British Speedway Forum
Endeavour

Play off Q/F Edinburgh v Redcar Friday 1st and Sunday 3rd October

Sadly its a world wide problem as same in Aus with shortages and ramping at hospitals, at the end of the day the riders health has the be the priority but frustrating all the same.

All the best to Sarge.

Cheers Chopper

6 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

Speedway needs to open it's eyes and look for additional cover

I've ran events, we had a local ambulance on site plus a private "medical car" which came with two paramedics 

The private medics would perform pre event medicals for participants and also deal with any potential injuries during the event

If an injury required a trip to hospital but without the need for assistance the athlete would be accompanied by a volunteer 

If a more serious issue occurred (thankfully it never did) the ambulance could take the athlete while the event still had medical cover

Oh and there was also a doctor on sight as well.

Having one ambulance is doing it on the cheap, hoping for minimal risk and ultimately betraying the fans when it goes wrong 

I once spoke to former Plymouth promoter Ashley Taylor about this and he told me that when he took over the Devils opted for two ambulances at every meeting. It did cost more, but it was his belief that having just one was a false economy that could easily backfire.

I was at Plymouth the night that Ashley Birks was severely injured, and due to Plymouth's medical cover policy the meeting was delayed only for as long as it took to repair the fence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I once spoke to former Plymouth promoter Ashley Taylor about this and he told me that when he took over the Devils opted for two ambulances at every meeting. It did cost more, but it was his belief that having just one was a false economy that could easily backfire.

I was at Plymouth the night that Ashley Birks was severely injured, and due to Plymouth's medical cover policy the meeting was delayed only for as long as it took to repair the fence. 

Agree with this policy completely if possible to do so.

Incidents such as this happen somewhere pretty often and the impact of insufficient medical cover to allow meetings to continue quickly is detrimental to how the sport is perceived. It is also hugely frustrating and possibly ultimately off putting to fans who pay to see a meeting.

• Like 1

I think the point on having additional medical cover is a fair one however you can see the temptation as a promotion to save money on something that is needed relatively infrequently when the whole operation is run on a shoe string. 

On a positive note there were almost 180 people watching the stream on Friday which is pretty much double what we’ve had in recent weeks. Hopefully they all tune in again on Tuesday. 

Edited by JanAndersen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Read the rules - they can't pick Glasgow.

Plus nothing to stop them picking the winners of Edinburgh v Redcar on Wednesday night, as it's highly likely that Tuesday will be last chance saloon to stage the quarter-final.

The rules could be changed in the interest of speedway, so don't rule anything out

Will the third attempt at running this fixture be the first ever Tuesday night meeting at sunny Armadale? I'm struggling to think of another one.

Firstly hope James is OK. Secondly sympathies to both promotions and sets of fans. Also to the Poole and Glasgow promotions riders and fans who are sitting patiently wondering who they will be playing and when in the semis. It does make you wonder about the sense of having 6 teams in the play offs and as others have said trying to run important matches in October. 

• Like 3

UPDATE

It has been confirmed James Sarjeant has a small fracture to both his tibia and pelvis, as well as a deep gash to the back of his left leg

He is awaiting surgery today. We wish him a speedy recovery!

Bears now head back to Armadale on Tuesday 12th October at 7:30pm

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Heard tonight that the Fans Trust discussed at their last meeting funding a second ambulance for the remaining fixtures at Armadale.

can’t blame promotion for lack of NHS ambulance cover.

So they run a meeting in the hope that there are no injuries and that an ambulance can be summoned at the drop of a hat when there is a curfew? If I had been any of the speedway fans attending last night and would have had to have stood around for two hours to be told it was abandoned after one race because of the curfew,especially if I'd travelled all the way from Redcar,I think I would be just a tiny bit miffed and that would be the understatement of the year! When oh when is this sport going to be run more professionally in this country.if I'd have been a first timer last night then that would have been my one and only visit I'm afraid.enough said....

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I blame Edinburgh.

That’ll make a change :t:

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

So they run a meeting in the hope that there are no injuries and that an ambulance can be summoned at the drop of a hat when there is a curfew? If I had been any of the speedway fans attending last night and would have had to have stood around for two hours to be told it was abandoned after one race because of the curfew,especially if I'd travelled all the way from Redcar,I think I would be just a tiny bit miffed and that would be the understatement of the year! When oh when is this sport going to be run more professionally in this country.if I'd have been a first timer last night then that would have been my one and only visit I'm afraid.enough said....

Have to agree,and it’s not just Edinburgh who run this the same way.Lets be honest there are not many meetings where there is not a faller and Clubs are lucky to get away with this situation so often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

Like said elsewhere, the club had tried to book two ambulances last night unfortunately there was only one available.

Everything would’ve been fine last night as the second ambulance was due to arrive to collect James in 15/20 minutes which would’ve gave us plenty time to do the meeting, unfortunately the ambulance go told to go to another incident on route to the stadium which left us in the predicament that we were in last night. 

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Thanks 1