British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Emma Raducanu

Apparently she's caused a rift in the Royal household - as the Queen supports a teenage girl in a US Court:D

• Haha 7

Fantastic match..well done Emma

• Like 5

Over 9 million watched it live on Channel 4, good move by that station to have it on free to view for late night Saturday viewing. 

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 10:04 AM, Badge said:

I realised I'd spelled it wrong but have no idea how to amend the title :unsure:

Senior moment :P

right click on title, box appears & edit.

31 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

right click on title, box appears & edit.

Not on my tablet sadly 

Fantastic achievement, especially to go from qualifying all the way to winning the final without dropping a set or even needing a tie-break.  

I see that she likes her motorsports and even does some motocross, maybe she'd like to invest her winnings in a few speedway teams :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Badge said:

Not on my tablet sadly 

Edit your first post ?

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Edit your first post ?

:blush::t:

• Like 1

An absolutely amazing achievement. But it has taken all the suspense out of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award this year....

49 minutes ago, norbold said:

An absolutely amazing achievement. But it has taken all the suspense out of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award this year....

It’s a long time since there was any suspense in SPOTY ! Borefest of the year usually .She will deserve to win though. Unlike most winners of recent years she does actually have a personality, in fact she is the full package both on and off the tennis court . Let’s hope she is well managed and her handlers keep the gutter press at bay. Can’t help wishing her well. She is a breath of fresh air.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Fantastic achievement, especially to go from qualifying all the way to winning the final without dropping a set or even needing a tie-break.  

I see that she likes her motorsports and even does some motocross, maybe she'd like to invest her winnings in a few speedway teams :D

:o

My advice to her would be to sign for as many endorsements as she can right now and immediately retire.

What a legend she would be!

Undoubtedly it's an amazing achievement to win it as a qualifier and with the long historical wait for a British Women to win a major tennis tournament.

She also will deserve to win SPOTY.

I do think our media at a headline level have made the most of focusing on the long wait, her lack of professional game time & just finishing her A levels.

In reality, Raducanu has trained for this her whole life, she was very highly rated as a Junior and has been in the women's rankings since 2018, steadily rising.

Like most young players her ability has been overlooked simply because of her age, her lack of ranking, lack of professional experience which is because she has quite rightly been focused on studying.

Interestingly the women's game has come out of a long period of dominant players. To having a lot of competition.

There have been 14 different winners of Majors in women's Tennis since 2016, Including Andreescu, Square at 19, Osaka, Ostapenko at 20 and Kenin at 21.

It's pretty normal for Majors to be won by young players. So in some ways I don't think it was that much of a Shock Result.

I watched only four games in the middle of the first set but was impressed with the strokes of both players, who were aggressive and repeatedly seeking a winner.

Contrast that with the tedium of many matches where women trade base line shots, mostly straight to each other down the middle.