British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Utterly stupid point to try to make.

There never has been nor will there ever be a year without at least one full permanent member of the series from GB.

I may be remembering this completely wrong, quite possible given my advancing years, but I seem to recall a Wembley WF with no British representation. It did not seem to affect the attendance that much. I am sure someone will correct me if I am spouting rubbish.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I may be remembering this completely wrong, quite possible given my advancing years, but I seem to recall a Wembley WF with no British representation. It did not seem to affect the attendance that much. I am sure someone will correct me if I am spouting rubbish.

I wouldn't say you're spouting rubbish, but your memory is playing tricks on you! Remember, the last few Wembley finals had a contingent of at least four Brits qualifying directly from the British Final.

The worst year for English qualifiers was 1969. The "British" contingent consisted of three New Zealanders, a Scot, a Welshman, and Nigel Boocock.

Everyone was horrified when Trevor Hedge was the sole Englishman in Poland in 1970.

1 minute ago, chunky said:

I wouldn't say you're spouting rubbish, but your memory is playing tricks on you! Remember, the last few Wembley finals had a contingent of at least four Brits qualifying directly from the British Final.

The worst year for English qualifiers was 1969. The "British" contingent consisted of three New Zealanders, a Scot, a Welshman, and Nigel Boocock.

Everyone was horrified when Trevor Hedge was the sole Englishman in Poland in 1970.

There you go then. At 73 I have finally lost the plot.

Just now, customhouseregular said:

There you go then. At 73 I have finally lost the plot.

Nah... It's all the idiots on here that make you feel that way! I'm only 59 and after an hour on here, I feel I'm going loopy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Bloody hell I remember going to Wembley in 1969.  Arnold Haley was the reserve   

38 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Bloody hell I remember going to Wembley in 1969.  Arnold Haley was the reserve   

Yep! I was on the fourth bend - as a 7-year-old.

5 hours ago, chunky said:

And '85 Tatum the only Brit at Odsal

1 minute ago, waiheke1 said:

And '85 Tatum the only Brit at Odsal

Of course (and I was there too...)

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

Really ? Haven't seen a single post tbh. But although I haven't followed his season too closely, I thought he was on the way down form wise

Just checked, and he is behind Huckenbeck and Wölbert in the Polish div 2 averages. Not sure if he rode in Sweden ? I wouldn't think he deserves one and neither do the other two, and I am a Wölbert fan of many years

He rode for Masarna. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Yep! I was on the fourth bend - as a 7-year-old.

I remember you. You were the one throwing darts at my programme board weren't you?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, norbold said:

I remember you. You were the one throwing darts at my programme board weren't you?

Come on, Norman; why would I do that? I was actually aiming for you! I just wasn't that accurate back then...

On 10/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, Rob B said:

Reserves :

SR1. Jack Holder (Australia)

SR2. Dan Bewley (Great Britain)

SR3. Andzejs Lebedevs (Latvia)

SR4. Jakub Miskowiak (Poland)

SR5. Mads Hansen (Denmark)

SR6. Luke Becker (USA)

SR7. David Bellego (France)

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mark246.  That seems a fair list.  The only one perhaps missing is Kubera, but maybe he refused, nooner know.  Nice to see an American in the list.  Unlikely to get a meeting, but it sure will be a positive encouragement.