Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Endeavour

Play off Q/F Edinburgh v Redcar Friday 1st and Sunday 3rd October

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Can’t pick them 

Are you sure, I thought Poole could pick any opponent? Edit: just read the rules, you are correct!

Edited by szkocjasid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paulco said:

I get that , but why couldn't the track ambulance not have took him to hospital before quarter to nine . It was a horror crash , so it was obvious James was hurt , so surely the ambulance could have took him to hospital much earlier . 

I believe they were told an ambulance would be with them in the next 15/20 minutes when they originally called for one. Then somewhere along the line was called elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Poole may decide to not run their meeting on Wednesday now which would then mean they could have the second leg of their semi which can happen if they dont pick Leicester. They could also decide to pick Glasgow if want to run this Wednesday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I get that , but why couldn't the track ambulance not have took him to hospital before quarter to nine . It was a horror crash , so it was obvious James was hurt , so surely the ambulance could have took him to hospital much earlier . 

Fair point. Only medical folk could answer that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Are you sure, I thought Poole could pick any opponent?

Can only pick one of the winners from the quarter finals and Glasgow get whoever they choose not to pick i believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speedway needs to open it's eyes and look for additional cover

I've ran events, we had a local ambulance on site plus a private "medical car" which came with two paramedics 

The private medics would perform pre event medicals for participants and also deal with any potential injuries during the event

If an injury required a trip to hospital but without the need for assistance the athlete would be accompanied by a volunteer 

If a more serious issue occurred (thankfully it never did) the ambulance could take the athlete while the event still had medical cover

Oh and there was also a doctor on sight as well.

Having one ambulance is doing it on the cheap, hoping for minimal risk and ultimately betraying the fans when it goes wrong 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eide67 said:

True, but maybe too expensive?

It was a horrendous crash - best wishes to Sarj.

Don't know where this leaves the semi-final at Poole on Wednesday.

Yes probably expensive but I would imagine having to abandon this one and reschedule on an off night will be a big financial hit. And the steaming revenue for Tuesday will possibly be lower. 

As said elsewhere maybe the Trust could have helped with the extra medic costs. 

At this stage of the season I would have thought the absolute priority would have been anything possible to avoid abandonments. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

How about they just throw Edinburgh out of the play offs?  

How many times does speedway shoot itself in the foot time after time, should have adequate medical cover at all meetings just like all other forms of motorsport but it's all about trying to run a professional sport on the cheap.

Hope the AGM discusses this plus track covers and the fact speedway shouldn't run into October anyway 

Berwick doesn't always have the best of teams but for the last 6 or 7 seasons they seem to have a couple of paramedics and an ambulance as well as the track ambulance. Sure it was mentioned that they have a first aid room as well.

Seen Redcar mention the cost earlier in the season also. Maybe the promoters should be told there has to be adequate cover for any semi final and all matches in the play offs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, flagrag said:

I wonder if Poole may decide to not run their meeting on Wednesday now which would then mean they could have the second leg of their semi which can happen if they dont pick Leicester. They could also decide to pick Glasgow if want to run this Wednesday 

Read the rules - they can't pick Glasgow.

Plus nothing to stop them picking the winners of Edinburgh v Redcar on Wednesday night, as it's highly likely that Tuesday will be last chance saloon to stage the quarter-final.

Edited by lucifer sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Speedway needs to open it's eyes and look for additional cover

I've ran events, we had a local ambulance on site plus a private "medical car" which came with two paramedics 

The private medics would perform pre event medicals for participants and also deal with any potential injuries during the event

If an injury required a trip to hospital but without the need for assistance the athlete would be accompanied by a volunteer 

If a more serious issue occurred (thankfully it never did) the ambulance could take the athlete while the event still had medical cover

Oh and there was also a doctor on sight as well.

Having one ambulance is doing it on the cheap, hoping for minimal risk and ultimately betraying the fans when it goes wrong 

 

It's like taking full insurance cover on a rental car.

It's all about money. I don't know the costs involved, but I'll estimate it to be around £500 saved per meeting. x 20 meetings a year, that's £10k saved. Chances of it affecting the meeting, pretty slim. If they find themselves in this situation once every three years, chances are that financially it's right just to go with one and take a hit when the worst does happen.

That's assuming they are actually able to find medical cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Paulco said:

I get that , but why couldn't the track ambulance not have took him to hospital before quarter to nine . It was a horror crash , so it was obvious James was hurt , so surely the ambulance could have took him to hospital much earlier . 

Agree, probably should've taken him straight away, especially given the current ambulance crisis. But still no guarantee it would've been back in time as ambulances often have to sit for hours outside A&E waiting to pass patients over to the hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

It's like taking full insurance cover on a rental car.

It's all about money. I don't know the costs involved, but I'll estimate it to be around £500 saved per meeting. x 20 meetings a year, that's £10k saved. Chances of it affecting the meeting, pretty slim. If they find themselves in this situation once every three years, chances are that financially it's right just to go with one and take a hit when the worst does happen.

That's assuming they are actually able to find medical cover.

I understand we tried to arrange a second ambulance but there was not one available.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Fair point. Only medical folk could answer that one.

Indeed.

Truly dreadful incident with Sarj hitting the air fence( thank goodness) at high speed. Hope he makes a full recovery. 
Now my frustration would be the delay….

With a knee dislocation, the extent and nature of such an injury would be quickly obvious. He would need quickly assessed for bleeding and shock and transferred with haste to hospital. NHS ambulances do not respond quickly ( a blue light during the day can take an hour or longer) and response times when there is medical back up on site likely to be much longer. 
Therefore a trip to hospital was justified, by the quickest means. That would have been appropriate and understood by the crowd. Waiting for an hour made no sense. 
 

With speedway it seems now easily cancelled with a racing incident of this sort, or any heavy rain shower near the start, it makes you wonder if it’s still worth attending. No wonder the sport is struggling to attract new fans. I hope all the Bears fans are refunded for their wasted trip…

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

How about they just throw Edinburgh out of the play offs?  

How many times does speedway shoot itself in the foot time after time, should have adequate medical cover at all meetings just like all other forms of motorsport but it's all about trying to run a professional sport on the cheap.

Hope the AGM discusses this plus track covers and the fact speedway shouldn't run into October anyway 

I don't profess, to know the answer to this. Do the paramedic ambulances, have the necessary clearance and  authority  to transfer people to hospital. Whenever I have seen this, an NHS ambulance has done the transfer. I just wonder if it may not be as straightforward, as people think. The trend is to shy away from responsibility, in this blame and claim society. Obviously some injuries are more serious than others. Again I would stress, I don't know, the regulations, that the paramedic companies work to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I don't profess, to know the answer to this. Do the paramedic ambulances, have the necessary clearance and  authority  to transfer people to hospital. Whenever I have seen this, an NHS ambulance has done the transfer. I just wonder if it may not be as straightforward, as people think. The trend is to shy away from responsibility, in this blame and claim society. Obviously some injuries are more serious than others. Again I would stress, I don't know, the regulations, that the paramedic companies work to.

Given the widely reported crisis in the NHS, including ambulance services , as a result of Covid, it appears you cannot rely on pre-Covid  levels of response times.

I would be very surprised if other non-NHS forms of patient transport would be prevented from delivering those requiring hospital treatment to A & E, where appropriate.

It was a paramedic ambulance that eventually ferried Sarj  for hospital treatment tonight.

 

 

 

 

Edited by cyclone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy