British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

That seems contradictory to me! You’ve described Allen perfectly in that first sentence. Am I right in thinking that you work behind the scenes at Ipswich and mix with the riders? Apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else. So your opinions are not exactly neutral are they? You clearly like some riders over others because of their personalities, and nothing whatsoever to do with their riding abilities. Allen infuriated me this season/last year and it was no surprise he wasn’t retained. I don’t mind seeing riders struggling for form, most go through it at some stage. But what I won’t tolerate is paying good money to watch riders taking the pi$$, and Allen did that this season. If you don’t want to ride, then don’t! Quit, go elsewhere. At times he blatantly wasn’t putting in the effort. Clearly hasn’t gone unnoticed elsewhere either because despite now being on a “cheap” average, nobody else has picked him up either. Belle Vue might, as they’re getting a bit desperate. 

It's quite clear you're not behind the scenes Steve with those comments 

Just now, Falcon1983 said:

It's quite clear you're not behind the scenes Steve with those comments 

Of course I’m not, but I’ve been watching Speedway for more years than I care to remember. I know when I’m watching a rider struggling for form and confidence, and I know when I’m watching a rider not putting a shift in. Allen was the latter, and nobody is going to change my opinion on that. 

I wasn’t shocked to see Allen not in the team either. Something seemed very off with him and unlike the previous couple of campaigns, he didn’t look happy. Was there some kind of rift?

Thought it was quite telling that Hawkins went to press recently stating that he was building the team, and he’d told Louis exactly who he wanted to work with and who he didn’t and he wanted to build a side that would all get on and generate a good team spirit, and Allen was obviously omitted. 

Or perhaps it was the other way around? It’s entirely possible he was asked and he said up yours! Who knows..

Edited by Arch Stanton

Anyway, I’m still cheesed off that we’re so far under the limit! Sorry for sounding like a broken record but that’s really rattled my cage :rolleyes:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Anyway, I’m still cheesed off that we’re so far under the limit! Sorry for sounding like a broken record but that’s really rattled my cage :rolleyes:

That is definitely the biggest issue 

Actually,,, it's prob not an issue for 95 percent of those that go and watch. On other social media its a fantastic team that will be favourites.   And let's be really really honest,,,, doesn't matter how good or how bad the team is or does,,, we still have more or less the same support.  

1 hour ago, Steve Irving said:

Of course I’m not, but I’ve been watching Speedway for more years than I care to remember. I know when I’m watching a rider struggling for form and confidence, and I know when I’m watching a rider not putting a shift in. Allen was the latter, and nobody is going to change my opinion on that. 

You can have an opinion on what you want and I have no desire to change it but you're a contradiction to yourself

You admit you're not in behind the scenes, you've said you've watched a lot of speedway, you can tell when someone is low on confidence and when someone is not trying.

That isn't knowing facts, that's similar to just tossing a coin to come up with an answer that suits you, it's very much character assassinating to say someone isn't trying

However you're not behind the scenes to know for sure why any rider might be struggling for points, there are numerous reasons why various riders struggle at times, why not go see them after a meeting and ask them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

You can have an opinion on what you want and I have no desire to change it but you're a contradiction to yourself

You admit you're not in behind the scenes, you've said you've watched a lot of speedway, you can tell when someone is low on confidence and when someone is not trying.

That isn't knowing facts, that's similar to just tossing a coin to come up with an answer that suits you, it's very much character assassinating to say someone isn't trying

However you're not behind the scenes to know for sure why any rider might be struggling for points, there are numerous reasons why various riders struggle at times, why not go see them after a meeting and ask them

That makes absolutely zero sense to me, none whatsoever. 

• Like 1

I’ll throw my penny’s worth in here if I may, as to be fair I had the same feelings on Allen as Steve has. In fact, I was pretty vocal after a meeting during the season in which I was less than happy with what I saw from him in regards to effort. I don’t know any “facts” either, but I definitely got the impression at times that he was just giving up in a number of races. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’ll throw my penny’s worth in here if I may, as to be fair I had the same feelings on Allen as Steve has. In fact, I was pretty vocal after a meeting during the season in which I was less than happy with what I saw from him in regards to effort. I don’t know any “facts” either, but I definitely got the impression at times that he was just giving up in a number of races. 

These are personal feelings though arent they, you got the impression he was giving up, steve got the impression he was not trying on purpose, it's fine but are they not just your personal opinions not based on knowing any facts 

It's the same for all riders really, I'm privy to a little bit of information on Jake, but it's the same for all riders, it's their living I dont think many are deliberately trying to score 0's

I'm sure there are reasons for most riders why they dont perform in certain meetings or for a certain duration of time, it's a very accessible sport so why not ask a rider why they are struggling rather than post it across forums, this isnt an aim at either of you personally just generally as you get a lot of people posting on all aspects of social media, just ask a rider, there are a few fans that do, you get an understanding from the horses mouth then you can put those words against your opinion then either change your opinion or come up with a new conclusion 

I'm all for opinions and people should have their own but some also cross a line at times which isn't necessary but then the world is filled with all types of people isnt it

• Like 1

These are personal feelings though arent they, you got the impression he was giving up, steve got the impression he was not trying on purpose, it's fine but are they not just your personal opinions not based on knowing any facts 

It's the same for all riders really, I'm privy to a little bit of information on Jake, but it's the same for all riders, it's their living I dont think many are deliberately trying to score 0's

Are you not in fact a little closer than that? Isn't there a new interactive fan opportunity with Jake that you have some input in?

It makes it understandable therefore that you would have more insight re Jake and aa to why you offer the defence you seem to be

Fopr me, Allen doesn't have the right technique to become a higher level rider.  Sits on the seat too much backing it into a corner.  Will be ok as a league rider though, particularly on the easier bigger tracks.

13 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Are you not in fact a little closer than that? Isn't there a new interactive fan opportunity with Jake that you have some input in?

It makes it understandable therefore that you would have more insight re Jake and aa to why you offer the defence you seem to be

All I'm going to say is that alot of riders struggled last season whether that's due to the covid break, mental health, relationship issues, tyre issues, financial issues etc and yeah maybe a few riders dont try at times but without knowing factually I'd never say that in a public domain.

For some riders the only money they earn is through their riding, the only money they can spend on machinery is via their riding as a few aussie boys are only in on a sporting Visa so are unable to work inbetween racing, I'm sure they want to be able to pay their living costs and eat and drink.

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Fopr me, Allen doesn't have the right technique to become a higher level rider.  Sits on the seat too much backing it into a corner.  Will be ok as a league rider though, particularly on the easier bigger tracks.

That is what I call an opinion and a fair one as that's a judgement on something you can see I.e. style and technique 

Lets see what 2022 brings for all riders as they have now had a full season back, all riders will be better prepared for 2022, let's hope it's an exciting close season for all connected to the sport.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:58 PM, Arch Stanton said:

No idea who else the Witches could sign to be closer to the limit?  The Prem has had to bring in some second-hand riders to bolster a couple of teams (Basso is closest to a "new" signing), and BV seem to be struggling to fill their seven.  On top of that, the Witches don't have a recent record for unearthing new talent from anywhere ...

The riders they have chosen to wear a Witches suit are popular with the vast majority of home fans - who simply like to support nice blokes, who try hard. Many of them still love Heeps, despite his frustrating lack of overall progress - and King is a hero, even though he's never shown the same capability of team riding that we associate with the truly great Witches #1s.  It'll be fascinating to see if King can develop any sort of understanding with Doyle for Heats 13 & 15, and the new pairs competition.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typo corrected.
  • Haha 1