British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

West Ham Speedway Closes 1972

Before my time unless it was still being produced in 1960. If so probably saw the odd copy though I have no recollection of doing so.

5 minutes ago, andout said:

Here we go again!!!!!

I think you've got the wrong thread; that should be on the Song Title Game!!! :rofl:

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I just had a scary thought. My last visit to West Ham was for the Lokeren Trophy in 1970. I WAS JUST EIGHT YEARS OLD!

I was 18 when the Lokoren disaster happened Pete Bradshaw was riding for Kings Lynn at the time i believe. Used to do 5 or 6 meetings a week in them days what memories i will never forget. Still go these days but it,s not quite the same somehow.

What was the measurement of the West Ham track - when at its biggest? I think it was 440 yards. Was it the biggest ever British speedway?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, TINYS said:

I was 18 when the Lokoren disaster happened Pete Bradshaw was riding for Kings Lynn at the time i believe. Used to do 5 or 6 meetings a week in them days what memories i will never forget. Still go these days but it,s not quite the same somehow.

Pete rode for Lynn in 1969, and switched to the Hammers in 1970.

None of us who were around for that will ever forget it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

What was the measurement of the West Ham track - when at its biggest? I think it was 440 yards. Was it the biggest ever British speedway?

If you look back a page, you will see that it was 440 yards.

Nowhere near the biggest ever; that was Crewe at 470 yards. Did you know there was a track at Crewe?

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Nowhere near the biggest ever; that was Crewe at 470 yards. Did you know there was a track at Crewe?

What about Leicester Super?  Wasn't that about 100 yards longer than Crewe?

2 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

What about Leicester Super?  Wasn't that about 100 yards longer than Crewe?

You are correct! I actually had no idea - it was a little before my time! It was 586 yards...

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

There are some details of Leicester Super on this little-known, obscure, and badly-written website   https://national-speedway-museum.co.uk/leicester super.html

So, what you are saying in fact, is that SOMEONE should have known that West Ham was not the biggest track?

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, chunky said:

There are a couple of pictures taken by me at the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam of Peter during that fateful trip. You can see them here... 

https://customhousekid.webs.com/lokeren2.htm

4 minutes ago, andout said:

There are a couple of pictures taken by me at the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam of Peter during that fateful trip. You can see them here... 

https://customhousekid.webs.com/lokeren2.htm

I've still got his autograph upstairs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I remember Pete Bradshaw well. He had a neat riding style tailor made for West Ham . I really thought he was going to do well in the sport until Lokoren. Martyn Piddock as well.