British Speedway Forum
TotallyHonestJohn

Newcastle v Birmingham (Champ) 1830 19/09/21

Well this is it folks time for the "Fat Lady" to sing....

Possibly the last ever meeting for the Newcastle Diamonds 1929 - 2021... 92 years of History; four world champions; a fantastic tradition with some fantastic teams; great riders; brilliant memories and a life time of friends (and adversaries) from up and down (and across) the country.

The promotion are offering a last walk around the track at the end of the meeting so bring a small bag to take a piece of history with you... potentially your last chance to grab a bit of shale from good old Brough Park... although after last weeks dust fest I have enough down the shower drain to fill in a small pot hole and to be fair I would not have it any other way... well done to Rob Grant and the promotion for steering us through to the end of a very testing season...

So this is it Chris "Bomber" Harris is surely a draw for the locals and Eric Riss who has expressed on more than one occasion of his liking for Brough Park and our very own adopted Geordie Ashley Morris must give the Brummies' a bit of hope in getting a result... and here is the contentious bit... its just straight up the M6 turn right on the A69 and follow the signs for Newcastle then Byker (other routes are available and will no doubt be advised upon accordingly)

Should be a good meeting and according to XC Weather https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/NE6_2XJ it will be fair and rain free but wrap up because it will feel cold as it pulled in a bit against Edinburgh and was feeling a bit nippy before the end.

Oh and buy your ticket on line or get there early as the stadium capacity for the crowd is 2500... lol... I have been told that everyone who has ever been there and been a fan from over the last 50 years will be there on Sunday night so you have been warned...

Oh and "edit pending" once the teams are known I will stick them in here however I think Newcastle will be running with R/R for Matty Weathers

Edit...

NEWCASTLE: Ben Barker, Connor Mountain, James Wright, Max Clegg, Paul Starke, Archie Freeman, Adam Roynon.

BIRMINGHAM: Chris Harris, Josh McDonald , James Shanes R/R, Ashley Morris, Erik Riss, James Sarjeant, Leon Flint.

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 2

Birmingham will use a guest for Jack Thomas who has been ruled for at least seven days.

Edited by screm

21 minutes ago, screm said:

Birmingham will use a guest for Jack Smith who has been ruled for at least seven days.

Hopefully it's for Jack Thomas instead

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, screm said:

Birmingham will use a guest for Jack Smith who has been ruled for at least seven days.

When did Jack Smith ride for Birmingham!!?

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

When did Jack Smith ride for Birmingham!!?

2016!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

it will be fair and rain free but wrap up because it will feel cold as it pulled in a bit against Edinburgh and was feeling a bit nippy before the end.

Oh and buy your ticket on line or get there early as the stadium capacity for the crowd is 2500... lol... I have been told that everyone who has ever been there and been a fan from over the last 50 years will be there on Sunday night so you have been warned...

Regards
THJ

Well if that’s the case ( and regarding the crowd I hope it is) do you think the turnstiles could open at 5:00pm so we don’t get a delayed start due to the crowd still entering the stadium.. Also I hope they print enough programmes as they allegedly sold out for the Kent meeting which was not a massive crowd 

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Possibly the last ever meeting for the Newcastle Diamonds 1929 - 2021... 92 years of History; four world champions; a fantastic tradition with some fantastic teams; great riders; brilliant memories and a life time of friends (and adversaries) from up and down (and across) the country.

The promotion are offering a last walk around the track at the end of the meeting so bring a small bag to take a piece of history with you... potentially your last chance to grab a bit of shale from good old Brough Park... although after last weeks dust fest I have enough down the shower drain to fill in a small pot hole and to be fair I would not have it any other way... well done to Rob Grant and the promotion for steering us through to the end of a very testing season...

So this is it Chris "Bomber" Harris is surely a draw for the locals and Eric Riss who has expressed on more than one occasion of his liking for Brough Park and our very own adopted Geordie Ashley Morris must give the Brummies' a bit of hope in getting a result... and here is the contentious bit... its just straight up the M6 turn right on the A69 and follow the signs for Newcastle then Byker (other routes are available and will no doubt be advised upon accordingly)

Should be a good meeting and according to XC Weather https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/NE6_2XJ it will be fair and rain free but wrap up because it will feel cold as it pulled in a bit against Edinburgh and was feeling a bit nippy before the end.

Oh and "edit pending" once the teams are known I will stick them in here however I think Newcastle will be running with R/R for Matty Weathers

Regards
THJ

I have a feeling that B'ham will 'post' a similar sort of message for their last home meeting?

It's a sure fire winner if the current promotion are looking for one last final 'pay-day'? (business head on etc....)

Really sorry to see the demise of the 'Diamonds'.....my early years were memories of Joe/Tom Owen and Brian Havelock!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

‘four world champions’ John - Can remember Ivan, Ole, Pantomime Villain - who was the fourth please? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB said:

‘four world champions’ John - Can remember Ivan, Ole, Pantomime Villain - who was the fourth please? 

AndersMichenek ( maybe)

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

AndersMichenek ( maybe)

Didn't ride in UK year he won it 1974

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

AndersMichenek ( maybe)

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

But he rode for Newcastle

4 minutes ago, Normski said:

Didn't ride in UK year he won it 1974

Thanks guys - :t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall07 said:

Hopefully it's for Jack Thomas instead

Brain fade, now corrected.:oops:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

Well if that’s the case ( and regarding the crowd I hope it is) do you think the turnstiles could open at 5:00pm so we don’t get a delayed start due to the crowd still entering the stadium.. Also I hope they print enough programmes as they allegedly sold out for the Kent meeting which was not a massive crowd 

I'm sure your comments have been noted Keith and I noticed that the turnstiles opened about 20 minutes earlier for the Edinburgh meeting strangley enough so it shouldn't be a problem... and yep the Kent one is a collector's item...350 programmes I believe and all sold out... 500 for the previous meeting and nearly 250 left on the shelf... makes ya wonder...

Regards 

THJ  

• Like 2

It’s a tough one, as much as you want a sell out crowd for Granty and all the effort he has put in.

We are always grateful of fans from other teams coming but if it is packed out from fans who haven’t been for 10-40 years or whatever.. that will be a joke! If they haven’t got a good reason of why they haven’t attended for a long number of years and then turn up for this one, what’s the point? 
People not coming through the turnstiles is the reason we are closing down :angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2