British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Newcastle

BIRMINGHAM: Chris Harris, Valentin Grobauer, James Shanes, Ashley Morris, Erik Riss, Paco Castagna, Jack Thomas.

NEWCASTLE: Ben Barker, Matt Wethers R/R, James Wright, Max Clegg, Connor Mountain, Archie Freeman, Adam Roynon.

Surely B'ham too strong for Newcastle ? (14/16 points win...) however, be great to see Adam riding and Barker and Mountain go well at PB!

It's not really unexpected to be honest with all that's gone on.  Sad day hope its not one more club gone. 

Sad but not unexpected.

The Masons have done far more for Birmingham Speedway that was good and positive than many give them credit for and I wish them the very best of luck and hopefully they aren't totally lost to the Sport. Their physical and mental well-being is more important.

There is hopefully someone in the wings who may be able to take it on but I fear that the relatively new Stadium Manager has engineered what he wanted and  shame on him and ARC for their complete lack of support of Speedway in the recent past. That was not always the case under previous Stadium Management.

I don't think it's a big surprise that 2 dog tracks from same Company (Newcastle and us) are in the situation we are, not a surprise that relatively new Promotions who have moved up to CL (Brummies and Eastbourne in 2019) and Newcastle (new Promo for 2020/2021) have suffered from big set up costs and possibly a step too far for all three who had to build initially quite quickly.

Hopefully all 3 will return with new Promotions in the future.

My own personal view is that with the Commonwealth Games surrounding the area for 2022 and causing a massive security ring to be set up for possibly a few months before, that it may be best for Brummies to have a year out and possibly come back in 2023 with a fresh impetus after the fun and games likely next Summer just up the Road and around the City in general. Certainly media focus on going to be on Games for most of 2022 in addition to soccer and cricket. The whole area is lets face it going to be a gridlocked nightmare!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

Sad but not unexpected.

The Masons have done far more for Birmingham Speedway that was good and positive than many give them credit for and I wish them the very best of luck and hopefully they aren't totally lost to the Sport. Their physical and mental well-being is more important.

There is hopefully someone in the wings who may be able to take it on but I fear that the relatively new Stadium Manager has engineered what he wanted and  shame on him and ARC for their complete lack of support of Speedway in the recent past. That was not always the case under previous Stadium Management.

I don't think it's a big surprise that 2 dog tracks from same Company (Newcastle and us) are in the situation we are, not a surprise that relatively new Promotions who have moved up to CL (Brummies and Eastbourne in 2019) and Newcastle (new Promo for 2020/2021) have suffered from big set up costs and possibly a step too far for all three who had to build initially quite quickly.

My own personal view is that with the Commonwealth Games surrounding the area for 2022 and causing a massive security ring to be set up for possibly a few months before, that it may be best for Brummies to have a year out and possibly come back in 2023 with a fresh impetus after the fun and games likely next Summer just up the Road and around the City in general. Certainly media focus on going to be on Games for most of 2022 in addition to soccer and cricket. The whole area is lets face it going to be a gridlocked nightmare!

What as the new stadium manager got to do with this? Please explain? Think you need to look a lot closer to home. 

31 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

What as the new stadium manager got to do with this? Please explain? Think you need to look a lot closer to home. 

Things like taking bottled water off supporters in a queue to get in baking hot night to ensure they bought his bottled water at inflated prices that was of no cash benefit to speedway.

Generally bad attitude towards supporters from Stadium staff, obviously even more restricted access to Track Staff and Track team.

I'm not sure that the Masons could have done any more in the circumstances.

• Like 3

HGould is right, the new stadium management have made life really difficult, especially on race day. Usually petty things that have caused major headaches for the promotion. 

The issue with the track was well documented but the stadium management had a hand in that regarding when access was available, and with limited but loyal helpers were doing jobs that the stadium should have been doing just to get a meeting on. Its not making excuses but that was the reality and things changed every week for no good reason. 

I feel for the Masons and for their own sanity it's probably the correct decision for them. 

This news doesn't come as any great surprise if Im honest but it's very sad. Hopefully someone can come in but I'm not very optimistic. Even if they do, I'm concerned that the stadium owners don't want speedway there. The lack of time allowed on the track plus in my opinion the harsh approach with the food and drink policy. I mean confiscating bottles of water on boiling hot days is never a good look, a bit of common sense should have been applied there 

The Masons have done good and bad things of course but the council have alot to answer for. The disgrace of the road situation in the area has surelt had an impact at least if we do run next year that should be much better. Then the limitations of walk ins being allowed plus numbers due to covud regulations. You only have to look at their treatment of Birmingham Wheels, that sadly looks like it's gonna close. 

The vandalism at the start of the season had such a big impact, and questions need to be asked asked about the security of the stadium. 

Fingers Crossed we can be saved

• Like 3

With the "Athletes Village" over the road nearing completion, I'm wondering if Brum Speedway could suffer the way other venues have when new residents move into earshot of a Motorsports event. It would be such a shame after all the hard work done by Tony Mole and his team a few years ago regarding the noise issues. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Commonwealth Games only runs for 11 days so if that's correct then hopefully there will be minimal disruption 

As far as I've been told the track is available on Sun, Tues, Wed, got to agree about the food and drink that is bad. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Sad but not unexpected.

Hopefully Kent don't suffer the same fate. ARC have only just taken ownership at Central Park. Who knows what their attitude will be to speedway next year.