British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

32 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

Many do I know but I don't enjoy the whole experience, only bothered about the meeting.

Thats the point. The majority do enjoy the whole experience hence why so many go year on year. 
strong indication is that Discovery will freshen up the total show at all venues which should make Cardiff even more of a must see meeting. 
looking ahead, maybe Tottenham could be a venue for London as they seem to have plans on multi sport events. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bruiser said:

Have they definitely said Discovery Plus is the broadcast channel ?…..I know they have signed the deal with Eurosport Events which has rebranded Discovery Sports Events but have they said that puts it exclusively on Discovery plus  

Sadly yes, though he said there may be some live events on Eurosport.

Not really sure how they expect to enlarge the fanbase by making it less accessible, but that seems to be the plan.

With The Hundred in cricket this year, Sky Sports streamed all the women's matches and a few men's ones each week for free on YouTube as well as putting other matches on their basic channels Sky One and Sky Sports Mix.  That was in addition to the BBC being the free-to-air partner.  In an interview their head of cricket spoke of how it was more important to Sky to build up the audience in the first few years rather than simply make money from it.

It sounds like Discovery's plans for speedway are the opposite of that, because while most people with a pay TV package get Eurosport included, only those who specifically want to watch sport will buy Discovery+ with the sport option.  But their person did only speak of increasing the reach rather than the audience, so he clearly only meant the number of people capable of watching on a global basis, whether or not they actually do, or whether it shrinks the audience in any specific country.

This will probably lose me from the sport completely.  For personal reasons I am not able to attend live meetings (and I do not have a local club anyway, the nearest is Kent which is 50 miles away, and I do not drive) so I first started watching the sport when accidentally coming across the Elite League on Sky.

But domestic speedway lost me by moving to BT (admittedly maybe without choice) as I could not afford that just for speedway.  At least when the SGP and SON moved from Eurosport there was the VPN option.  But even going back to Eurosport I have struggled to watch it.  Whether through lack of habit or the erratic scheduling I kept forgetting it was on.  I have probably only seen two league meetings and the British Final.

And I never got into the SBP or SEC until last year when there was nothing else happening, and then they moved that to Discovery+.  I do not watch anything else on Eurosport, or for that matter any other Discovery channels, even though I am already paying for them through my TV subscription.  I refuse to pay twice for content I am not even watching once.

A shame as everything else about the presentation looked good, though I would have like more information on how SGP4 would work with the local boards.  When flashing the logos they also only showed SGP4 alongside Swedish, Danish, and Polish flags even though in the presentation there was a British logo too.

More also needed to be said about how SGP qualification would work.  I still do not understand how, at the very least, the current GP Challenge is not televised as part of the normal contract.  But there is surely as much scope in making that series a bigger event as there is with with the U21s as SGP2.

The main negative is nothing being said about how they will work with the leagues, because while you cannot complain about a big increase in prize money, surely it will only lead to more SGP riders only racing in Poland to the detriment of the sport in other countries.  And despite all the big talk about not being concentrated in one country, next year will see four SGPs in Poland to one everywhere else.

Whilst he said one of those was due to a problem with an intended Latvia SGP, surely they could have moved that elsewhere.  In particular it seems odd not to hold anything in Manchester, a major city with a suitable track, when BSI regularly used the SWC or SON to be able to stage a second senior British event.  Going to Poland for 6 of 17 events in total is a conscious choice.

sgp.jpg

• Like 4

I would also like to learn more about the SGP4 concept, which seems to be aiming at beginners using inexpensive standard machinery.

• Like 1

I have said before that if you want to save a fortune on subscriptions, sportsmania on IPTV is the place to go. Costs me approx £70 a year with every channel in 4k or HD. No buffering. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Thats the point. The majority do enjoy the whole experience hence why so many go year on year. 
strong indication is that Discovery will freshen up the total show at all venues which should make Cardiff even more of a must see meeting. 
looking ahead, maybe Tottenham could be a venue for London as they seem to have plans on multi sport events. 

Oh I know I'm in the minority, I just find the whole thing too long and drawn out, by the time the meeting starts I've had more than enough already!

Edited by crumpiefan

Please Please Please Discovery please amend the SGP points system to the one we had previously ie every point counts. The GP has now become flat due to the scoring system, the gp only starts to have some meaning when 20 heats are completed. Every point counts brings intensity from heat one and the gp  should evolve as a story, evolving heat by heat. I know the issue of the winner scoring  possibly less points than the runner up is an issue, but overall I would live with  it to improve the overall product. I won't hold my breath thou . I can't think of many who like the current system.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

I know the issue of the winner scoring  possibly less points than the runner up is an issue

Totally agree, let's get back to every point counting for something and the problem above is easily solved by awarding winner of the GP 20 points. 

Edited by Fingersfin

37 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Please Please Please Discovery please amend the SGP points system to the one we had previously ie every point counts. The GP has now become flat due to the scoring system, the gp only starts to have some meaning when 20 heats are completed. Every point counts brings intensity from heat one and the gp  should evolve as a story, evolving heat by heat. I know the issue of the winner scoring  possibly less points than the runner up is an issue, but overall I would live with  it to improve the overall product. I won't hold my breath thou . I can't think of many who like the current system.

The issue is simple once people get the right mindset. Under the "every point counts" system, heat 23 was nothing to do with the World Championship (beyond the race points scored). It decides who is the winner of that GP. That's it. The race points scored throughout the series decides the WC.

