British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Crusader

17/09/21 1930 Armadale v Kent

14 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Would love to hear how you would have planned the fixtures for the Kent Royals ?  Or would you not have had the Royals in your plans at all ?  Sensible, but the club

would not have produced Jake Mulford, and now, Vinnie Foord.  But I suppose both of these kids would have waited for 2022 ?  Oh, yes, and Spooner has suddenly

taken a turn for the better too. Or maybe you hadn't noticed.  Oh, I forgot Danny Gilkes. Where did he spring from ?

Can't argue that Kent gave Mulford a chance with little previous speedway pedigree but the rest are probably being held back by the NL at Kent this year. Foord has started erraticly and included in the Royals but no more development by them than that. Gilkes did all the work before joining Kent and would have been a success anywhere, Spooner should have had a big year but got frozen out by the points limit and fitness problems.  

If Kent want to claim / trumpet a rider of "thier own" it should be Clouting but sadly his progress is stalling.

Get behind any team you like but when it comes to rider development its themselves and the families that have a right to claim thier development and very rarely others.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Can't argue that Kent gave Mulford a chance with little previous speedway pedigree but the rest are probably being held back by the NL at Kent this year. Foord has started erraticly and included in the Royals but no more development by them than that. Gilkes did all the work before joining Kent and would have been a success anywhere, Spooner should have had a big year but got frozen out by the points limit and fitness problems.  

If Kent want to claim / trumpet a rider of "thier own" it should be Clouting but sadly his progress is stalling.

Get behind any team you like but when it comes to rider development its themselves and the families that have a right to claim thier development and very rarely others.

Sings is quite right when he says that it is the families of riders who are to be congratulated.  However I have only ever seen Kent mention how grateful they are to have such 

a crop of potentially good young riders, never claiming, so far as I have seen, that they are responsible for their development. Personally I think that the policies followed by Kent

seem to uncover fresh talent.  Gilkes and Mulford are excellent examples.  Even Kings critic Sings must agree with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Sings is quite right when he says that it is the families of riders who are to be congratulated.  However I have only ever seen Kent mention how grateful they are to have such 

a crop of potentially good young riders, never claiming, so far as I have seen, that they are responsible for their development. Personally I think that the policies followed by Kent

seem to uncover fresh talent.  Gilkes and Mulford are excellent examples.  Even Kings critic Sings must agree with that.

Nothing wrong with the policy at all and the help and support given to riders (especially in the past) by Kent is league rivalling. Kent is more of a trick track than many give credit which can boost some riders who get to grips with it. The likes of Gilkes would have succeeded at most places but raw riders who turned into gems like Mulford, Spooner, Thomas and beautiful Danny Ayres can certainly be considered development success.

• Like 1