British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tonyd

Nora Motorsport affiliation.

In terms of the success of Barry Bishop and Co at the Isle of White this year with keeping the track open, successful crowds, good access to riders, track, stadium and pits by the crowd along with well presented meetings with lots of races / action for your money I just wonder if other promoters / tracks could be thinking at affiliating themselves to NORA motorsport as well?

With the loss of Eastbourne this year already, Newcastle possibly next year and Somerset a non starter this year along with possibly more to follow next year could it be worth the while of some teams maybe joining the Warriors shale track racing club at NORA motorsport and maybe having a bit more of a free hand in promoting and presenting a meeting than they do now.

Who knows if even six or seven tracks moved across there would be the making of a possible start to league racing.

Just a thought but it could be the start of the breakaway people are always talking about.

Edited by tonyd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

It would be a perfect opportunity for a new promotion at Oxford. Lower costs, control over the way to run meetings and a chance to gauge crowd attendance.

It would make more sense than being tied into the BSPL without voting rights.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MARK246 said:

It would be a perfect opportunity for a new promotion at Oxford. Lower costs, control over the way to run meetings and a chance to gauge crowd attendance.

It would make more sense than being tied into the BSPL without voting rights.

Absolutely.

My opinion is mixed. The Nora product is excellent at allowing many classes of competition & it can have a very fluid programme depending on how many turn up for each class.

The problem with the possibility of more venues using this same idea is the chance that riders will have a favoured track & will not attend events at other venues. Then bigger prize money will be offered & we're back where we started.

The team on the island have done well this year & I hope it continues for them as it gives those that just want a chance to race to have a go without the commitment of being part of a team & be expected to travel from Kent to Devon then up to Scotland stopping at East Anglia on the way home to have 3 rides at each & still hold down a full time job

• Like 1

Maybe a bit of competition is something the BSPL need to improve their game

• Like 1

the Provincial league started in 1960 as far as I remember. A black league not associated with the BSPA.

eventually at the end of 1964, the British league was formed involving the former Black PL and the National League (BSPA)

I applaud the  iow for providing Speedway in 2021.

There is room for both…. The BSPL should let others run unhindered and hope that Speedway progresses as quickly as possible

15 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

0Nora licensing only works for amateur events. If the National Development League did what it ought, and returned to amateur status, then that whole league could run under Nora 92.

In my view, this is something that could work at Eastbourne, Newcastle and Birmingham, though maybe not under the current promoters.

It is also my view that BSPL would then be mad to threaten those riders riding in a Nora 92 NDL with exclusion, as has happened this year, as they’d then struggle with rider shortages. 

I suppose it depends on how you define 'amateur'. Some might say it is not being paid, others might suggest it is being paid but not sufficiently to make a living from it. I don't know for sure but suspect that Isle of Wight will have paid riders for competing this season (albeit very much within the grounds of what they can afford), suggesting that NORA works for the latter.

Coming under the NORA umbrella will mean that the NDL can make their own decisions. Based upon the events of this season, we know only too well that the BSPL will force regulations on the that league solely for the benefit of the higher two leagues, without consulting NDL clubs and without regard of how those regulations might detrimentally affect them (and there is no guarantee that they won't do it again). Being allowed to completely control your own destiny without such selfish interference must surely be a more attractive proposition both to existing and potential NDL promotions than being dictated to by those who don't even have any financial stake in the NDL. 

Decisions could be made by member clubs regarding all aspects of speedway at development level and for the benefit of riders and the clubs themselves, very much taking into account the differences that operate at that level. There would need to be someone to adjudicate on the disputes that would inevitably arise, but that person would be entirely independent (in sharp contrast to the crooked, prejudiced and inconsistent system operated by the BSPL) from any team. That person would need to be familiar with speedway, have a strong sense of integrity and be able to command respect.

Someone like you, perhaps ?:unsure:

Any attempt to ban riders - publicly or privately, individually or collectively - would be contrary to case law relating to restraint of trade and therefore illegal and could be subject to court redress, either from the riders themselves or any business that might be affected by it. 

On a final note, I suspect that if this did happen, some might put them blame squarely on the south coast. In my view, they would be far better placed pointing their fingers much farther north.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KIRKYLANE said:

the Provincial league started in 1960 as far as I remember. A black league not associated with the BSPA.

eventually at the end of 1964, the British league was formed involving the former Black PL and the National League (BSPA)

I applaud the  iow for providing Speedway in 2021.

There is room for both…. The BSPL should let others run unhindered and hope that Speedway progresses as quickly as possible

Although there was some hostility to the "young upstarts" the PL was founded under the umbrella of the SCB and ACU in 1960. It only went "black" after the winter of 63/64 dispute over the enforced promotion of Wolves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Although there was some hostility to the "young upstarts" the PL was founded under the umbrella of the SCB and ACU in 1960. It only went "black" after the winter of 63/64 dispute over the enforced promotion of Wolves.

I knew it was black when I started Speedway… assumed it had always been black

And it took a ‘totally’ independent report by Lord Shawcross in 1964 to bang promoters heads together and bring about the amalgamation of the leagues producing the British league in 1965.

It would certainly be nice to see a Nora league in operation next year. Run alongside other host events that suit the individual tracks and with a format that benefits all involved. Hypothetically IOW, Oxford, Eastbourne, Buxton, Mildenhall and Redcar? Could even be the return of a few "ghost" teams like Cradley or Reading. It doesn't have to be too over the top serious but about providing good honest balanced racing and entertainment whilst offering track time to riders who benefit from it. 

Im not picking on any teams listed or releasing any details as i know of nothing confirmed just using examples. It could even be run alongside the BSPL rather than directly in competition as i know of no reason why events from two governing bodies cannot run at the same venue as they have already done at Scunthorpe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

It would certainly be nice to see a Nora league in operation next year. Run alongside other host events that suit the individual tracks and with a format that benefits all involved. Hypothetically IOW, Oxford, Eastbourne, Buxton, Mildenhall and Redcar? Could even be the return of a few "ghost" teams like Cradley or Reading. It doesn't have to be too over the top serious but about providing good honest balanced racing and entertainment whilst offering track time to riders who benefit from it. 

Im not picking on any teams listed or releasing any details as i know of nothing confirmed just using examples. It could even be run alongside the BSPL rather than directly in competition as i know of no reason why events from two governing bodies cannot run at the same venue as they have already done at Scunthorpe.

Why would the likes of Redcar want to join Nora when they already successfully stage speedway at championship and amateur level plus , practice sessions, dirt track, flat track, private hire, hire bikes , trikes, and anything else that cares to utilise a speedway track?

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Why would the likes of Redcar want to join Nora when they already successfully stage speedway at championship and amateur level plus , practice sessions, dirt track, flat track, private hire, hire bikes , trikes, and anything else that cares to utilise a speedway track?

Another string to their bow? :unsure:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In fairness the following could all run in a Nora league as all thee tracks are available or can be hired . IOW, Lydd, Iwade , Scunthorpe, Redcarr , Kings Lynn ,Leicester then there is the potential of Oxford Workington Buxton and Mildenhall . All it needs is people to put there necks out to hire the tracks and then promote it to a paying public. Could be of National league standard to what ever limit you want or run like the German teams cup which is done I believe on a 4tt format but they do include 250s as 5th rider. Could be run like Barry runs the Iow for all those who want a break away league you just have to get up and get on it's there if you want it. 
as I see it it once in a blue moon opportunity for it to happen but don't see it happening as there are not enough people who will do what Barry and Martin do to make there product work. To many will sit and moan instead of trying it

• Like 3