British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

Wonder if they if they are still planning to go to USA anytime soon for a GP especially now with the change of rights holders. While there isn't an American that is anywhere near up to the world class standards of Penhall, Ermolenko, Hancock & Hamill etc I'm sure Luke Becker could still mix it up a bit . Or will Wilbur Hancock be the next to crack it on the world stage?

Speedway will benefit hugely from USA being represented in the GP once again and I think Luke Becker would be a refreshing addition along with a GP in USA :t: .......yet the organisers seem to think that having some countries represented in the GP benefits them more even if the rider as failed to qualify automatically. Not sure what Slovakia and Slovenia being represented in the GP as done for the series especially now as their riders are 12th and 14th in the standings.

Edited by PirateShip
  • Like 1

Dont really think it matters where they are from as long as the best are in it
Or at the very least its 15 out of the best 20. What the GPs dont benefit from are  riders like Bertzon and KK getting 1/2 points every time...

Edited by RPNY
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Commercial reasons will dictate as usual but I disagree about Vaculik.  He's finished 5th once but the other three years his highest has been 9th and this year he was pretty mediocre.  I'd go with someone else and I fully applaud sharing the chances around - as with financial services/shares, past performance is no guarantee of future performance :D

I disagree that this year he is mediocre, he had a couple 7th places and a 9th. The meeting he got injured he had 2 rides, 6 points, that is definitely mediocre, maybe he would have been on the podium or top of the podium. If he had done that he would have been a cert more then likely for next year. Martin is a proper racer, not a passenger hanging on picking up odd points. He is coming up to his prime years, for me he is a definite goer for next year.  Danger is they could pick 37 year old Jan Kolodzeiz who had his best years about 15 years ago.

10 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Commercial reasons will dictate as usual but I disagree about Vaculik.  He's finished 5th once but the other three years his highest has been 9th and this year he was pretty mediocre.  I'd go with someone else and I fully applaud sharing the chances around - as with financial services/shares, past performance is no guarantee of future performance :D

This is 6th in the Ekstraliga averages, averaging more in the GPs than Thomsen and Lambert "mediocre" Vaculik? I don't believe he is in the series for commercial reasons at all - far less so than Lambert, Thomsen, and with a much better case for a wildcard. Out of interest, who would you put in instead?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

This is 6th in the Ekstraliga averages, averaging more in the GPs than Thomsen and Lambert "mediocre" Vaculik? I don't believe he is in the series for commercial reasons at all - far less so than Lambert, Thomsen, and with a much better case for a wildcard. Out of interest, who would you put in instead?

My point about past performance is simply that whether someone is top in any averages or 12th in this league or that it matters not, it's future performances in the GPs that count.  As you mention Lambert, he has in fact finished ahead of Vaculik in more GPs this year!

How many times has the rider who is top Brit in the league averages in the UK won the British title?  Vaculik to me is an 'also ran', yes occasionally he may get a race win or two but mostly around 9th/10th and he's had several goes - this year he's been 9th, 7th, 7th, 11th, 12th & 9th.  I'd just like to see different people in the series to mix it up. 

Edited by SPEEDY69

You have got different people this year, 1 performs reasonable, 2 not so good. You want more then 3 new ones each year?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

You have got different people this year, 1 performs reasonable, 2 not so good. You want more then 3 new ones each year?

Not necessarily.  Those who've had several years in it but still got nowhere should not be getting wildcards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Well what is the point of wild cards otherwise if you are just going to give them to riders placed 7,8,9,10,11,12,13 (depending one who qualified from the GP challenge)?
I definitely think they should be more "wild" with their picks but perhaps be more committed to it and it and the riders 2-3 seasons to establish themselves in the SGP.

• Like 2

Think doyle madsen vaculik are certs thomsen should be ok he’s finished on the rostrum lambert needs a final if not a top 3 finish in Toruń to make certain 

if not who do you put in bewley holder I don’t think are ready Kubera means too many poles

be interesting to see how p p the young pole goes (couldn’t be bothered about spelling his name lol )

13 hours ago, Ghostwalker said:

Well what is the point of wild cards otherwise if you are just going to give them to riders placed 7,8,9,10,11,12,13 (depending one who qualified from the GP challenge)?
I definitely think they should be more "wild" with their picks but perhaps be more committed to it and it and the riders 2-3 seasons to establish themselves in the SGP.

Problem with giving riders 2-3 seasons ((and I can see your point) is that the end of year one, they stay, but for selectors to “go wild” and pick another three would mean three to go from the remaining twelve and be replaced by another three to be developed. You could end up with 6 riders you are hoping will develop and they may/or may not, and the series could be worse.

Its tricky for the selectors, absolutely. Not being able to please all the people all of the time (or should it be hardly any people any time)

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Top 15 riders in the world… end of

Based on?  If you think Polish league then that'd be a return for Kolodiez, Bjerre, P Pawlicki and N Pedersen.  Nations/federations would never agree and I don't think the GPs ever intended to be the 'top' riders in the world.  Maybe they should do that with other sporting events such as the Olympics, F1, Moto GP, Tennis and Golf majors..... oh no, they don't :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Top 15 riders in the world… end of

If the wildcard picks go the way the hive mind on here seems to think (and I'm with the crowd here too) then we will be as close to the top 15 as we have ever been. 14 of the predicted riders are in the Polish Ekstraliga top 20 averages., only Freddie Lindgren is outside the top 20, but his GP form clearly justifies his inclusion. 

Of the 20 top riders in the Ekstraliga two are under 21 reserves who should be discounted because their averages are inflated. That leaves in order: Kolodziej, N Pedersen, J Holder and G Laguta as the only ones not likely to be in the GP series next year. I could make a claim for any of those four, but none would be overwhelming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

If the wildcard picks go the way the hive mind on here seems to think (and I'm with the crowd here too) then we will be as close to the top 15 as we have ever been. 14 of the predicted riders are in the Polish Ekstraliga top 20 averages., only Freddie Lindgren is outside the top 20, but his GP form clearly justifies his inclusion. 

Of the 20 top riders in the Ekstraliga two are under 21 reserves who should be discounted because their averages are inflated. That leaves in order: Kolodziej, N Pedersen, J Holder and G Laguta as the only ones not likely to be in the GP series next year. I could make a claim for any of those four, but none would be overwhelming.

In all honesty I'd rather see Pedersen, Holder or Kubera in the series than Thomsen - but none have compelling arguments, and for varying reasons, I don't see any of them getting a pick. 

• Like 2