British Speedway Forum
Endeavour

Edinburgh Play Offs

11 hours ago, King Jamie said:

It would be nothing short of farce and a major embarrassment for speedway if Edinburgh were to win the league this season.

I know we must all bow down to the insane American obsession of back door winners and second chances aplenty but any team finishing a distant fifth during the qualifying campaign shouldn't even be given the opportunity to plunge yet another dagger into the heart of a once beautiful sport.

I would never use such dramatic language as KJ but basically I agree with his sentiments - Playoffs stink. I yearn for the days when the league was the league - Poole winners - and the Playoffs were the Young Shield.

It's not just an American obsession of course - English club Rugby is the same.

Almost always in speedway it has been the league winners who have taken the title eventually, in the second tier anyway, though I regret I don't think that will be the case this year.

Edinburgh have done their bit to keep things neat - three Playoff finals, won the two when we were top of the league, lost by 3 points in the year when we came 4th. I am sure we will comply again.

16 minutes ago, Al Stewart said:

I would never use such dramatic language as KJ but basically I agree with his sentiments - Playoffs stink. I yearn for the days when the league was the league - Poole winners - and the Playoffs were the Young Shield.

Almost always in speedway it has been the league winners who have taken the title eventually, in the second tier anyway, though I regret I don't think that will be the case this year.

Edinburgh have done their bit to keep things neat - three Playoff finals, won the two when we were top of the league, lost by 3 points in the year when we came 4th. I am sure we will comply again.

Completely agree. 2011 we had been best team throughout the season but if play offs had been in place then due to injuries wouldn't have won.  Most likely Newport would have as changed virtually full team and also given spanking gave us in the cup.

All for play off tournament but the league leaders should be league winners

• Like 1

12 hours ago, King Jamie said:

It would be nothing short of farce and a major embarrassment for speedway if Edinburgh were to win the league this season.

I know we must all bow down to the insane American obsession of back door winners and second chances aplenty but any team finishing a distant fifth during the qualifying campaign shouldn't even be given the opportunity to plunge yet another dagger into the heart of a once beautiful sport.

Agree to a certain extent. Shame if a team tops league then doesn’t win play offs.If they wish to have play offs perhaps top 4. But if my team are riding I will support them.

7 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

Young Shield was contested between 5th-8th along side the playoffs!

2 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Young Shield was contested between 5th-8th along side the playoffs!

Not originally. When it was first run it was the only playoffs and it was the leading teams. EG in 2001 Edinburgh knocked league champions Newcastle out of the Playoffs and lost to Isle of Wight in the final.

Edited by Al Stewart
Added something.

21 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Anyone know how often you can use a guest reserve?

If it is home and away think it is okay to use the same rider. Think there is a time limit on using them at home consecutively but not sure the amount of days is? 

@NeilWatson

25 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Anyone know how often you can use a guest reserve?

No limit to number of times, but the usual 8-day rule prevents using him at the same track in successive weeks, l think.

Edited by crescent girl

Hope MPT is fit after his hand injury on Monday riding for Peterborough. If not it will have to be R/R which would disadvantage us.

37 minutes ago, slyfox said:

Hope MPT is fit after his hand injury on Monday riding for Peterborough. If not it will have to be R/R which would disadvantage us.

Two broken fingers and has had an operation on them. Hoping to give it a go Monday. Yes, I think R/R, means game over.

Edited by sidewinder

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Two broken fingers and has had an operation on them. Hoping to give it a go Monday. Yes, I think R/R, means game over.

Sad to hear that. Best wishes MPT.

• Like 1

With Armadale (and others) possibly be facing a log-jam of fixtures in October, we should remember that -- while the rule-book states a season should end on October 31st, it also offers the caveat of meetings being held after that date with specific written permission of the SCB.

Given the unprecedented circumstances governing 2021, it is surely the case that permission would be granted to allow final fixtures to run into the first week of November.

1 minute ago, crescent girl said:

With Armadale (and others) possibly be facing a log-jam of fixtures in October, we should remember that -- while the rule-book states a season should end on October 31st, it also offers the caveat of meetings being held after that date with specific written permission of the SCB.

Given the unprecedented circumstances governing 2021, it is surely the case that permission would be granted to allow final fixtures to run into the first week of November.

Agree about fixture congestion going into October but running in November no way , it’s bad enough in October standing around in the cold and rain.

Next season needs to run between April and September .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

If needs must agree. We are riding tonight in a Q/F that was originally ditched at a few days notice by the home promotion  a couple of months ago.Not Edinburgh’s fault. Glasgow have been patiently waiting for their S/F opponents. 2 clubs who have had their fixtures hindered by another club.

37 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

If needs must agree. We are riding tonight in a Q/F that was originally ditched at a few days notice by the home promotion  a couple of months ago.Not Edinburgh’s fault. Glasgow have been patiently waiting for their S/F opponents. 2 clubs who have had their fixtures hindered by another club.

..... and Scunthorpe have been (now guaranteed) patiently waiting 3 weeks for their play off opponents as the original cut off date for the play offs(16th Sept) was extended by 10 days to the 26th.