British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waiheke1

Wildcards 2022

13 hours ago, severnsider said:

Emil was 19 when he started in the GPS in 2009 and finished 3rd that year. Think maybe depends on the rider rather than just age

Indeed. Bartosz on the GP podium at barely 17 too. I'd agree in general, a full GP season for most youngsters is too much. 

• Like 1

I think madsen and doyle are certs 

think thomsen will get a pick after finishing 3rd in Russia 

lambert s finishing with 3 semifinals in  the last 3 gps should see him get a pick 

and due to his injuries I d expect them to give vaculik a pick   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Thomsen & Lambert haven't done anything to deserve a wildcard imo and I think the line-up needs freshening up big time.

Locks imo

Vaculik should get one because his campaign was wrecked by injury. 

Madsen should get one because he's been battling niggling injuries this year and he's much better than his performances this year suggest.

Doyle has to get one imo. Poor GP campaign but he's been flying in Poland and Sweden to prove he's still capable of beating GP riders on a regular basis.

The other two places should go to a couple of the following.

Nicki Pedersen (If he changes his mind and wants one) 

Dominik Kubera (Yes I know we've got too many Poles as it is but he's proven that he deserves a pick after his performances in the GP's this year, It's better to pick riders on merit rather than nationality because you'll just end up with filler riders like this year which isn't good viewing.)

Jack Holder (A fresh face in the GP's who's improved as a rider year on year and I think he should be given a chance to compete in the GP's over a Robert Lambert for example who got his chance this year.)

Martin Smolinski (Why not throw a German rider into the mix who happens to be a former GP rider and a GP round winner.) 

Some strange choices, but probably due to the real lack in depth nowadays in the sport. No real great star in Denmark and only Freddie in Sweden.

You'd ( I mean the authorities) probably keep Vaculik just because it is another country that might never get a rider in the top echelons again. Same with Zagar

Lambert AND Bewley should get wildcards - we already have four Poles, so we could (should) have three Brits

I think it should be the best riders irrespective of Nationality.

Madsen,Doyle,Lambert,with the rest from Kubera,Thomson,Vaculik,Bewlay or Chugenov,Jack Holder.GrigoryLaguta is good enough but doesn’t seem interested in GP’s( although he does keep entering the Qualifiers)

4 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Smolinski? Jeez and u'd put him ahead of Lambert!?! 

That's very progressive thinkin I must say! :rolleyes:

Different nationalities.

Something for the German market and fans.

8 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Different nationalities.

Yes that is true but what is the point of having a rider who will be odds on to finish in the bottom 3 of the series as a wild card pick. He won a GP but he is a one hit wonder. 

Latvian rider Andzejs Lebedevs would be a far better option than Smolinski. 

• Like 3

SGP qualification is an easy process. 

SGP Top 8

The remaining 7 from combining highest averages from Ekstraliga & Elitserien 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

SGP qualification is an easy process. 

SGP Top 8

The remaining 7 from combining highest averages from Ekstraliga & Elitserien 

Which funnily enough would give 14 of the same riders that most people seem to be expecting. The one change would be Piotr Pawlicki for Przedpelski.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Which funnily enough would give 14 of the same riders that most people seem to be expecting. The one change would be Piotr Pawlicki for Przedpelski.

Shows they're clearly the best 15 in the World then, which is exactly what the series should be 

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, gbrussell said:

Agree. What frustrates me is older riders in the series who rarely fire a shot, have already got in for the following year via the GP Challenge. 

Then they deserve to be there! If you want new young exciting riders in the GP, they need to beat the older riders in the qualifiers!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, OveFundinFan said:

Re should under 21 world champ get into the following year GP series……..Absolutely not. They are too young, not mature racers. A GP year needs more the a youngster doing well in one meeting. Look at Lambert, he has been ok this year, but he had a dabble partly full time and didn’t make the cut IMO. Where is Drabik, where is Smektala…. Really promising youngsters. Yes, they could well make the GP in couple years time, but it takes time to mature, get the stamina for a season long fight, plus sponsors etc.  Recall Vaculik went missing for a couple or three years. That was his choice, he did well in his first GP appearance, but nothing spectacular afterward. He retired from GP, as he said, to mature as a rider, and that’s what he did. Emil left the GP scene because he was having sponsorship problems, it costs a lot to do a season of GPs, I understand prize money is not all that great.         
Must ensure under 21 world champ gets a wold card for a GP and in the list as series reserve.
Just my thoughts.

I don't mind the world U-21 champ getting a place in the GP challenge, but definitely not direct to the GP series!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Different nationalities.

I'd agree wirth Smolinski, he qualified for the series but couldn't take his place due to injury. Others have had multiple seasons in the 'also ran' category. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I'd agree wirth Smolinski, he qualified for the series but couldn't take his place due to injury. Others have had multiple seasons in the 'also ran' category. 

No way Smoli should be anywhere near a wildcard picj

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iris123 said:

Some strange choices, but probably due to the real lack in depth nowadays in the sport. No real great star in Denmark and only Freddie in Sweden.

You'd ( I mean the authorities) probably keep Vaculik just because it is another country that might never get a rider in the top echelons again. Same with Zagar

Vaculik will get a pick because he is in the top 10-12 riders in the world, not because he is Slovakian.

The only way imo he wouldn't get a pick would be if he was Polish. 

• Like 3