British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Panthers v Wolves - 2nd leg

13 minutes ago, nw42 said:

It's obvious that they'll have at least one camera there, they even used it to show us the tractor work, I would've been happy to watch a single camera showing of the match at Sheffield, Dave Rowe will be there and is a more than competent commentator, it could have been done quite easily and most of us would have appreciated their efforts for doing it.

Absolutely spot on!!…..Just cos half of the shouty twins (was the other one even at Peterborough or is he at the darts?) wouldn’t have been at Sheffield to commentate, like you say, one camera coverage with the more than competent Dave Rowe commentating would still have been good and better than nothing! They big up the play offs all season, yet can’t be arsed to cover them when they finally arrive!! And people wonder why speedway is regarded as a joke these days!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

This will teach the administrators of the sport and the clubs to sacrifice meetings in the summer months rather than get on and complete this summer sport in August or early September. Unfortunately meetings are driven and dictated by DU riders and those riders who think only themselves in order to screw out the maximum income out of the clubs they ride for without consideration for the fans. Sooner or later these riders with inflated egos and think that the sport owes them a living will be unemployed and then they will wake up to their failings. No wonder this sport is a joke, mismanaged by inept promoters and tail wagging dog riders. They deserve each other.

Yes they never had cup finals in october  in the old days did they ... :rolleyes:  Du riders are needed one because there are enough riders in the first place and two i doubt if many could be a pro rider without two teams ....nothing to do with greed .

Edited by orion

44 minutes ago, iainb said:

Don't know why it took them over an hour to decide the track was waterlogged! Wasted trip from Leicester and cancelled just as I got there. Not happy!

Not as bad as the twice our fans (Edinburgh) were in Leicester sitting in the sunshine when both meetings had been “rained off” because the footy was on. They weren’t happy either

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orion said:

Yes they never had cup finals in october  in the old days did they ... :rolleyes: 

They had plenty,the season always use to end at the end of October.But the bikes are quite different now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, orion said:

Yes they never had cup finals in october  in the old days did they ... :rolleyes: 

They did but they did not have play offs pandering to T.V. schedules and before the play offs those top of the league were champions. Cup matches, 4TT and individuals were end of season fixture fillers. Those were the days and what a spectacular the 16 Lapper final at Ipswich was. Even the individual end of season meetings at Rayleigh were entertaining as was the Essex Gold Cup between Rayleigh and Romford. Today it is so clinical and not as much fun or entertainment. No longer a show for the fans but a turn out for those riders who can be bothered to turn up who are few and far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

They did but they did not have play offs pandering to T.V. schedules and before the play offs those top of the league were champions. Cup matches, 4TT and individuals were end of season fixture fillers. Those were the days and what a spectacular the 16 Lapper final at Ipswich was. Even the individual end of season meetings at Rayleigh were entertaining as was the Essex Gold Cup between Rayleigh and Romford. Today it is so clinical and not as much fun or entertainment. No longer a show for the fans but a turn out for those riders who can be bothered to turn up who are few and far. 

I used to enjoy all the season fillers overseas final, 4TT, Intercontinental final, 16 lapper final even the Blue Riband Poole used to hold.

2 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

I used to enjoy all the season fillers overseas final, 4TT, Intercontinental final, 16 lapper final even the Blue Riband Poole used to hold.

The purist who only sees league racing and refuses to support the speedway as a spectacle has killed off these meetings because no club will risk putting on racing as opposed to league meetings yet if you have an international meeting many speedway fans may well travel to see riders not plying their trade in the domestic league. The fickle fan and the fickle rider are the root cause are one of the reasons why Speedway is on its knees in this country

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

???  what does that matter .. without tv important league matches and Ko cup finals were still  ran in oct .. hardly end of season fixture fillers. People points about Tv are utter garbage .

Live Tv or No live Tv the season has always ran to the End of Oct ... how good the 16 lapper etc were   has nothing to do with that point 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, orion said:

???  what does that matter .. without tv important league matches and Ko cup finals were still  ran in oct .. hardly end of season fixture fillers. People points about Tv are utter garbage 

T V has changed the top tiers sports schedule whereas in years gone by the sport and the meetings dictated the result rather than contrived fixtures. How can you seriously believe that a club who is fourth at the end of the league campaign meaning each team has raced against each other once or twice can then become champions because of the schedule and a change in rider averages which coincides with the play offs. Important meetings took place in October but that was after a full summer of racing, not the intermittent fixture list that exists today. The point is that with six teams in a league and not twelve or more, the sport should not be in a position of holding play offs in October. Yes I can remember meetings going to the wire in late October but not with a piss poor league of six clubs.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hawk127 said:

T V has changed the top tiers sports schedule whereas in years gone by the sport and the meetings dictated the result rather than contrived fixtures. How can you seriously believe that a club who is fourth at the end of the league campaign meaning each team has raced against each other once or twice can then become champions because of the schedule and a change in rider averages which coincides with the play offs. Important meetings took place in October but that was after a full summer of racing, not the intermittent fixture list that exists today. The point is that with six teams in a league and not twelve or more, the sport should not be in a position of holding play offs in October. Yes I can remember meetings going to the wire in late October but not with a piss poor league of six clubs.

Easy it happens in loads of sports and is  accepted by the modern fan with no problem at all as the rules are known before hand .. only oap's who are stuck in a time warp cant understand or accept it .

Yet again to show how stupid your point is the Pl has no Tv  coverage but still has play offs and is still running in oct ... at the end of the day your just the standard old fan who wants no play offs want a one off world final wants to bring back the a Golden Helmet and to bring back second halfs etc 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Not necessarily.  My father lives about 2 miles away from us and it's often raining here but not there and vice versa.  An adult would know that....

Afraid I agree with the nutjob. I'm 8 miles on the other side of Peterborough and if I've got rain and/or puddles then so has the EoES, whatever "it's been dry here all day" message you get from the track. I can't recall getting it wrong too much over the years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Afraid I agree with the nutjob. I'm 8 miles on the other side of Peterborough and if I've got rain and/or puddles then so has the EoES, whatever "it's been dry here all day" message you get from the track. I can't recall getting it wrong too much over the years.

Rain has to stop somewhere. Example: it has been raining on my front driveway and at exactly the same time bone dry in the back garden. !!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Easy it happens in loads of sports and is  accepted by the modern fan with no problem at all as the rules are known before hand .. only oap's who are stuck in a time warp cant understand or accept it .

Yet again to show how stupid your point is the Pl has no Tv  coverage but still has play offs and is still running in oct ... at the end of the day your just the standard old fan who wants no play offs want a one off world final wants to bring back the a Golden Helmet and to bring back second halfs etc 

You really do spout a load of bollocks. You neither know my age or preference when it comes to the sport and I would far rather see up and coming youngsters competing in individual meetings without the pressure of team racing than the contrived crap that is put on today as so called entertainment. You seem to have little ability to grasp the point being made but I can live with that. Each to their own.

Panthers vs Aces final then (probably - barring any disasters)

Edited by Steve0

1 hour ago, ytsejam said:

Absolutely spot on!!…..Just cos half of the shouty twins (was the other one even at Peterborough or is he at the darts?) wouldn’t have been at Sheffield to commentate, like you say, one camera coverage with the more than competent Dave Rowe commentating would still have been good and better than nothing! They big up the play offs all season, yet can’t be arsed to cover them when they finally arrive!! And people wonder why speedway is regarded as a joke these days!

Only these days

• Haha 1