Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

Glad Lambert is back, after a mixed year it would not be good to miss out on a year or two , he needs continuity to build on in the GP series.

2022 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX LINE-UP:

1. Artem Laguta (MFR)

2. Bartosz Zmarzlik (Poland)

3. Emil Sayfutdinov (MFR)

4. Maciej Janowski (Poland)

5. Fredrik Lindgren (Sweden)

6. Tai Woffinden (Great Britain)

7. Leon Madsen (Denmark)

8. Max Fricke (Australia)

9. Jason Doyle (Australia)

10. Robert Lambert (Great Britain)

11. Anders Thomsen (Denmark)

12. Martin Vaculik (Slovakia)

13. Pawel Przedpelski (Poland)

14. Mikkel Michelsen (Denmark)

15. Patryk Dudek (Poland)

Outrageous, how dare the FIM make all the sensible picks just as we predicted leaving us nothing to whinge about. Shocked!

PS Kubera, J Holder, Bewley, Chugunov and Miskowiak for my preferred reserve list.

• Like 9

The only one who has got a pick who I thought may not is Thomsen, but he's a good inconsistent spoiler so I'm glad he's returning.  But the next two potential picks being Kubera & Miskowiak both being Polish and 4 Poles already qualified the only other options was possibly Jack Holder.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

The only one that might have been considered ahead of one of the five is Kubera, but he lost out because there were already four Poles in the field. 

You've got to feel for Dominik Kubera. 3 GPs, 3 semis, 2 finals and 2 podiums. At the same rate of scoring over 11 GPs he would have finished with 161 points placing him 3rd ahead of Emil in the overall standings.

I know statistics can be misleading but if it had been me, I'd have lost my birth certificate :P

4 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Worst pack of wildcard choices ever. Which is saying something.

Looks like Discovery are starting off with a whimper just like BSI finished with.

Next we will hear that Morris is staying on.

Agreed.  Wildcards to me should be exactly that, not the same old faces.  No other sport fills their events only with the 'considered by some' the best in the world from last year.  As I said before Radecanu winning the US Open got huge media coverage, as did Joe Johnson in snooker back in the 80s or Boris Becker at Wimbledon, Jerzy S in 73, - anyone remember Eddie the Eagle :D. Sport should be unpredictable and trying to generate media interest from a story that the favourite won again is unlikely to be welcomed with enthusiasm.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, False dawn said:

You've got to feel for Dominik Kubera. 3 GPs, 3 semis, 2 finals and 2 podiums. At the same rate of scoring over 11 GPs he would have finished with 161 points placing him 3rd ahead of Emil in the overall standings.

I know statistics can be misleading but if it had been me, I'd have lost my birth certificate :P

He's not in the 'top 15' in the eyes of many on here it seems so shouldn't be in there.  He's clearly showed he's not good enough ;)

Unless one is in with a chance of the top 3 finish, why bust a gut striving for 6th. place, when the 6 below you get picked anyway. I agree Kubera should have got a place... does it really matter how many Poles or how few British?. Was anyone else even considered or were the wildcards decided long ago?.

• Like 3

Year in year out NP/KT as well as those in the studio bang on endlessly towards the end of the season about the importance in finishing in the top 6, or 8 as was..

Utter bullsh!t when every year the top 10 are pretty much nailed on.

No jeopardy. No reason to do the qualifiers. 

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Thomsen hasn't done anything to deserve a pick and has been chosen based on nationality imo.

Even around his home Danish track in Vojens he was abysmal. 

Feel for Kubera who's missed out due to Przedpelski winning a spot.

• Like 1

what about Vaculik - he got his 4th nomination within 5 years (same as Harris, Nicholls, Lindgren in the past) - he was injured this year, but probably wouldn't have reached the top 6 anyway

but if you cannot get a place in the top 6 (or 8) more than once within 5 years are you stll rated as a world championship challenger??

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, secondbend said:

what about Vaculik - he got his 4th nomination within 5 years (same as Harris, Nicholls, Lindgren in the past) - he was injured this year, but probably wouldn't have reached the top 6 anyway

but if you cannot get a place in the top 6 (or 8) more than once within 5 years are you stll rated as a world championship challenger??

Strange one Lindgren, top 3 or 4 regularly now , but a few years people were moaning he had too many chances. Not my favourite rider but always seem to be in the mix these days.

26 minutes ago, secondbend said:

As I said a few days ago, top 8 safe for next season, rest will have to qualify with one wild card reserved if one of the regular happens to get injured.
If a rider doesn't manage top 8 and doesn't manage to qualify or don't bother to enter qualifiers then that one have to sit out a year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

Maybe he should just qualify if he's that good .. just a thought 

• Like 4