British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

West Ham Speedway Closes 1972

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Melissa Wilks,who was in Grange Hill.People get her mixed up with Susan Tully who was also in GH, and went to  Eastenders to play Michelle.

My bad memory

No,not really its quite a common mix up as  both girls were very young presenters,but on different programs in the late 70s.

As a Romford supporter I remember going to the last meeting. It was always weird going to Custom House then. Half the stadium had been demolished several years earlier, and the rest was falling to pieces. It was a sad feeling knowing not only that it was the end of this great stadium, but also this was the end of our Bombers who were moving to Barrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HertsRacer said:

As a Romford supporter I remember going to the last meeting. It was always weird going to Custom House then. Half the stadium had been demolished several years earlier, and the rest was falling to pieces. It was a sad feeling knowing not only that it was the end of this great stadium, but also this was the end of our Bombers who were moving to Barrow.

Agree about the stadium. I started going to Custom House when it re-opened in 1964 and the stadium was old and tired looking, but still looked like a proper stadium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HertsRacer said:

The stands on the back straight were demolished after a fire. Some oily rags had been dumped under the stand and somehow caught fire. It really was a great shame because on a summer evening there was no better place to be. From the stands on the home straight you could see the ships funnels all lit up in the King George V Dock, less than half a mile away . It all looked fantastic and added to the atmosphere.

I think part of, the problem was that the stadium was probably thrown up in a bit of a hurry when the sort came here in 1928 when money was short and no thought given to long term plans so was life expired 40 years later. It was a great stadium though. Coventry always reminded me of it in a way and that sadly is no more. Hackney never really had the same atmosphere to my mind though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

.Hackney never really had the same atmosphere to my mind though.

Have to agree there. Custom House was much more imposing, and not only looked like a proper stadium (concrete and corrugated iron), it FELT like a proper stadium...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, E I Addio said:

The stands on the back straight were demolished after a fire. Some oily rags had been dumped under the stand and somehow caught fire. It really was a great shame because on a summer evening there was no better place to be. From the stands on the home straight you could see the ships funnels all lit up in the King George V Dock, less than half a mile away . It all looked fantastic and added to the atmosphere.

I think part of, the problem was that the stadium was probably thrown up in a bit of a hurry when the sort came here in 1928 when money was short and no thought given to long term plans so was life expired 40 years later. It was a great stadium though. Coventry always reminded me of it in a way and that sadly is no more. Hackney never really had the same atmosphere to my mind though.

Those days I was working for a shipping company called The Blue Star Line. I thought that when I went to watch speedway at West Ham I could forget about work but I had to spend the whole evening looking at a ship's funnel from   ... yes you've guested it ... The Blue Star Line.

Edited by Split
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, E I Addio said:

As far as I recall Custom House was designed by Archibald Leitch who was the foremost Stadium designer of the day. Responsible for stands at grounds such as Ibrox, Roker Park and Goodison amongst many others. The trademark lattice design of the metalwork on the double decker stands at West Ham was similar to the ones at the other stadiums mentioned. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, salty said:

As far as I recall Custom House was designed by Archibald Leitch who was the foremost Stadium designer of the day. Responsible for stands at grounds such as Ibrox, Roker Park and Goodison amongst many others. The trademark lattice design of the metalwork on the double decker stands at West Ham was similar to the ones at the other stadiums mentioned. 

Archibald Leach (Leitch?) was the real name of the old time actor Cary Grant. Maybe the stadium designer went on to  make a career for himself in Hollywood under an assumed name :o

Edited by Split
  • Like 1

I went to the last ever meeting at West Ham. The last race was won by Kevin Holden. I used to have a multi signed programme with autographs i got on the night. I was only a youngster, but it was an emotional experience for me. It remains my all time favourite track to this day.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I never got to Custom House as they closed during my first year going to speedway but I do have "History of West Ham Speedway" DVD which makes for fascinating viewing!

Edited by steve roberts

59 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the last ever meeting at West Ham. The last race was won by Kevin Holden. I used to have a multi signed programme with autographs i got on the night. I was only a youngster, but it was an emotional experience for me. It remains my all time favourite track to this day.

I have some great memories of the place. Just scary to think that it's nearly 50 years ago...

• Like 1

My only memory is watching Bjorn Knutson at the stadium after New Cross closed. It was a far bigger track than the Pan.

Why ever did Bjorn retire so early? He became World Champ at the first WF I ever attended.