British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

I’m the discovery press release they stated local wildcards for the rounds, but I mean… who

Žagar. That will bring 3000 Slovenians fans more to the Gorican. At the end of the day, they are doing business.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

They do not rarely add to the crowd when GP’s have been held at venue’s where they don’t have a rider in the ‘15’- such as previously Gorican,NZ, Norway, Finland etc etc- then it makes a big difference

Yes... Three of those we have not seen a SGP  for years as they were not financially viable WITH or without wildcards; so hardly a strong argument for imposing them on the dozens and dozens of meetings that don't need them at all. 

Despite all the flim flam of the press conference I don't see it really happening that we end up with viable GPs n all these other places Discovery say.

And Gorican ... Oh yes let's have a dead spot in every GP All year just so we can resurrect Zagar for one evening. Wonderful.I

Tbh any country that 'needs' a wildcard to get a decent crowd is probably not worth having  GP in any case.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Does F1 have the best drivers in the world?  Each year it seems to be the same faces, until it gets to be the same “old” faces. No wild card picks, no GP Challenge qualifier. Of course we do see some new name has burst onto the scene…… but then you read their rich daddy has pumped millions into buying his son a team place.            
Imagine this forum going crazy each year of speedway was loke that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I thought the rules were that if anyone dropped out, for whatever reason, the next in line from the challenge takes their place?  That was the case and therefore, by definition he qualified to be in the series the following year. 

I've said what I think about the field and my view that there will continue to be little media attention and therefore growth.  I cannot change that so will continue to watch from afar and follow team speedway in the UK.  The GPs have never really grabbed my attention like the World Finals previously and whilst I have been to Cardiff a few times I was never really that interested in who won.

The challenge means a lot less now, it's either top 3 (or 4 if a GP riders qualifies) or bust! So 5th is no better than 16th in this meeting! I don't know why they have to "declare" GP reserves, just go in order of the GP challenge non-qualifiers! Would make the GP challenge more interesting, riders aiming to finish as high as possible even if the top 3/4 is out of reach! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Yes... Three of those we have not seen a SGP  for years as they were not financially viable WITH or without wildcards; so hardly a strong argument for imposing them on the dozens and dozens of meetings that don't need them at all. 

Despite all the flim flam of the press conference I don't see it really happening that we end up with viable GPs n all these other places Discovery say.

And Gorican ... Oh yes let's have a dead spot in every GP All year just so we can resurrect Zagar for one evening. Wonderful.I

Tbh any country that 'needs' a wildcard to get a decent crowd is probably not worth having  GP in any case.

I have thought that recently! Just have the top 16 riders & no wildcards! If a country doesn't think it can draw a crowd to see Zmarzlik, Laguta, Woffinden & Sayfutdinov fighting for the world title - don't host a round!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I have thought that recently! Just have the top 16 riders & no wildcards! If a country doesn't think it can draw a crowd to see Zmarzlik, Laguta, Woffinden & Sayfutdinov fighting for the world title - don't host a round!

So, if there was going to be no Brits racing at Cardiff do you think it would still attract 44000?  I reckon there would be some even from this forum that would say they wouldn’t bother going.            
Wouldn’t bother me because I love GP racing, whoever it is, but I reckon it could bother others.

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

So, if there was going to be no Brits racing at Cardiff do you think it would still attract 44000?  I reckon there would be some even from this forum that would say they wouldn’t bother going.            
Wouldn’t bother me because I love GP racing, whoever it is, but I reckon it could bother others.

Utterly stupid point to try to make.

There never has been nor will there ever be a year without at least one full permanent member of the series from GB.

Edited by Grand Central

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Does F1 have the best drivers in the world?  Each year it seems to be the same faces, until it gets to be the same “old” faces. No wild card picks, no GP Challenge qualifier. Of course we do see some new name has burst onto the scene…… but then you read their rich daddy has pumped millions into buying his son a team place.            
Imagine this forum going crazy each year of speedway was loke that.

It was like that when Gorcan came on the scene and Pavlic got wildcards

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

Utterly stupid point to try to make.

There never had been not ever will there be a year without at least one full permanent member of the series from GB.

No, but there were plenty here a decade or so ago always posting that GB had to get a wc because Cardiff was the most important GP on the calendar

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No, but there were plenty here a decade or so ago always posting that GB had to get a wc because Cardiff was the most important GP on the calendar

It goes way beyond round by round wildcards; which is what I was just discussing.

No postings were or are ever to be  needed here to ensure continued full time representation for GB in the series. The promoters know which side their bread is buttered.

The reason why there will always be at least one GB rider as a permanent rider (even as a season long wildcard) is not just about Cardiff. It will matter for the TV contracts much more. 

Edited by Grand Central

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

It goes way beyond rounded by round wikdcards; which is what I was just discussing.

No postings were it are ever to be  needed here to ensure continued full time representation for GB in the series. The promoters know which side their bread is buttered.

The reason why there will always be at least one GB rider as a permanent rider (even as a season long wilfcard) goes way beyond Cardiff. It will matter for the TV contracts much more. 

I don't disagree with you, I am just stating what many on here were saying. It wasn't the meeting wildcard, but a season long one that was important/needed. And it could well be the same people who state they want the top 15 in the world as long as one of their countrymen is in. In this case, GB. But once they don't have a rider in, they will start to say, it is important to get a permanent wc, and like you point out it sometimes is. Which takes us back to the point I made about ice speedway

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I don't disagree with you, I am just stating what many on here were saying. It wasn't the meeting wildcard, but a season long one that was important/needed. And it could well be the same people who state they want the top 15 in the world as long as one of their countrymen is in. In this case, GB. But once they don't have a rider in, they will start to say, it is important to get a permanent wc, and like you point out it sometimes is. Which takes us back to the point I made about ice speedway

Well there seems an awful lot of Germans up in arms today because Smolinksi hasn't made it onto the reserves list either.

5 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Well there seems an awful lot of Germans up in arms today because Smolinksi hasn't made it onto the reserves list either.

Really ? Haven't seen a single post tbh. But although I haven't followed his season too closely, I thought he was on the way down form wise

Just checked, and he is behind Huckenbeck and Wölbert in the Polish div 2 averages. Not sure if he rode in Sweden ? I wouldn't think he deserves one and neither do the other two, and I am a Wölbert fan of many years

Edited by iris123

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Really ? Haven't seen a single post tbh. But although I haven't followed his season too closely, I thought he was on the way down form wise

Yes, saw the postings on Facebook this morning about the reserve list announcement and most comments appeared to be about Martin and in German. Without any smiley faces.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Yes, saw the postings on Facebook this morning about the reserve list announcement and most comments appeared to be about Martin and in German. Without any smiley faces.

The one thing he has going for him, over most if not all German, and many others, is that he talks a good game, and is more media savvy than most. In the Egon Müller mould, though without the success/talent of Müller. They are the only two I have seen on tv talk shows here

• Like 1