British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ace no.5

SoN 2021 who are your picks for team GB?

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

This has crossed my mind, maybe Tai would step aside and have the weekend off. If he rides you have to pick Bewley because of where it is, anywhere else (apart from perhaps Wroclaw) and it would be Lambert. 

Whichever two get the nod we have a great chance.

Why wud Tai step aside when he as stated so many times how he wants to lead his country to GOLD. 

Av the weekend off? You make it sound like he doesn't give a do da! 

13 hours ago, tellboy said:

People saying who would partner Tai.Why not Lambert and Bewley,just a thought they are the future.Would be good experience for them going forward.It's a tough call,but i expect Tai and either Lambert and Bewley.

For the future? Tai is only 31 and just signed a new 3 year deal with Wroclaw hardly over the hill. 

Who else better to learn from when riding alongside in a major international tournament?

49 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Why wud Tai step aside when he as stated so many times how he wants to lead his country to GOLD. 

Av the weekend off? You make it sound like he doesn't give a do da! 

I'm sure he does give a 'do da', and I fully expect him to ride but just a small part of me wonders if he is ready to hand over the mantle now that we have two young world class riders alongside him. 

Whichever of the three doesn't ride, I want to see him in the pits fully involved, almost as an assistant team manager and fully part of the meetings.

29 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure he does give a 'do da', and I fully expect him to ride but just a small part of me wonders if he is ready to hand over the mantle now that we have two young world class riders alongside him. 

Whichever of the three doesn't ride, I want to see him in the pits fully involved, almost as an assistant team manager and fully part of the meetings.

GOLD is all he strives for & until he achieves that or reaches 99 years old he won't step aside at all. 

I understand wot ur sayin about being involved if not riding but u wud expect that of any team GB squad rider, for example if Lambert isn't picked. 

But u seem to be overlooking all the guidance he's already given to British youngsters away the team GB set up. He gives his spare time up when over ere for the winter or visiting family. 

Look wot he as done for Dan Bewley in Wroclaw. He's shared mechanics, guidance & machinery. 

The GB set up wudn't be wot it is now without Tai being about. Never mind wot Rosco says coz he didn't want the set up that Tai wanted. 

Trust me there's no one more committed to the cause than Tai Woffinden. 

True Grit True Brit :t:

22 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

GOLD is all he strives for & until he achieves that or reaches 99 years old he won't step aside at all. 

I understand wot ur sayin about being involved if not riding but u wud expect that of any team GB squad rider, for example if Lambert isn't picked. 

But u seem to be overlooking all the guidance he's already given to British youngsters away the team GB set up. He gives his spare time up when over ere for the winter or visiting family

Look wot he as done for Dan Bewley in Wroclaw. He's shared mechanics, guidance & machinery. 

The GB set up wudn't be wot it is now without Tai being about. Never mind wot Rosco says coz he didn't want the set up that Tai wanted. 

Trust me there's no one more committed to the cause than Tai Woffinden. 

True Grit True Brit :t:

I'm absolutely not overlooking anything, Tai gets a lot of clog for not riding here but he has done far more for Team GB over the last few years than anyone, I'm pretty sure Lambert and Bewley are as good as they are with more to come because of Tai and the example he has set them with professionalism, diet, fitness etc. I hope he and they are able to do the same for out current crop of U21's which is as good as we've had for a long, long time.

Agree about the GB set up, from what I hear Tai and Rosco never saw eye to eye and without Woffy's input I'm sure it would be nothing like it is now. 

• Like 1

Woffinden, Bewley & Brennan for me! Lambert has touched the tapes a few times & given you could score 12 consecutive 7-2's but lose in the final, I think it's a bit of a risk to trust Lambert to keep still at the start!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, Grachan said:

How daft is that under-21 rule?

It is very stupid, if GB pick Woffinden & Lambert, it would mean dropping a 21/22 year old for a junior! U-21 rule to bring riders on for the future, but Bewley is the future!

Edited by szkocjasid

23 hours ago, Grachan said:

How daft is that under-21 rule?

Extremely daft when there are only 3 riders. The Under 21 rule in the SON only really benefits one country.....Poland! The SWC is due to return every 3 years and would make more sense having an Under 21 in that as the teams will have 5 riders. 

23 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Has to be a close call between Bewley and Lambert. Bewley has the NSS knowledge but Lambert has more international meeting experience. 

I would go with Bewley.He has had a great season at NSS.Lambert might need to get dialled in.

Just now, Fromafar said:

I would go with Bewley.He has had a great season at NSS.Lambert might need to get dialled in.

Pity neither are U21’s 

Just heard this morning it's Woffinden and Lambert

I'm quite surprised I just don't think anyone goes round the NSS as good as Bewley 

1 hour ago, Duckbill said:

I'm quite surprised I just don't think anyone goes round the NSS as good as Bewley 

Bewley was beaten four times in the British Final !

19 minutes ago, Dornier said:

Bewley was beaten four times in the British Final !

I didn't mean he couldn't be beaten, just on the whole he his difficult to beat on his home track.

Anyways decisions been made and he hasn't been picked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duckbill said:

If this is true I'm quite surprised and they've obviously gone with big meeting experience over home track experience. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

If this is true I'm quite surprised and they've obviously gone with big meeting experience over home track experience. 

We've got to remember it's a nice "problem"to have to pick between those three to represent GB but I just thought with the final being at Belle Vue it would have been Bewley+1

• Like 2