British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tosh1218

Speedway shambles

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Not strictly true -- he could guest for any of your top three..........

True.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, montie said:

But what is the alternative to Guests and RR in this situation?

5 or 6 man teams, which then reduced the number of riders unavailable and missing every week

RR isn’t too bad but guests are a mockery

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Absolutely. Been very impressed with him this season. Definitely far better than his old man ha. System has helped flint and Palin in particular but I'm not sure the old system would exactly have held them back

Agreed....you've either got it, or you haven't ! :t:

On 9/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, Skidder1 said:

f it is to be one league next year and if BSPL retain their 'Rising Stars' plan then every team will have 2 Rising Stars and 5 'senior' riders which imo would have to make the standard closer to this season's Championship strength!

IF there are 15* teams to make up your "one big league" then you'll need to find 30 "rising stars". Honestly...are there enough riders out there deserving of that accolade?  Sorting out the 75 "senior" riders will be interesting too. 

With all but 6 or 7 riders doubling up/down between the leagues, the standards are more or less the same now anyway.

* - assuming the 2021 compliment of teams less Birmingham & Newcastle. Can't honestly see Eastbourne or Swindon returning either (and where would they get their riders from if they were to return?)

13 hours ago, uk_martin said:

IF there are 15* teams to make up your "one big league" then you'll need to find 30 "rising stars". Honestly...are there enough riders out there deserving of that accolade?  Sorting out the 75 "senior" riders will be interesting too. 

With all but 6 or 7 riders doubling up/down between the leagues, the standards are more or less the same now anyway.

* - assuming the 2021 compliment of teams less Birmingham & Newcastle. Can't honestly see Eastbourne or Swindon returning either (and where would they get their riders from if they were to return?)

Well at least 3 of those now look more positive then negative to run in 2022 so maybe enough for 2 leagues still or at least a 7 or 8 team Premiership?!

On 9/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, montie said:

But what is the alternative to Guests and RR in this situation?

Ben Hopwood comin back next season will solve everything! :rofl:

Oh I am naughty but I like me! :rofl:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

3 of those now look more positive then negative to run in 2022

Great! Has anyone worked out where they are going to get their riders from? The continent? Cue more absences, RR, Guests and more of the same old same old. Bear in mind that at the height of this season, there were only 137 riders licensed / registered to ride in the UK. One big league will mean no doubling up/down so those riders are going to be spread very thinly.

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Great! Has anyone worked out where they are going to get their riders from? The continent? Cue more absences, RR, Guests and more of the same old same old. Bear in mind that at the height of this season, there were only 137 riders licensed / registered to ride in the UK. One big league will mean no doubling up/down so those riders are going to be spread very thinly.

Cut the teams down to 5 per team &  have one league

I heard on Glasgow stream last night Michael Max was part of a committee who have put forward a proposal for the future of British speedway which is due to be heard and discussed on Tuesday at a promoters meeting. 

Interesting to see what proposals are

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I heard on Glasgow stream last night Michael Max was part of a committee who have put forward a proposal for the future of British speedway which is due to be heard and discussed on Tuesday at a promoters meeting. 

Interesting to see what proposals are

Any ideas who else was on it Jaizer?

Don’t fancy a big league with North / South divide.

3 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Any ideas who else was on it Jaizer?

Don’t fancy a big league with North / South divide.

Na no idea. There's knowledgeable guys like Michael involved with every club so you would like to think some like minded folk.

But as he said getting unanimous backing is highly unlikely as everyone is pushing their own agenda. Still good to know the powers that be know the status quo can't be maintained

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Cut the teams down to 5 per team &  have one league

Same riders in every other race not for me. very hard decisions ahead i think 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Same riders in every other race not for me. very hard decisions ahead i think 

6 and one league

Could they make it 5 rider teams but every match has 3/4 teams? Potentially more away fans at every match? Think we have to admit no longer a major speedway nation and follow what I believe they do in Germany and Czech Republic

• Like 2

Thought I read somewhere that the “top” riders need to ride in both leagues to make ends meet ....so even if there are enough riders how many meetings per season will one big league allow given they start in late March and they have to finish by mid September for the p. Offs. 6 riders per team assume we stick with 15 heats gives everyone 5 rides. With 2 rising/falling stars per side that’s one third of the meeting of NDL standard. Value £ 15 a meeting ?