British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Colin Pratt R.I.P.

Sad to hear today of Colin's passing after a long illness at age 82. 

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this news.

Yes, very sad news. Colin gave so much to speedway not just as a rider, manager and promoter but also, after he retired, through the World Speedway Riders' Association, of which he was president in 2011.

I used to see him every week at Hackney of course and then met him several times at various WSRA functions. But perhaps our strangest meeting was when I just happened to bump into him at Liverpool Street Underground Station and we travelled as far as Tottenham Court Road together. This was the first time I actually met him and he must have wondered who this strange person was who suddenly accosted him to talk about Hackney speedway!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, norbold said:

But perhaps our strangest meeting was when I just happened to bump into him at Liverpool Street Underground Station and we travelled as far as Tottenham Court Road together. This was the first time I actually met him and he must have wondered who this strange person was who suddenly accosted him to talk about Hackney speedway!

So, you weren't a famous author back then?

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2021 at 8:03 PM, norbold said:

Yes, very sad news. Colin gave so much to speedway not just as a rider, manager and promoter but also, after he retired, through the World Speedway Riders' Association, of which he was president in 2011.

I used to see him every week at Hackney of course and then met him several times at various WSRA functions. But perhaps our strangest meeting was when I just happened to bump into him at Liverpool Street Underground Station and we travelled as far as Tottenham Court Road together. This was the first time I actually met him and he must have wondered who this strange person was who suddenly accosted him to talk about Hackney speedway!

You must have been there in 1963 when Colin Pratt, riding for a Provincial League Select against Southampton at New Cross (I think the home team had an away fixture) beat Björn Knutson,  A Provincial League rider beating one of the "Big Five" was almost unheard of and shows just how well he was riding that year. Sad news indeed that Colin is no longer with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Split said:

You must have been there in 1963 when Colin Pratt, riding for a Provincial League Select against Southampton at New Cross (I think the home team had an away fixture) beat Björn Knutson,  A Provincial League rider beating one of the "Big Five" was almost unheard of and shows just how well he was riding that year. Sad news indeed that Colin is no longer with us.

I was indeed there, Split. It was the only time I ever saw Southampton. I still have the programme (of course!)

• Like 1

Here is my best memory of Colin.  18th July 1967 at West Ham- GB vs. Poland. Poland won 69-37- GB got demolished-however Colin scored 13 points from 6 rides-won 5 of them-next highest scorer was Nigel Boocock with 8.. Colin beat all the top Poles e.g. Woryna, Wyglenda , Waloszek  etc. Any forumlanders there  that night- I think Norbold was-he might have  been the geezer blocking my view !! Great days and great meetings.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Split said:

He mentioned that meeting when I spoke to him at Swindon a few years ago. I still have the prog as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Here is my best memory of Colin.  18th July 1967 at West Ham- GB vs. Poland. Poland won 69-37- GB got demolished-however Colin scored 13 points from 6 rides-won 5 of them-next highest scorer was Nigel Boocock with 8.. Colin beat all the top Poles e.g. Woryna, Wyglenda , Waloszek  etc. Any forumlanders there  that night- I think Norbold was-he might have  been the geezer blocking my view !! Great days and great meetings.

Yes, I was there as well! You could have just asked me to move instead of hitting me over the head with your umbrella though, BOBBATH!

14 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Colin scored 13 points from 6 rides-won 5 of them

You sure he won 5, Bob?

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, chunky said:

You sure he won 5, Bob?

My trusty programme tells me he won four races and had one third.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

My trusty programme tells me he won four races and had one third.

That's the info I had - assuming it was 3 points for a win...

Sorry for the confusion, my mistake-of course you are right Chunky and Norbold- I have my program and filled it out correctly so put it down to my over enthusiasm for Colin's performance. My other memories of Colin , and there are many, go back to the 1964 Prov. League when Hackney looked set to  win the title- 3 excellent heat leaders  in Colin, Roy Trigg and Les McGillivray- until they got overtaken by Newcastle Other than Roy are any members of the 64 Hackney squad still with us- I know that John Poyser has passed also Les' brother Sandy. That year Roy Trigg finished third in the PLRC after a run off with Pete Kelly. Does anyone know if Colin ever qualified for the PLRC Final??

14 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Does anyone know if Colin ever qualified for the PLRC Final??

4 points in 1963, and 7 (and two E/F's) in 1964.

Thanks Chunky-getting back to PLRC-it's amazing to me that Ivor Brown never won it!