British Speedway Forum

This is a sad day for speedway. Colin Pratt served the sport of his choice with diligence and honesty, and was very often a solitary sane voice amongst the sport's administrators.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

Rest in peace Colin.

• Like 1

I have never met the man, but a big name in the speedway world. Very sad. RIP

A constant figure from my first days following the sport.

A very sad loss.

• Like 1

A really nice man who was an excellent rider manager and promoter.

Lovely sense of humour and was a genuine fan of the sport.

He will be missed at Peterborough despite the short time he was here.

• Like 1

I only had the pleasure of speaking to Colin a handful of times, but he was always a very approachable lovely man. A genuine legend in the sport. Condolences to his loved ones. RIP. 

RIP Colin 

I had the pleasure of a mini pit tour at the British GP conducted by Colin. Despite obviously having a long list of duties on the day you would've thought I was his only responsibility at that time

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Friendly guy and very good rider. Spoke to him at Swindon few years ago recalling the time in 1963 when he beat Bjorn Knutson at New Cross riding for PL Select against Southampton.

Survived the terrible crash in Belgium that decimated West Ham.

R.I.P.

Survived the crash but ended his racing career. A terrible time which has stayed in the memory.

Very sad news.....

R.I.P.....

Condolences to his family and friends.....

Really sad to hear this news. Riding career curtailed by Lokeren, but what a second career as an administrator. 

RIP 

Sad news indeed. Another icon lost who gave his all to to speedway both as a rider and later Team Manager/Promoter.

RIP

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

When I started following the sport 51 years ago  Colin was already a big name in the sport (and would still have been riding if it wasn't for Lokeren). That's a hell of a long time to be a major figure in speedway. My condolences to friends and family.

Totally agree. Like you I started following the sport many years back and still remember delivering the Evening News newspaper when they carried the Lokeren disaster on the front page. A dark day for U.K. speedway. Condolences to family friends and colleagues, another sad day for the sport.

R.I.P. + Colin Pratt.

A Speedway legend.

My condolences go to his family and friends.

One Top Bloke - Had pleasure of seeing him turn out one last time as a guest for the Hawks on the Friday before the Lokeran tragity two days later..

Had please of chatting with him in 2017 at Paradise Park, one really nice guy.

RIP Pratty - Hackney Hawks Skipper and Speedway Legend !

Yes, very sad news. Colin gave so much to speedway not just as a rider, manager and promoter but also, after he retired, through the World Speedway Riders' Association, of which he was president in 2011.

I used to see him every week at Hackney of course and then met him several times at various WSRA functions. But perhaps our strangest meeting was when I just happened to bump into him at Liverpool Street Underground Station and we travelled as far as Tottenham Court Road together. This was the first time I actually met him and he must have wondered who this strange person was who suddenly accosted him to talk about Hackney speedway!

• Like 2