It is very indicative when in commentary it is said, "It doesn't matter what happens here [early heats] as long as you make the semis". What more damning comment of the current scoring system do you need?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, 1 valve said:

I am told that the Welsh Tourist Board pay a large sum to ensure Cardiff is the only GP held in Britain.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, R87 said:

First mistake.  Should have the British GP at Belle Vue and dump boring Cardiff

How are you going to fit 30 to 40 thousand fans in the NSS? :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

From the new website 

The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) and Discovery Sports Events have revealed the comeback of SWC (FIM Speedway World Cup). For the first time since 2017, the SWC will form part of the international calendar making the return of one of motorcycling’s most prestigious and competitive events. Beginning from 2023, the competition will take place every 3 years with a different host city selected for each event. The 2023 SWC will take place over 5 consecutive days and will bring together the 8 highest ranked nations over 20 heats and 4 rounds of racing to determine the new World Champions. Teams will be made up of 4 professional riders and 1 substitute U21 rider who must start in at least 2 of the heats

How will they have 5 meetings from 8 teams ??? or do they mean 2 semi`s and a final over 3 days ??

Edited by racers and royals

14 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

From the new website 

The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) and Discovery Sports Events have revealed the comeback of SWC (FIM Speedway World Cup). For the first time since 2017, the SWC will form part of the international calendar making the return of one of motorcycling’s most prestigious and competitive events. Beginning from 2023, the competition will take place every 3 years with a different host city selected for each event. The 2023 SWC will take place over 5 consecutive days and will bring together the 8 highest ranked nations over 20 heats and 4 rounds of racing to determine the new World Champions. Teams will be made up of 4 professional riders and 1 substitute U21 rider who must start in at least 2 of the heats

How will they have 5 meetings from 8 teams ??? or do they mean 2 semi`s and a final over 3 days ??

You could have two semis, winners to final, runners up to last chance, 3rd & 4th to repercharge. 

Repercharge - top 2 to last chance

Last chance - top 2 to final

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

You could have two semis, winners to final, runners up to last chance, 3rd & 4th to repercharge. 

Repercharge - top 2 to last chance

Last chance - top 2 to final

1 Venue for 5 days- no punters  will turn up until day 5  :)

Why do Discovery/Sky make it so arduous to get a simple App to watch Discovery Plus. Faffing about with Sky Q and mobile device is a pain. Netflix and others are simple on Sky Q but this one is anything but. Cannot be bothered to waste time just to watch future live speedway, meetings. it really is not worth the hassle. Well done those in charge of the sport you know how to alienate your audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

● Torun, Poland will stage the 2023 FIM Speedway World Cup following a six-year break since the last edition in 2017
● Competition will take place at the 25-29 July 2023 at the Marian Rose Motoarena Torun, Poland
● News follows the release of FIM Speedway’s 2022 season calendar, 10-year vision and brand identity under new long-term promoter Discovery Sports Events

The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) and Discovery Sports Events today announce that the 2023 FIM Speedway World Cup (SWC) will be held in Torun, Poland.

For the first time since 2017, the SWC will form part of the international calendar marking the return of one of motorcycling’s most prestigious and competitive events. Beginning from 2023, the competition will take place every 3 years with a different host city selected for each event, on rotation basis with FIM Speedway of Nations every other year.

The 2023 SWC will take place over 5 consecutive days from Tuesday 25 July to Saturday 29 July at the Marian Rose Motoarena Torun, Poland and will bring together the 8 highest ranked nations over 20 heats per racing day and 4 days of racing: Event 1, Event 2, Race-off event and the Final event  to determine the new FIM World Champions. National Teams will be made up of 4 senior riders and 1 substitute U21 rider. The event will also see the next generation of riders take to the track with Discovery Sports Events and FIM organising a grassroots race, which will take place on the Saturday afternoon, as part of the recently revealed FIM Speedway Grand Prix 4 (SGP4) category, which provides the platform for young riders to progress their careers in the sport.

François Ribeiro, Head of Discovery Sports Events, said: “Our objective was to add an extra element of prestige to the international FIM Speedway calendar for fans to enjoy which is why we’ve brought back one of the most exciting, competitive and high-octane motorsport events on two wheels - the FIM Speedway World Cup.

“Torun was a natural choice for the first SWC since 2017 due to its world-class track and for Poland’s history of success in this event. By bringing together the world’s finest pro riders with the most exciting and talented U21 riders in Torun in 2023, we will showcase the very best of our sport for viewers around the world while developing the next generation of Speedway stars – we can’t wait for the competition to begin.”

Jorge Viegas, FIM President, said: “We are delighted to be welcoming back the FIM Speedway World Cup after a six-year absence, and in its new five day format which will be a real festival of intense racing. This will work in rotation with the FIM Speedway of Nations, 2022’s edition will allow nations to qualify for the 2023 SWC. Each Federation that qualifies will then have the time to build a five-rider team in the three years between SWC events.

“This will be complimented by the new SGP4 project, which the FIM fully supports, as this will be a great way for national federations to develop their young talent over a period of years.”

Poland has enjoyed a highly successful relationship with the FIM Speedway World Cup having won the most SWC titles in history (8) including the previous two to be held in 2017 and 2016.

• Like 1