Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Play-off Q/F - Scunthorpe v Leicester - Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd October

5 hours ago, Gambo95 said:

There would be 3 options if it was me in charge.

Give Poole the title.

Have a final between Poole and Glasgow.

Have semi finals between Poole, Glasgow, Scunthorpe and Redcar (removing the teams who didn't race their home match). There should have been a cut off point of the weekend just passed for the quarter finals, next weekend for the semi finals to allow time for the final.

It should be the same in the KOC. Race Poole v Glasgow in the final (Glasgow won't have raced in the KOC since July).

4th option: Have semi finals between Poole Glasgow, Leicester and Edinburgh  - as the last two convincingly won their respective first legs by scores which will not be overturned in the eventually run second legs. so instead of wasting time running dead rubbers move on and use those days for meaningful semi finals. 

• Like 1

I don't think the riders would be very happy if you suddenly cancelled meetings that they were expecting to ride in and earn money from.

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

4th option: Have semi finals between Poole Glasgow, Leicester and Edinburgh  - as the last two convincingly won their respective first legs by scores which will not be overturned in the eventually run second legs. so instead of wasting time running dead rubbers move on and use those days for meaningful semi finals. 

I don't think Edinburgh expected to beat Redcar by such a margin, therefore the same could happen at Armadale! May be wishful thinking on my part but if an away win can happen one way, it can happen the other

22 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

I don't think Edinburgh expected to beat Redcar by such a margin, therefore the same could happen at Armadale! May be wishful thinking on my part but if an away win can happen one way, it can happen the other

Your right ,wishful thinking.:P

8 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Re KOC - Monarchs were due to race Brummies away in cup a few months ago. With a few days notice they cancelled that fixture. told Edinburgh they would be riding Leicester in league that week or racing nobody. So not Edinburgh’s fault re fixture pile up but you say we should go for a Poole Glasgow Final.

This is where having an outside body running the sport would be an advantage.

Teams don't say I'm not playing in the FA cup this week because I want to catch up with a league match.

Remember a few years ago when Ipswich waited for about 6 months (beginning of April to end of September) to race in the next round of the cup.

Should be cut off points through the season and if the tie isn't raced questions are asked and teams are thrown out the competition if there isn't a decent reason.

4 hours ago, 1 valve said:

It's Edinburgh and Leicester who are holding the competition up by not having raced the quarter final meetings.

As I said previously there should be cut off points set out for meetings. The cut off point should have remained as the 16th (think that's when it was) September.

For places in the playoffs the seeding should have been done by giving the away team 4 points in all matches not raced (BSPA work out and not put on the league table) before the cut off point. The meetings would then be raced after the cut off point and the playoffs etc could be run.

The league meetings could be run between rounds etc if there is spare dates and you would then not have league/ cups decided on the last couple of days of the season. COVID isn't the reason for the delay because the same thing happens every season (as various others have pointed out).

Poland had their final last week and Sweden have their finals this week so it can be done. Denmark was the previous week also.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Gambo95 said:

Teams don't say I'm not playing in the FA cup this week because I want to catch up with a league match.

Remember a few years ago when Ipswich waited for about 6 months (beginning of April to end of September) to race in the next round of the cup.

Should be cut off points through the season and if the tie isn't raced questions are asked and teams are thrown out the competition if there isn't a decent reason.

It's Edinburgh and Leicester who are holding the competition up by not having raced the quarter final meetings.

As I said previously there should be cut off points set out for meetings. The cut off point should have remained as the 16th (think that's when it was) September.

For places in the playoffs the seeding should have been done by giving the away team 4 points in all matches not raced (BSPA work out and not put on the league table) before the cut off point. The meetings would then be raced after the cut off point and the playoffs etc could be run.

The league meetings could be run between rounds etc if there is spare dates and you would then not have league/ cups decided on the last couple of days of the season. COVID isn't the reason for the delay because the same thing happens every season (as various others have pointed out).

Poland had their final last week and Sweden have their finals this week so it can be done. Denmark was the previous week also.

Edinburgh were in a top 6 position at the original cut off date. Not our fault cut off was extended to suit among others ……. Birmingham.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Edinburgh were in a top 6 position at the original cut off date. Not our fault cut off was extended to suit among others ……. Birmingham.

Yup. IMO only way Birmingham should've been granted late change of fixture was on proviso forfeited cup fixture.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gambo95 said:

No point blaming Clubs,they don’t run the sport.

43 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

No point blaming Clubs,they don’t run the sport.

Don't they? The BSPL is literally every promoter from each club...

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

Don't they? The BSPL is literally every promoter from each club...

Not Quite there are only a few who rule the roost,you should know that by now.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Yup. IMO only way Birmingham should've been granted late change of fixture was on proviso forfeited cup fixture.  

And put them in an even more precarious financial position? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Trees said:

And put them in an even more precarious financial position? 

As I remember they chose to face Leicester for financial reasons. And promotion continually stated losing money every home meeting. So how is losing a meeting where people on here was a very low attendance would have made things worse for them?

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:23 AM, Gambo95 said:

There would be 3 options if it was me in charge.

Give Poole the title.

Have a final between Poole and Glasgow.

Have semi finals between Poole, Glasgow, Scunthorpe and Redcar (removing the teams who didn't race their home match). There should have been a cut off point of the weekend just passed for the quarter finals, next weekend for the semi finals to allow time for the final.

It should be the same in the KOC. Race Poole v Glasgow in the final (Glasgow won't have raced in the KOC since July).

I think it does everyone's head in when cut-off dates are not adhered to,well the initial one anyway.

Hopefully the BSPA , or wotever they are known as these dayz, should make club's and themselves realise that the Finals are held in September and cut-off dates are not to be extended.

It's now Oct 6th & we Pirates don't know where don't know when.....

P.s I refer to the BSPA as BS & we all know wot that stands for!