British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Emma Raducanu

Did anyone else watch the US final?

Absolutely brilliant match and obviously happy that Emma won.

Edited by Badge
  • Like 6

I watched it, not a tennis fan but enjoyed it, congratulations Emma.

• Like 1

She is amazing. How many British sports people have honestly been genuine worldwide superstars? Not many. Lennox Lewis maybe?

We could well have another one here.

When you think of the magnitude of her achievements - in such a short space of time - it is absolutely unbelievable...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

She is amazing. How many British sports people have honestly been genuine worldwide superstars? Not many. Lennox Lewis maybe?

We could well have another one here.

Both have Canadian connections also.

Fantastic her Father made her concentrate on her A levels which she breezed and 3 months later US open winner, 2 million in the bank, nailed on SPOTY, great speaker and an all round good egg. Congrats Emma.

I don't remember Rusedski, another Canadian born Brit, getting this reaction:rofl:

Looks like her rise was so meteoric, Badge doesn't even know her name :D

Tbh I am not sure how well the public took to Lewis. I remember when Millwall played Arsenal at Highbury and Lennox supposedly a MIllwall fan turned up and the Millwall crowd started shouting Bruno, Bruno.....:D

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

I don't remember Rusedski, another Canadian born Brit, getting this reaction:rofl:

Think the difference is she's lived in the UK most of her life.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chunky said:

When you think of the magnitude of her achievements - in such a short space of time - it is absolutely unbelievable...

Although not mentioned anywhere John Salisbury a tennis player from London and with a singles ranking of 599 should also be feted by this country. He won the USA men's doubles title with his partner Randi Ram and followed this up by winning the mixed doubles title as well

• Like 1

Phenomenal achievement especially when you consider that she had to get through three qualifying matches the week before the championship. Incredible consistency not to drop a set in any match let alone at her age. Well done Emma. Seems like she's a canny lass.

Edited by jrs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Looks like her rise was so meteoric, Badge doesn't even know her name :D

Tbh I am not sure how well the public took to Lewis. I remember when Millwall played Arsenal at Highbury and Lennox supposedly a MIllwall fan turned up and the Millwall crowd started shouting Bruno, Bruno.....:D

I realised I'd spelled it wrong but have no idea how to amend the title :unsure:

Senior moment :P

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

Is that the same Greg Rudedski who won Sports Personality of the Year when he reached the US Open final?

Several reasons probably. Partly because he was in his twenties when he switched to GB and already established and a player. Emma is a true British girl. She grew up here and came throgh the British tennis system.

Also, she won. He didn't. And she's 18 and was a qualifier.

She's also better looking than Greg! She has natural beauty and charisma whereas Greg looks like Sam Masters.

Edited by Grachan
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Although not mentioned anywhere John Salisbury a tennis player from London and with a singles ranking of 599 should also be feted by this country. He won the USA men's doubles title with his partner Randi Ram and followed this up by winning the mixed doubles title as well

Don't forget, he won the Mixed at Roland Garros, and the Men's in Aussie last year also.