British Speedway Forum

Strangely I agree with some of you,,,,, if Heeps has to be in the team,,, which it's pretty clear he does,,,, then it should have been at a reserve position,,,, I wouldn't have a problem with that,,,,  I think that's the biggest issue,,, and as Jason says would turn the team into possibly a winning one. 

Oh and as for Starke,, I would have said he was by far our most entertaining rider last season,,,which is why he won rider of the night a few times,, but we all see different things when we watch. 

Edited by Baldyman

3 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I like Starke and do find him entertaining but I’d swap him and use the 1.88 points left over for a 6 pointer which would put heeps at reserve 

that would change the team from a decent team to a championship winning team. 

Agree with this

Starke only done well mainly at reserve where he scored double figures from 5/6/7 rides 

Both himself and Heeps need to be at reserve really but one wont be every week

49 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Strangely I agree with some of you,,,,, if Heeps has to be in the team,,, which it's pretty clear he does,,,, then it should have been at a reserve position,,,, I wouldn't have a problem with that,,,,  I think that's the biggest issue,,, and as Jason says would turn the team into possibly a winning one. 

Oh and as for Starke,, I would have said he was by far our most entertaining rider last season,,,which is why he won rider of the night a few times,, but we all see different things when we watch. 

FWIW as a neutral observer...

I like watching Starke ride as he one of those riders who seem to give 100% in every race, and certainly at reserve would be "useful" to have...

However, it is noticeable that it isnt often for first place that he is often "busting a gut" to get to, but more likely trying to go from third to second or last to third.. 

Both him and Heeps will end up riding in a position above their true level I would think through the season, (given their historical performances), which leaves very little 'wriggle room' for the team if anyone else doesnt ride to their designated position level in the team...

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

He got rider of the night a few times because he scored decent points and rode well for a spell, particularly at reserve,  not in my view because he was entertaining. No problem with anyone disagreeing, that’s what opinions are all about. 

My main gripe is more with Louis than Starke. Either of Heeps or Starke stick out like a sore thumb in this team because of the wasted points that should never have happened. Of the two, it’s Starke who shouldn’t be in this team for me, Heeps down at reserve and a better rider than both in the main body. 

• Like 2

And I don't have a problem with Heeps himself,,, just constant over hyping over the years,,,,but if he was at reserve,,, where he should be,, he would do a decent enough job. The problem with the poorly built team,,, is that he has to do a good job in a position he shouldn't be in 

On 12/27/2021 at 12:21 PM, szkocjasid said:

Can't see Ipswich anywhere near the top, at the moment they look a very weak team. If Batchelor, Riss & Heeps improve I'd say it's possible they could make the top 4, but not finish top.

Tbh outside of Sheffield I don’t see any other team looking particularly any stronger, comfortably better side than kings lynn imo, pboro wasted a lot of points in ostergaard, can’t see him scoring anywhere near as well off the back of the injuries and let’s face it last season was the best year of his career it was the anomaly, wolves have replaced schlein and nicol with worrall and kemp 2 considerably weaker riders and who on earth are Belle Vue going to sign - who’s actually left and willing to ride in the uk to pad the remaining places out and be competitive, swapping max for bewley is like for like, so next years side hasn’t changed really at all on this years side accept they’ve now got to find replacements/improvements on the worrall and I can’t see who’s left to do so…

we’ve got a strong reserve pairing, arguably the best 1&5 in the league and 3 riders with a point to prove on low averages, injury free and I’m quietly confident the witches are the dark horses, but please keep writing them off I’m sure it’ll only make them more determined to prove you wrong!

• Like 1

I agree with you Buttons, this team squeezes in to the play offs for me as well but it isn’t a title winner IMO. That is where the frustration comes in that we’re a shade under 2 points under. The team could easily have been even better than it is and realistic challengers for silverware. It just feels like a massive missed opportunity as things stand. 

• Like 1

When I read posts on here, I can't help but wonder how a rider such as Mike Lanham and others would have fared today.

Dave Gooderham and Ted Howgego as well!

Going back to my days watching at the Firs, John Debbage and Reg Trott!

Years ago keeping a regular line up mattered more than chopping and changing to try and win the League! - All four of the above steady middle order/reserve stalwarts of Ipswich Witches and Norwich Stars would be dropped nowadays!

Yes the achilles heel for the Witches will be either Heeps or Starke in the main body. I don't think either of them will get any better and has Heeps the motivation needed after a poor season and a number of years before that of treading water?

Also Batchelor and Riss need to up their games from last season. 

I'm also not totally convinced that Doyle, who I think is on the wane will be the out and out heatleader hes expected to be? 

9 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Years ago keeping a regular line up mattered more than chopping and changing to try and win the League! - All four of the above steady middle order/reserve stalwarts of Ipswich Witches and Norwich Stars would be dropped nowadays!

Yes the achilles heel for the Witches will be either Heeps or Starke in the main body. I don't think either of them will get any better and has Heeps the motivation needed after a poor season and a number of years before that of treading water?

I'm also not totally convinced that Doyle, who I think is on the wane will be the out and out heatleader hes expected to be? 

I have said before that Doyle is on the wane but that was in terms of GP level think there are more hungrier riders out there

However a forum anorak was quick to tell me Doyle finished in the top 3-5 of the polish averages 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:44 PM, 25yearfan said:

I'm also not totally convinced that Doyle, who I think is on the wane will be the out and out heatleader he's expected to be? 

I think Starke has room for improvement, he only rode part of the season for Ipswich & also impressed for Kent. So a full season in both league could help.

When Doyle last rode in the UK, the league was a lot weaker. While his GP form may have fallen, doesn't mean he can't beat all the top riders in Britain. Id expect him to be able to average 10.00!

27 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I think Starke has room for improvement, he only rode part of the season for Ipswich & also impressed for Kent. So a full season in both league could help.

When Doyle last rode in the UK, the league was a lot weaker. While his GP form may have fallen, doesn't mean he can't beat all the top riders in Britain. Id expect him to be able to average 10.00!

Think  Starke has reached his level , still able to do a job

5 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Think  Starke has reached his level , still able to do a job

Paul is so enthusiastic and a tryer, he and his dad work feverishly in the pits if he struggles in a heat and to me fans like that, rather than that aussie trait of looking at their engine,  giving up when trailing behind. 

Just my opinion I know but I'm pleased he's back, and for what it's worth would have kept Jake over Cam and don't start me on Batch :blink:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Badge said:

Paul is so enthusiastic and a tryer, he and his dad work feverishly in the pits if he struggles in a heat and to me fans like that, rather than that aussie trait of looking at their engine,  giving up when trailing behind. 

Just my opinion I know but I'm pleased he's back, and for what it's worth would have kept Jake over Cam and don't start me on Batch :blink:

That seems contradictory to me! You’ve described Allen perfectly in that first sentence. Am I right in thinking that you work behind the scenes at Ipswich and mix with the riders? Apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else. So your opinions are not exactly neutral are they? You clearly like some riders over others because of their personalities, and nothing whatsoever to do with their riding abilities. Allen infuriated me this season/last year and it was no surprise he wasn’t retained. I don’t mind seeing riders struggling for form, most go through it at some stage. But what I won’t tolerate is paying good money to watch riders taking the pi$$, and Allen did that this season. If you don’t want to ride, then don’t! Quit, go elsewhere. At times he blatantly wasn’t putting in the effort. Clearly hasn’t gone unnoticed elsewhere either because despite now being on a “cheap” average, nobody else has picked him up either. Belle Vue might, as they’re getting a bit desperate. 

• Haha 1