British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Nothing wrong in holding SGP and SGP2 at the same track. Need the right tracks to do it.

MotoGP/2/3 are together at every round. 

and I think when there is a F1 race there is at least one other formula the same weekend, just not shown as F1 race is so long.

Hilariously inappropriate comparisons.

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

In the Speedway Star today, it said the shale used was what had been used in 2019 and had been stored since, "lessons need to be learned" and an inquiry is being made into the state of the track.

I thought we heard in the past that the shale was being stored in scientific pyramid shapes. I thought lessons would have already been learned by now, considering it's pretty the same promoter. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Nothing wrong in holding SGP and SGP2 at the same track. Need the right tracks to do it.

MotoGP/2/3 are together at every round. 

and I think when there is a F1 race there is at least one other formula the same weekend, just not shown as F1 race is so long.

The obvious issue is that F1 and MotoGP are held on tarmac circuits that don't require much preparation, don't change much from race-to-race and are also largely driveable/rideable when it rains. 

With the best will in the world, a speedway track takes much more preparation and can only take so much pounding before it needs significant reconstitution work. I daresay different events could be held on different days, or even with enough time in-between, but it all adds to the costs and is it really going to pull significantly more fans to justify this? 

23 hours ago, cinderfella said:

If London cannot support a league team as things stand (I know neither does Cardiff) surely the significant difference in accommodation costs etc would put doubt in holding a GP there?

Since when has Cardiff supported a league team?

I suspect a London GP would get the crowds, possibly more than Cardiff (although wouldn't be difficult if only 19,000 turned up this year), but the staging costs and lack of subsidy from the Welsh authorities (although Visit Wales no longer seems to be listed as a sponsor) probably wouldn't justify it. The Olympic Stadium is probably the only realistic option and that doesn't have a roof, so you're running the gauntlet of high staging costs with the possibility of cancellation. 

If you're having to spend a fortune to adapt a venue and build a track, then you need the certainty that the event is actually going to happen.