British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2022

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

The local councillor (Green Party) is fully up to speed with developments at The Showground, I have had many conversations with her on this subject. She is adamant that the future of the Speedway Club must be assured, either at its existing location or elsewhere and that this must be a part of any development plans, I also understand the full council generally also supports this. She attended a fixture last year at The Showground for the first time and loved it. Additionally I understand the plan for 1600 houses is merely bluster, and has no chance of progressing as the infrastructure of roads, schools and health services could not currently support such a development. In short, she is on the case and will vehemently fight the Panthers corner.

I should also add that I have put Buster in touch with the councillor and I believe they have spoken.

Maybe a conversation needs to be had with the excellent councillor Swindon had who promised housing development wouldn't effect the Robins racing. 

That's gone well hasn't it. 

If you trust these people, more fool you

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Maybe a conversation needs to be had with the excellent councillor Swindon had who promised housing development wouldn't effect the Robins racing. 

That's gone well hasn't it. 

If you trust these people, more fool you

Swindon is a special kind of cock up and it was pretty clear where that would end up.

We've had 20 years of this and the council and it's officials have generally been supportive over the years and we're still here. Yes it's getting tricky now but I think I’d rather have the support of a councillor who has consistently backed the club and lives less than 400 metres from the fourth bend, rather than not. As Ged Rathbone proved, who can you trust?

13 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Swindon is a special kind of cock up and it was pretty clear where that would end up.

We've had 20 years of this and the council and it's officials have generally been supportive over the years and we're still here. Yes it's getting tricky now but I think I’d rather have the support of a councillor who has consistently backed the club and lives less than 400 metres from the fourth bend, rather than not. As Ged Rathbone proved, who can you trust?

That's the thing, like Swindon, when house building gets closer & closer it get harder & harder to keep Speedway open. 

Also like Coventry, anyone can promise a new plot for Speedway to gain approval for housing. 

If the housing gets approved, Peterborough Panthers will be no more

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

That's the thing, like Swindon, when house building gets closer & closer it get harder & harder to keep Speedway open. 

Also like Coventry, anyone can promise a new plot for Speedway to gain approval for housing. 

If the housing gets approved, Peterborough Panthers will be no more

650 homes have already been written in to Policy LP36: East of England Showground so Panthers at their current location where technically no more when that was agreed. The latest article is just the developers wanting more houses etc although it's already been tried and dismissed was the point the councillor was making.

The real issues for Peterborough Speedway are: "The loss of any existing leisure and sports facilities will not be supported unless replacement facilities are provided in accordance with policy LP30" which says:

Existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facilities
The loss, via redevelopment, of an existing culture, leisure, tourism or community facility will only
be permitted if it is demonstrated that: (and this is the bit where PCC & local councillor support will be crucial)

k. The facility is demonstrably no longer fit for purpose and the site is not viable to be
redeveloped for a new community facility; or
l. The service provided by the facility is met by alternative provision that exists within
reasonable proximity: what is deemed as reasonable proximity will depend on the nature
of the facility and its associated catchment area; or
m. The proposal includes the provision of a new facility of a similar nature and of a similar or
greater size in a suitable on or off-site location.

Timescale & actual work being the other issue: “We are hoping that development work will get under way in during 2023/2024.”

As the club says in the ET today, it's business as usual for 2022, negotiations are and will be ongoing, we all know about timescales as well. Yes they may stick to it but these things can drag on and on.

Edited by Crump99

As soon as they start building the new homes (with whatever promises are necessary to satisfy  "LP30") Peterborough Speedway is dead. 

Swindon is an example.

Promises cost nothing. Once housing is in place , nobody will allow a noisy speedway track to be relocated anywhere near ......

19 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

As soon as they start building the new homes (with whatever promises are necessary to satisfy  "LP30") Peterborough Speedway is dead. 

Swindon is an example.

Promises cost nothing. Once housing is in place , nobody will allow a noisy speedway track to be relocated anywhere near ......

So a topic for the Peterborough 2023 thread then.

38 minutes ago, gazzac said:

So a topic for the Peterborough 2023 thread then.

It will be in time but not even Flappy is that keen so 2022 will do for the time being.

9 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It will be in time but not even Flappy is that keen so 2022 will do for the time being.

Just have to make the most of this season is really what I was thinking of, try and forget about the possibility of what could happen next year, easier said than done though. 

The obvious answer is for   track to be guaranteed or provided before planning permission granted . I see no enthusiasm for Speedway in the platitudes issued from prospective developers. Greed and avarice  is forever the driving factor.. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

Just have to make the most of this season is really what I was thinking of, try and forget about the possibility of what could happen next year, easier said than done though. 

There lies the problem with Speedway. Pushing it to the back of you mind for the next winter will prove to be to late. 

There needs to be written, tight, legal paperwork of promise & contracts for rebuild on future grounds for Speedway. 

Without this, any reference to a regulation means nothing without land registered & planning permission granted for a new stadium. 

Words coming out the mouth of a Councillor should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

People within Speedway & it's fans never learn, just believing "we'll never close for good". 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wealdstone said:

The obvious answer is for   track to be guaranteed or provided before planning permission granted . I see no enthusiasm for Speedway in the platitudes issued from prospective developers. Greed and avarice  is forever the driving factor.. 

That's virtually what the local plan says though and that being stuck to has little to do with the developers from what I can see. It's for PCC to enforce what they've agreed and not buckle. LP30 is a bit vague though really so that would be a concern

Edited by Crump99

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

That's fair enough. Enjoy 2022. What happens will happen so worrying about it isn't going to change anything.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crump99 said:

That's fair enough. Enjoy 2022. What happens will happen so worrying about it isn't going to change anything.

May need to save these words so that 12 mths from now the only edit required is a 3 for a 2 and then so on hopefully

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, Mick Bratley said:

The local councillor (Green Party) is fully up to speed with developments at The Showground, I have had many conversations with her on this subject. She is adamant that the future of the Speedway Club must be assured, either at its existing location or elsewhere and that this must be a part of any development plans, I also understand the full council generally also supports this. She attended a fixture last year at The Showground for the first time and loved it. Additionally I understand the plan for 1600 houses is merely bluster, and has no chance of progressing as the infrastructure of roads, schools and health services could not currently support such a development. In short, she is on the case and will vehemently fight the Panthers corner.

I should also add that I have put Buster in touch with the councillor and I believe they have spoken.

A member of the green party looking out for the interests of motor sport wonders never cease!

• Haha 1

What Peterborough needs is a sporting village with the football club looking to move, athletics club likely to be moved, speedway track likely to be re-developed, ice rink falling down. There's a real opportunity here to do something positive and make a multi use venue with 3G pitches etc.  That could be used 365 days a year.

Funding naturally the biggest issue just feel there's something that can be done as I'm sure there's the will for it.

Edited by Flappy