British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

Thomsen & Lambert haven't done anything to deserve a wildcard imo and I think the line-up needs freshening up big time.

Locks imo

Vaculik should get one because his campaign was wrecked by injury. 

Madsen should get one because he's been battling niggling injuries this year and he's much better than his performances this year suggest.

Doyle has to get one imo. Poor GP campaign but he's been flying in Poland and Sweden to prove he's still capable of beating GP riders on a regular basis.

The other two places should go to a couple of the following.

Nicki Pedersen (If he changes his mind and wants one) 

Dominik Kubera (Yes I know we've got too many Poles as it is but he's proven that he deserves a pick after his performances in the GP's this year, It's better to pick riders on merit rather than nationality because you'll just end up with filler riders like this year which isn't good viewing.)

Jack Holder (A fresh face in the GP's who's improved as a rider year on year and I think he should be given a chance to compete in the GP's over a Robert Lambert for example who got his chance this year.)

Martin Smolinski (Why not throw a German rider into the mix who happens to be a former GP rider and a GP round winner.) 

Edited by KingoftheTrack
  • Like 1

Re should under 21 world champ get into the following year GP series……..Absolutely not. They are too young, not mature racers. A GP year needs more the a youngster doing well in one meeting. Look at Lambert, he has been ok this year, but he had a dabble partly full time and didn’t make the cut IMO. Where is Drabik, where is Smektala…. Really promising youngsters. Yes, they could well make the GP in couple years time, but it takes time to mature, get the stamina for a season long fight, plus sponsors etc.  Recall Vaculik went missing for a couple or three years. That was his choice, he did well in his first GP appearance, but nothing spectacular afterward. He retired from GP, as he said, to mature as a rider, and that’s what he did. Emil left the GP scene because he was having sponsorship problems, it costs a lot to do a season of GPs, I understand prize money is not all that great.         
Must ensure under 21 world champ gets a wold card for a GP and in the list as series reserve.
Just my thoughts.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

Normally I'd go for new faces but I reckon Thomsen and Lambert deserve another go plus Kubera and then the obvious ones. Not sure about Vaculik but he has been unlucky

24 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Re should under 21 world champ get into the following year GP series……..Absolutely not. They are too young, not mature racers. A GP year needs more the a youngster doing well in one meeting. Look at Lambert, he has been ok this year, but he had a dabble partly full time and didn’t make the cut IMO. Where is Drabik, where is Smektala…. Really promising youngsters. Yes, they could well make the GP in couple years time, but it takes time to mature, get the stamina for a season long fight, plus sponsors etc.  Recall Vaculik went missing for a couple or three years. That was his choice, he did well in his first GP appearance, but nothing spectacular afterward. He retired from GP, as he said, to mature as a rider, and that’s what he did. Emil left the GP scene because he was having sponsorship problems, it costs a lot to do a season of GPs, I understand prize money is not all that great.         
Must ensure under 21 world champ gets a wold card for a GP and in the list as series reserve.
Just my thoughts.

Kubera is 22, Gleb Chugonov is 21......and they didn't do too bad.

37 minutes ago, bruno said:

Normally I'd go for new faces but I reckon Thomsen and Lambert deserve another go plus Kubera and then the obvious ones. Not sure about Vaculik but he has been unlucky

Perhaps but he only managed top 8 once in 6 tries (including this season (injured)) so does he really deserve another try?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Vaculík

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

Kubera is 22, Gleb Chugonov is 21......and they didn't do too bad.

I won’t disagree with you, Kubera did well riding on his own track - twice. For sure they proved a youngster can do it once, maybe twice, but for a whole season, Lamvbert has shown it is a tough year.  I repeat, where is Drabik and Smektala, these were the top under 21’s for a few years, they got Wild cards, but conspicuous by there absence. We’re they in the GPChallenge, it’s either GPChallenge or Euro Champ for them to qualify by right.

Just now, OveFundinFan said:

I won’t disagree with you, Kubera did well riding on his own track - twice. For sure they proved a youngster can do it once, maybe twice, but for a whole season, Lamvbert has shown it is a tough year.  I repeat, where is Drabik and Smektala, these were the top under 21’s for a few years, they got Wild cards, but conspicuous by there absence. We’re they in the GPChallenge, it’s either GPChallenge or Euro Champ for them to qualify by right.

Emil was 19 when he started in the GPS in 2009 and finished 3rd that year. Think maybe depends on the rider rather than just age

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laguta is not going to get caught up in a battle. Knows what he needs to do. Problem is he could get an engine failure unexpectedly.

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Drabik can`t ride when suspended can he !!!!!

After tonight’s showing I think Robert has nailed a wild card, equally, Thomson has lost his chance IMO.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:45 AM, SPEEDY69 said:

Not necessarily.  Those who've had several years in it but still got nowhere should not be getting wildcards

Agree. What frustrates me is older riders in the series who rarely fire a shot, have already got in for the following year via the GP Challenge. 

12 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That should apply to all riders (Including current GP-riders) then, do away with the wild cards and keep 1 wild card if someone of the top riders fall out because of injury.

Edited by Ghostwalker

14 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Thomsen & Lambert haven't done anything to deserve a wildcard imo and I think the line-up needs freshening up big time.

Locks imo

Vaculik should get one because his campaign was wrecked by injury. 

Madsen should get one because he's been battling niggling injuries this year and he's much better than his performances this year suggest.

Doyle has to get one imo. Poor GP campaign but he's been flying in Poland and Sweden to prove he's still capable of beating GP riders on a regular basis.

The other two places should go to a couple of the following.

Nicki Pedersen (If he changes his mind and wants one) 

Dominik Kubera (Yes I know we've got too many Poles as it is but he's proven that he deserves a pick after his performances in the GP's this year, It's better to pick riders on merit rather than nationality because you'll just end up with filler riders like this year which isn't good viewing.)

Jack Holder (A fresh face in the GP's who's improved as a rider year on year and I think he should be given a chance to compete in the GP's over a Robert Lambert for example who got his chance this year.)

Martin Smolinski (Why not throw a German rider into the mix who happens to be a former GP rider and a GP round winner.) 

Smolinski? Jeez and u'd put him ahead of Lambert!?! 

That's very progressive thinkin I must say! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1