping highlights/later showings get played on Eurosport, or this BT deal that's been mused comes to fruition. I'd have been more irritated if this had happened 10-15 years ago when I was massively into the GP's.

Without sounding like a caveman (which I undoubtedly am) I don't feel making it complicated (imo) to watch a sport is necessarily a good thing, you're not going to attract new fans that way. 

Don’t hold your breathe hoping the BT deal will be anytime soon, they talking about end of the year if it comes to fruition.

The technology is no problem to the younger generation, so it wouldn’t put of the attraction to youngsters if they so inclined to be interested.

Is the model number on the back of the telly.

24 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Don’t hold your breathe hoping the BT deal will be anytime soon, they talking about end of the year if it comes to fruition.

The technology is no problem to the younger generation, so it wouldn’t put of the attraction to youngsters if they so inclined to be interested.

Is the model number on the back of the telly.

I think its a KDL 40WD653........having looked on various forums that appears to be just too old for Google Play etc so that blocks any idea of downloading the app.

I agree the technology isn't a problem to the younger generation, my point was more along the lines of the way they are promoting this you almost have to 'find' it as opposed to it being offered to you in a way many will see, its an obscure sport at the best of times.

Still, that's how it is, I'm not going to jump through hoops to watch it.

But thankyou for all the help and advice, I appreciate it.

Edited by crumpiefan
Missed the last paragraph out.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

I think its a KDL 40WD653........having looked on various forums that appears to be just too old for Google Play etc so that blocks any idea of downloading the app.

I agree the technology isn't a problem to the younger generation, my point was more along the lines of the way they are promoting this you almost have to 'find' it as opposed to it being offered to you in a way many will see, its an obscure sport at the best of times.

couldn't agree more. all the talk from discovery is about growing the product/series. I imagine it can only grow if you're growing the fanbase to.

what casual viewers are you going to attract on discovery sport.  those who have access to it either have been given it free as part of a package and will hardly use it or have it specifically for Speedway (existing fans)  or another sport of the channel (Tennis, Track Cycling?) who might stumble on SGP.

at least on Eurosport the access is much wider and the variety of sports shown much wider and higher profile (at this point).

I suppose the numbers of subscriptions/viewing figures will decide what happens but if those viewing figures are niche sponsors will react. 

Maybe they're hoping the PL coverage will act as an advert for the SGP. On that basis it would help if the were more SGP stars in the PL.  I suppose half the league have one so that's maybe enough.

What is the situation in Poland? Have the rights been sold to one of Polands main broadcasters? Or do the Poles need to purchase Discovery Sport as well?

I do like the sound of what Discovery are looking to do with the series with more off track content but I do worry it'll not attract the figures they're looking for. Then the intended investment/improvements are abandoned and the series stagnates for the rest of the contract.

Presumably FIM were okay to have their flagship speedway competition being moved to a less accessible platform. Or did the money talk?

39 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

Yes it’s a bit of a pain, my three favourite sports are Speedway, MotoGP/2/3, and world superbikes. Would be nice if Sky had them all, or BT, or Discovery etc, sadly it doesn’t happen these days, everyone wants our money, and their is only so much to spread around.

To Enotian, Discovery is very broad with its sports, it has been covering the Olympics much more then say BBC did. It’s covering snooker at world level (just showed the first major championship from Turkey which Trump won with amazing skill). Plus other sports I not interested in. But they also do BBC player, ITV, loads of educational channels, then there are loads of films (not that I am interested). You could, if you wanted watch Discovery rather than the 5 major channels. It is not just a few sports. So to get it at £29.99 on offer, of £59.99 for proper 12 month price could be considered good value especially when compared to the TV licence fee that we must pay.

2 hours ago, enotian said:

couldn't agree more. all the talk from discovery is about growing the product/series. I imagine it can only grow if you're growing the fanbase to.

what casual viewers are you going to attract on discovery sport.  those who have access to it either have been given it free as part of a package and will hardly use it or have it specifically for Speedway (existing fans)  or another sport of the channel (Tennis, Track Cycling?) who might stumble on SGP.

at least on Eurosport the access is much wider and the variety of sports shown much wider and higher profile (at this point).

I suppose the numbers of subscriptions/viewing figures will decide what happens but if those viewing figures are niche sponsors will react. 

Maybe they're hoping the PL coverage will act as an advert for the SGP. On that basis it would help if the were more SGP stars in the PL.  I suppose half the league have one so that's maybe enough.

What is the situation in Poland? Have the rights been sold to one of Polands main broadcasters? Or do the Poles need to purchase Discovery Sport as well?

I do like the sound of what Discovery are looking to do with the series with more off track content but I do worry it'll not attract the figures they're looking for. Then the intended investment/improvements are abandoned and the series stagnates for the rest of the contract.

Presumably FIM were okay to have their flagship speedway competition being moved to a less accessible platform. Or did the money talk?

Rumoured to be on TVN Poland- a free to air channel owned by Discovery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Yes it’s a bit of a pain, my three favourite sports are Speedway, MotoGP/2/3, and world superbikes. Would be nice if Sky had them all, or BT, or Discovery etc, sadly it doesn’t happen these days, everyone wants our money, and their is only so much to spread around.

To Enotian, Discovery is very broad with its sports, it has been covering the Olympics much more then say BBC did. It’s covering snooker at world level (just showed the first major championship from Turkey which Trump won with amazing skill). Plus other sports I not interested in. But they also do BBC player, ITV, loads of educational channels, then there are loads of films (not that I am interested). You could, if you wanted watch Discovery rather than the 5 major channels. It is not just a few sports. So to get it at £29.99 on offer, of £59.99 for proper 12 month price could be considered good value especially when compared to the TV licence fee that we must pay.

Thanks. I don't watch too much content from the 5 main channels. In addition to your three favourite sports I also like my football, rugby union and cricket. Then you chuck in Netflix, Spotify, (i don't have Amazon Prime) and the odd couple of months of Disney plus, possibly BSN.  It all adds up. I'm lucky I can afford to subscribe to them all but then as it becomes safer for me to do so I'll like to do stuff other than watching TV. You can easily see if the Discovery sport platform  doesnt offer the range of mainstream content the series can easily become even more marginalised as it is now.

13 hours ago, crumpiefan said:

There's a whole host of other ways you could watch the GP's on your older tv...

The app can be downloaded to a PS4 or PS5 (and Xbox I assume).  The app is on Sky Q.  Download the app to a mobile device (such as an IPad or iPhone) and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.  Buy a Firestick (from Amazon or Argos) and download the app.  Download the app to your laptop and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.

Surely you can do one of those!

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

The app can be downloaded to a PS4 or PS5 (and Xbox I assume).  The app is on Sky Q.  Download the app to a mobile device (such as an IPad or iPhone) and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.  Buy a Firestick (from Amazon or Argos) and download the app.  Download the app to your laptop and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.

I suggested that a few posts ago. He will need Chromecast device, or I suggested a Roku box, I bought a new shop return for £32 the other week, just a tatty box. New in shop circa £60. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Yes, you're right, there are options and thankyou for explaining them, same as Ove Fundin Fan, it is appreciated.

I don't have Sky Q and in all honesty I have to admit I've reached the point where I just think its not worth it to but a firestick or a Chromecast purely to watch the GPs, my feeling now is somewhat 'oh I can't be bothered any more, why not just broadcast the damn thing in an 'orthodox' way.

As I've mentioned earlier, the new promoters seem to be making it less and less accessible, or at least less 'in your face' which I find puzzling........it will make a marginal sport even more marginalised.

But genuinely, thanks for all the help.

• Like 2