British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

West Ham Speedway Closes 1972

He's certainly up there with Fundin, Mauger, Briggo, Moore, Craven, Olsen, Michanek, Collins, Nielsen, Gundersen etc.,

Edited by auntie doris

On 10/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, auntie doris said:

My only memory is watching Bjorn Knutson at the stadium after New Cross closed. It was a far bigger track than the Pan.

415 yards but originally 440 yards. Made for nice long heats. We got our money’s worth at West Ham.

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

He's certainly up there with Fundin, Mauger, Briggo, Moore, Craven, Olsen, Michanek, Collins, Nielsen, Gundersen etc.,

1965 was my first WF too. Saw all the Wembley finals after that.

Bjorn was class, Sverre was excitement. Custom House was the place for be mid/late 60’s. I can’t believe it has been 50 years either.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic. But it seems Henry was also exciting, even at the age of 78 :D

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 3:45 PM, BOBBATH said:

Why ever did Bjorn retire so early? He became World Champ at the first WF I ever attended.

I think that sadly, Björn simply became disenchanted with the sport. He was undoubtedly a rider of world class but nerves often seemed to get the better of him on the big occasion. I honestly believe that it was only when becoming world champion wasn't so important to him anymore  (I actually remember seeing him yawning at the pre-meeting parade at that world final) that he could just concentrate on winning races and put his mental issues behind him.  

Good to see Henry Harrfeldt at 78 with his car-there's hope for us all. What did Henry do after  leaving speedway-looks like he made a few bucks-good on him.

Currently there are running two excellent memory threads on Wimbledon and New Cross. That indicates IMO that perhaps some West Ham memories should also be highlighted?

On 10/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, Split said:

I think that sadly, Björn simply became disenchanted with the sport. He was undoubtedly a rider of world class but nerves often seemed to get the better of him on the big occasion. I honestly believe that it was only when becoming world champion wasn't so important to him anymore  (I actually remember seeing him yawning at the pre-meeting parade at that world final) that he could just concentrate on winning races and put his mental issues behind him.  

As someone else said it seems business interests took over rather than disenchantment , in an era where riders generally needed outside briskness interests and didn’t make the sort of money world class riders get today. I think he had a car dealership  but still did some longtrack atbweekends 

45 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Currently there are running two excellent memory threads on Wimbledon and New Cross. That indicates IMO that perhaps some West Ham memories should also be highlighted?

Memory No1 . Briggo winning the last of his six British Championships.  I don’t think I’ve ever seem one rider who towered so much above  the opposition as Briggs did that night . The No2 gate wasn’t working. Nobody was winning from it Even Mauger came last off of it. Then out comes Briggo with a tapes to flag win and a 15 point maximum.

Memory No 2 . England v Sweden , Briggs v Michanek. Michanek gated first , Briggs tried to get through on the inside and was blocked. Tried the outside and was blocked . Then switched back to the inside and cast Michanek aside as if he wasn’t there. Nothing unusual about that you might say ? Well it all happened on the first two bends at Briggs was in front by the time they hit the back straight. Breathtaking stuff.

Memory No 3  . Everything about Ken McKinlay. Hurri-Ken’s glittering career went downhill almost overnight towards the end , but I think that was due to a shoulder injury. It was a privilege to see him at his best . A master of track craft who rode with his head, a skill only matched, perhaps by Leigh Adams in more recent years.

Memory No4 . Just being at the place . It oozed atmosphere.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, E I Addio said:

Spot on. A PROPER stadium...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Memory No1 . Briggo winning the last of his six British Championships.  I don’t think I’ve ever seem one rider who towered so much above  the opposition as Briggs did that night . The No2 gate wasn’t working. Nobody was winning from it Even Mauger came last off of it. Then out comes Briggo with a tapes to flag win and a 15 point maximum.

Memory No 2 . England v Sweden , Briggs v Michanek. Michanek gated first , Briggs tried to get through on the inside and was blocked. Tried the outside and was blocked . Then switched back to the inside and cast Michanek aside as if he wasn’t there. Nothing unusual about that you might say ? Well it all happened on the first two bends at Briggs was in front by the time they hit the back straight. Breathtaking stuff.

Memory No 3  . Everything about Ken McKinlay. Hurri-Ken’s glittering career went downhill almost overnight towards the end , but I think that was due to a shoulder injury. It was a privilege to see him at his best . A master of track craft who rode with his head, a skill only matched, perhaps by Leigh Adams in more recent years.

Lovely post and thank you.

• Like 1

I just had a scary thought. My last visit to West Ham was for the Lokeren Trophy in 1970. I WAS JUST EIGHT YEARS OLD!

I first went to West Ham early in the 1954 season. I have no recollection of the match now. I was there to report on the match for the long gone 'SPEEDWAY GAZETTE'. Does anyone remember the publication?