British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Yes we a nuts.:)

That's part of the problem! :)

How many fans would prefer to sit on a bend in a foldable chair with a flask of tea and sandwiches wrapped in cellophane  to watch a meeting? Quite a few I'll bet!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

How many fans would prefer to sit on a bend in a foldable chair with a flask of tea and sandwiches wrapped in cellophane  to watch a meeting? Quite a few I'll bet!

No not me , I prefer Belle Vue, Glasgow and Cardiff. Oh and Worky when it was running!

Edited by topaz325

26 minutes ago, dave69 said:

What was the crowd size ?

Average about 5’ 7

sorry no official figure out yet as far as I know

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

If London cannot support a league team as things stand (I know neither does Cardiff) surely the significant difference in accommodation costs etc would put doubt in holding a GP there?

The difference between travelling to Cardiff or London from Scotland for me is negligible but other factors such as cost would certainly influence me.

Trains come in and out of London from everywhere in Britain. The British GP finishes early. I would have  thought fewer people would need accommodation in London than Cardiff.

47 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Trains come in and out of London from everywhere in Britain.

Not when there's a poxy strike on! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

They did it in Prague early in the season, and they doing it in a Torun in a few weeks time.

Prague - That was another pitiful SGP. On the SGP calendar to appeal as a destination not a race track. Possibly the worst track in SGP. 

9 hours ago, Grand Central said:

No matter how many legitimate reasons there may be for such attendance … when does it cease to be financially viable ?

I read on here that VisitWales makes a significant contribution as long as there is no other SGP in the UK ???.  

5 minutes ago, TINYS said:

apparently 19000

I’m getting a feeling of deja vu 

3 hours ago, False dawn said:

I went to Odsal for league meetings and a World Final. And I went to the old Wembley more times than I remember, including the 1981 World Final. There were some great meetings in amoungst all of that. But Cardiff is different. I love the NSS, but I wouldn't go to Manchester for the weekend. Or London, for that matter, if the GP was there. 

Here's a novel thought. Is there no one out there that could improve the Cardiff track so that the racing is up to scatch? A change of material, a bit more banking, a change of shape (there is scope for this, I was looking on Saturday).

To me there looks like there's space to widen the straights by a couple of meters(and still have the FIM 2meter buffer zone), and maybe bring the curb in a little on the bends. The dimensions would be closer to Warsaw which generally produces better racing.

The Track was like a return to the early days of Cardiff  but they had got the track largely right for the last 10 years or so. I think its a good thing the GP is in September next year as there is far less chance of a heat wave, as I believe that is what made the track prep difficult. If this is the case maybe Ole Olsen could release a statement to say something similar as it might reassure fans.

Edited by eric i
  • Like 2

19000 looked about right around a quarter of seats occupied. How many do they need to make it financially viable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

19000 looked about right around a quarter of seats occupied. How many do they need to make it financially viable.

Probably 8000   if they spend enough money in the city bars,restaraunts etc. :D

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Do I get to have a tartan blanket across my knee (with tassels)...?

If so...

Count me in....

Not sure I want wrapping in cellophane though. ..;):D

Edited by mikebv