British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Newcastle

28 minutes ago, Col said:

Every meeting I've attended I've brought a bottle of water with me, never been questioned so wonder when that occurred.

Prices in the stadium are disgraceful, but it is the same at all sports events.

I always try to take my own water, (previously pre-chilled),,, but once the label on the bottle comes off, I replace it with another one. Its not based on being thrifty, it's more about the 3 R's (reduce, re-use, recycle),,, I don't do the, just chuck it over the fence thing, it just means someone else has to clear up you're sh!t, :nono:

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Newcastle making point with Barker? No TS or heat 15 ride?

Diplomacy?

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

Diplomacy?

Could be. Just thought was odd but then nothing riding on it. 

18 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Could be. Just thought was odd but then nothing riding on it. 

Suppose with nothing riding on it,,, could be a good time to try out new ideas?

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Suppose with nothing riding on it,,, could be a good time to try out new ideas?

Definitely. Fingers crossed both teams make it to tapes in some form next season

• Like 1

Well if that was the final outing for the Diamonds and the final league meeting at Perry Barr it was as forgettable as it was historic.

Dusty from heat 1. Newcastle generally subdued with the exception for Barker. Heat 5, what I could see through the dust looked a cracker.

Harris seemed to have an extra 50cc to everyone else, didn't matter if the gated, didn't need to. Smart first corners and riding the fence.

Roynon winning heat 14 made me smile, allot of water under the bridge, broken bones & years have passed since he was a Brummie. But for injuries he'd have broken the PB track record that year many times easily and been so entertaining in the process.

Still not sure how Brummies didn't score 60.

The awarded heat was a dreadful decision. Shanes was up Wright's exhaust and Roynon was up Shanes' when Thomas fell.

14 hours ago, HGould said:

Sad but not unexpected.

The Masons have done far more for Birmingham Speedway that was good and positive than many give them credit for and I wish them the very best of luck and hopefully they aren't totally lost to the Sport. Their physical and mental well-being is more important.

There is hopefully someone in the wings who may be able to take it on but I fear that the relatively new Stadium Manager has engineered what he wanted and  shame on him and ARC for their complete lack of support of Speedway in the recent past. That was not always the case under previous Stadium Management.

I don't think it's a big surprise that 2 dog tracks from same Company (Newcastle and us) are in the situation we are, not a surprise that relatively new Promotions who have moved up to CL (Brummies and Eastbourne in 2019) and Newcastle (new Promo for 2020/2021) have suffered from big set up costs and possibly a step too far for all three who had to build initially quite quickly.

Hopefully all 3 will return with new Promotions in the future.

My own personal view is that with the Commonwealth Games surrounding the area for 2022 and causing a massive security ring to be set up for possibly a few months before, that it may be best for Brummies to have a year out and possibly come back in 2023 with a fresh impetus after the fun and games likely next Summer just up the Road and around the City in general. Certainly media focus on going to be on Games for most of 2022 in addition to soccer and cricket. The whole area is lets face it going to be a gridlocked nightmare!

think you will find that there is a good working relationship now after a rocky start. The Commonwealth games if you look at the timetable only involves a few events at the revamped stadium with events spread over the Midlands and none are scheduled for a Wednesday night .

• Like 1

If it is to be the end, wasn't there something in the original planning application / approval that the speedway track had to be removed and replaced with turf so the centre green of the greyhound track looked how it was in 2006? this may have been time limited so may not currently apply 

Edited by Pirio Barre
the standard typo do it every time

It wouldn't surprise me if the 'Masons' don't show up as Eastbourne's saviour next season?

I certainly wish them well whatever their path.

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the 'Masons' don't show up as Eastbourne's saviour next season?

Your not the first to suggest that. May need some money back from the sale( if any) of birmingham first.

The mental and health issues they sounded out won’t change by moving to Eastbourne. Either way I wish them well, at least they tried.

16 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

think you will find that there is a good working relationship now after a rocky start. The Commonwealth games if you look at the timetable only involves a few events at the revamped stadium with events spread over the Midlands and none are scheduled for a Wednesday night .

Midlands :) The track cycling is in bloody East London! Allot of the events at Birmingham Uni.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, GiveusaB said:

I very much doubt that unfortunately, agree with wishing them well..